Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm 

Fairly interesting piece, but obviously not the first time we've read similar stuff.

But what maybe makes it slightly juicier is that it seems to have been pulled from the Cornwall Live website, and the link below just throws up an 'oops' page on their website.

Of course, there may be nothing in it, but who knows? Certainly the taxi provider isn't named, or anything like that - they might have disputed the dad/daughter's version of events and asked for it to be pulled, but if they're not actually named then that would make that less likely as an explanation :?

Cornwall Council taxi driver 'left vulnerable child behind to teach her a lesson'

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ft-5249080

Her angry father has hit out at a Cornwall Council taxi driver

A frustrated father has hit out at a Cornwall Council taxi driver who left his autistic daughter behind at school “to teach her a lesson for being late”.

Jamie Anthony’s 13-year-old daughter has a taxi provided to take her to and from Helston Community College due to her educational health plan.

However, yesterday (Tuesday) Jamie’s daughter arrived at her pick-up point to discover that the taxi had already left.

Jamie, who lives in nearby Breage, said: “Due to my daughter’s health plan she is not able to travel on buses and instead has a taxi provided by the council.

“There’s been several occasions when he’s raised his voice at her and blamed her for being late.

“She’s a teenager and can dawdle but is never excessively late.

“Yesterday she got to the rank at 3:20pm, her class finished at 3:10pm, and he’d driven off. He’d must have left by 3:15pm.

“This sort of thing has gone on a while but yesterday was the tip of the iceberg.

“My daughter’s friend shares the taxi and the driver told her he left her behind to teach her a lesson.”

Jamie’s distressed daughter called him at work and luckily he was working locally, which is often not the case, and literally downed his tools to go and pick her up.

Jamie added: “I’m really angry and frustrated, she didn’t know what to do.

“We’re waiting to hear back regarding a complaint but this time it’s not enough. This driver left a vulnerable child purposefully.

“The driver says he waited until 3:30pm but I have time stamped messages that show he was gone by 3:20pm.”

Cornwall Council said: “Cornwall Council will investigate any complaints made regarding school transport, but we do not comment on individual cases.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 pm 

We have this sort of thing covered in our contracts. If a student (mainstream) is five minutes late then we are told to leave. This can be either at home, or the pick up point, in the morning or school in the afternoon. For SEN we are usually asked to give 10 minutes. The Council say it is the parents responsibility to have them ready on time from home and the schools responsibility in the afternoon. They will not pay us extra waiting time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:27 pm 

Taxi and PH drivers can be a very useful whipping boy for all sides with regards school contracts...that said I'd have went to the School reception to see if she was missing and if that failed i'd have phoned the parents before I left a bairn with special needs all alone.

I've had it where the parents have collected their SEN child but never told the School or the driver....Pee's you off a wee bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:04 pm 

Quote:
“My daughter’s friend shares the taxi and the driver told her he left her behind to teach her a lesson.”

Even if you believe that, don't say it.

It never ends well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:23 pm 

If she is still in the school then she is the schools responsibility . I give them 10 mins then im off.