Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:10 am 

You go a whole day without reading an article mentioning DJ Rosie Shannon...

Falkirk woman left 'fearing for her life' after no taxis claims cops 'refused to help' her

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... e-25212848

The 28-year-old says she 'didn't think she was going to make it home alive' after the ordeal on Sunday morning.

A woman was left "fearing for her life" after leaving a Falkirk nightclub and having to take a four mile walk home - because of "a lack of taxis ".

The 28-year-old exited Temple on Burnbank Road in the town during the early hours of Sunday morning, and was unable to get a taxi back to Grangemouth, claiming operators told her they had no drivers available due to a shortage.

After waiting outside the venue for 45 minutes, she decided to start walking, hoping to flag down a cab back home safely - but failed.

She also claims she was later refused help by cops.

The woman, who doesn't want to be named, is now calling for companies and Falkirk Council to give lone women priority bookings to ensure there is always a lift for them.

She said: "The taxi situation in Falkirk is nothing short of shambolic at the minute, wait times are through the roof and it's becoming a frequent occurrence being told by an operator that they have no drivers available.

"I was fearing for my life walking home, I was shaking and in tears. A few people stopped me and asked if I was ok. But none of them were going in my direction and they lived local.

"I had no choice but to start walking because I was working on Sunday morning and I had to get home.

"I think it's time that women who are alone at night get priority bookings - or a night bus service was put on - they have services like that in many towns and cities in England, so why not here?

"I couldn't stop thinking that someone was going to happen to me and that I wasn't going to make it back home alive.

This comes days after we told you a top female Scots DJ was left terrified walking home after a gig in Glasgow at the weekend.

Rosie Shannon, 29, says she now fears for the safety of women due to a lack of taxi drivers following lockdown.

"I live in Grangemouth and go out in Falkirk every weekend - I know the town like that back of my hand", added the woman.

"But it's still not the point, there are so many creeps out there these days. Just look at what happened to Sarah Everard. You can't trust anyone.

"And what made me even more upset was that fact by the time I got to Earl's Gate roundabout at the McDonald's, I spotted a police van so flagged it down.

"I explained my situation and begged them to take me the five minute drive, but they said 'no we are not a taxi service'.

"I totally get that, I do, but I am a woman, I was in tears, and had no shoes on. They could have at least picked me up."

Council bosses say they have not received any complaints of long delays in obtaining a taxi in the area.

In a statement a spokesperson added: "One operator has raised concerns about a lack of taxi drivers.

"During the pandemic some drivers may have switched to other types of work, may still be shielding or may just not want to work the more unsociable hours.

"Although the council grants taxi and private hire drivers licences, we do not have a say in what hours drivers work.

"This is both an individual and a business decision not a licensing authority one.

"We are currently gathering evidence in relation to the situation locally.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We have no record of anyone seeking police assistance at this location in the early hours of Sunday morning.

“However, if the woman wants to make a complaint about officers she can do so via our website or 101.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:11 am 

Quote:
"I totally get that, I do, but I am a woman, I was in tears, and had no shoes on. They could have at least picked me up."

So she's out in a nightclub until Sunday morning, she's working on Sunday morning, and she's walking home with no shoes :-s

But this entitles her to a free lift home in a police van? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well perhaps they can learn to do things the old fashioned way such as booking her taxi/PH home beforehand :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:21 pm 

and as if any bus operator would run a bus especially for one person. There's also a shortage of bus drivers during the day, let alone night time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm 

Quote:
"I was fearing for my life walking home, I was shaking and in tears. A few people stopped me and asked if I was ok. But none of them were going in my direction and they lived local.

So this shoeless lady has no family with a car and no mates with a car.

And she expects drivers to work silly hours to pick up pi**ed up birds with no shoes on.