Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:14 pm 

Taxi drivers in part of Leicestershire 'must speak and write English' to get licence under new rules

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... st-5257746

The new rule is being introduced in Oadby and Wigston borough

Changes to the rules for taxi drivers in part of Leicestershire mean they must be able to speak and write in English.

The new policy came into effect for cab drivers in Oadby and Wigston borough yesterday, as the council responded to fresh government guidlines.

New drivers, and existing drivers renewing their licence, will have to prove they are able to speak and write in English.

In all cases where English is not a licence applicant's first language, they will have to show they have passed a level 2 test in English proficiency.

The new policy states there is "a requirement for all drivers on first application and renewal to provide proof of their proficiency in English, where English is not their first language".

It adds: "The policy requires evidence of an English test up to level 2 to be provided with every application submitted where English is not the first language.

"The purpose of the English Level 2 qualification is to prepare the learner for work, study and life.

"Learners who achieve this qualification will demonstrate the ability to read, write, speak, listen and communicate in English."

There are other new inclusions to the policy for taxi drivers, including training in recognising "County Lines" criminals.

County Lines gangs based in large cities often take advantage of vulnerable and young people in towns, getting them to sell their drugs and use their homes as bases of operation.

The council has decided not to introduce mandatory CCTV cameras inside taxis, however.

The maximum age of vehicles at the point when a first application for a licence is made will be lowered from five to four years, although that will not be brought in until April 2022.

The maximum vehicle age at the point of annual renewal of a licence will be 10 years in 2022 and reduce each year, reaching just six years in 2026. Ultra-low emission vehicles will be exempt from the policy, however.

The changes, agreed by Oadby and Wigston Borough Council last month, were finalised after consultation with the borough's taxi drivers, which resulted in 293 responses, said the authority.

The council did not give any information about the contents of the drivers' responses, but said: "The council has assessed the comments and amended the policy and put measures in place to allow the taxi industry to take appropriate action."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:14 pm 

Quote:
The changes, agreed by Oadby and Wigston Borough Council last month, were finalised after consultation with the borough's taxi drivers, which resulted in 293 responses, said the authority.

The council did not give any information about the contents of the drivers' responses, but said: "The council has assessed the comments and amended the policy and put measures in place to allow the taxi industry to take appropriate action."

293 responses in a small council like Oadby and Wigston? :-o

What's the betting they were all pretty similar? :roll:

Which is maybe why the council's response implies there was no dialogue following the consultation. So we don't know to what extent the consultation impacted on how the policy was amended.

But the council then says the new measures will 'allow the industry to take appropriate action'. Makes it sound like they're doing the trade a favour, but somehow I suspect the trade will be unimpressed by the planned stringency of the age rule, especially when this will start biting by next year :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:57 pm 

Quote:
Changes to the rules for taxi drivers in part of Leicestershire mean they must be able to speak and write in English.

Expecting taxi/PH drivers to speak and write English in England.

Whatever next. [-(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
almost as small as Melton or Rutland but I wonder how many cars and drivers they have in comparison which I suspect is more

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:14 am 

edders23 wrote:
almost as small as Melton or Rutland but I wonder how many cars and drivers they have in comparison which I suspect is more

Indeed, according to the DfT figures (the ones I've got are a couple of years out of date) Melton had fewer than 100 badges, while Rutland has slightly more than 100.

Oadby and Wigston had 444. So something like two thirds of drivers responded to the consultation :-o

What's the betting quite a few of the responses were carbon copies 8-[

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:40 am 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Indeed, according to the DfT figures (the ones I've got are a couple of years out of date) Melton had fewer than 100 badges, while Rutland has slightly more than 100.

Oadby and Wigston had 444. So something like two thirds of drivers responded to the consultation :-o

What's the betting quite a few of the responses were carbon copies 8-[
I think the current figure for Melton is 73.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:37 pm 

grandad wrote:
think the current figure for Melton is 73.

85 dual-badges according to the DfT stats, but that's to 31 March 2018.

But presumably the number of vehicles has also decreased. The 2018 figures show 57 HCs and 19 PHVs. So 76 vehicles in total, therefore that number must have reduced now, or there would be more vehicles than the 73 current badges.

Not an impossible scenario, obviously, but highly improbable - normally badge numbers exceed vehicles, not the other way round.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:21 pm 

The Daily Express has rehashed the story, but interestingly it's emphasised how affluent the area is, using loaded words such as 'leafy' and 'upmarket', and has also briefly outlined the council's politics:

Taxi drivers in affluent area must speak and write English to get licence under new rules

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14183 ... by-Wigston

TAXI DRIVERS must be able to speak and write in English under new changes to licence rules in an affluent borough.[...]

Oadby and Wigston Borough Council was historically controlled by the Conservative Party, but it is now in the hands of the Lib Dems. There are still two Tory seats in the upmarket part of Leicestershire, both of which are in the leafy Oadby Grange area.[...]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:22 pm 

Not sure precisely what point the Express is trying to make here, but maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself in that regard... :-#

The rest of the Express article just parrots the Leicester Mercury piece, though, but it does credit the Mercury as the source.

Loved this opening line as well in the Express's piece, which kind of refers to some of the points made on here about geography etc:

Daily Express wrote:
Cabbies in the Oadby and Wigston borough, which is in Leicestershire...

:lol: