UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm 

Lincoln taxi driver takes five drink-spiking victims to A&E in just a week

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... ve-6079493

"I have to go the extra mile to help girls"

Image: Lincolnshire Echo/James Turner

A Lincoln taxi driver says she had to take five young women to hospital in just a week.

Carol Houchin, 45, has been a taxi driver for Direct Cars in Lincoln for 20 years and said she was asked to take two girls to A and E after police told her they had been spiked.

Street pastors in Lincoln also asked her to take three other girls to A and E, she said.

Ms Houchin said these instances occurred during freshers week, the first-week university students tend to go out in Lincoln, and happened on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening.

She said: "I spoke to one of the friends who was with a friend who got spiked. She said they'd just come to Lincoln and were from Sheffield studying at the University of Lincoln.

"It was their first night out basically.

"It's not very nice to witness at all, those girls were very vulnerable."

She added: "The friend drank the same amount as what her friend drank and she was absolutely fine.

"She said her friend had left her drink to turn round and speak to someone whilst the bar."

Ms Houchin said once she got the girls to A and E, she went to reception to explain the situation.

She said: "The girls were in no fit state to say anything.

"I got her checked in, I can't just dump her in the middle of A and E and say right, off you go.

"I have to go the extra mile to help girls."

Image: Lincolnshire Echo/James Turner

During her time as a taxi driver, Ms Houchin said she used to think Lincoln was a safe city but said she felt it had now got worse.

She said: "Nights out in Lincoln have definitely got worse, especially for the girls.

"When the coronavirus lockdown was lifted, it's got worse from there.

"It doesn't matter if you're female or male but it is happening more to females."

Ms Houchin also said that she has noticed how dark some streets are when she's dropping people off after a night out.

She said: "I drop girls off in streets with no lights on and I'll always wait until they get indoors.

"It's something I do, male or female.

"The street lights need to be switched back on."

Ms Houchin lives in Hemswell near Gainsborough and has three children, two of whom have left home and an 18-year-old son.

She told Lincolnshire Live that her job is to get people to and from places safely.

She said: "If some girls weren't found by the police or were left in the road, I would hate to think what would happen to them."

Ms Houchin also said she is known as the disco taxi in Lincoln, due to the disco lights on her taxi.

She said: "I like to bring a bit of enjoyment into taking people into town.

"You're not just booking a taxi, I'm going the extra mile.

"A lot of people do recognise me as the disco taxi."

Ms Houchin said she felt very safe as a female taxi driver in Lincoln, and there was a panic button that she can press if she gets into any trouble but said she has never had to use it.

She said: "If girls don't feel comfortable, they can always ring Direct Cars and request a female driver."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm 

Quote:
"A lot of people do recognise me as the disco taxi."

Anyone on here? :lol: 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:13 pm 

Nope. Never heard of her.

She isn’t a taxi driver, and she doesn’t drive a taxi. I do not recognise her as the disco taxi.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:46 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
sounds like she's willing to do the right thing to help vulnerable girls but as Jimbo says she is a PH driver not a cabbie like him

and by the look of her she can pack a hefty punch so I'm sure there's no danger of drunk men trying it on :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:36 pm 

Well done to the lady for ensuring those girls got to hospital, and for highlighting the issue of spiked drinks.

And why not advertise your PH firm at the same time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:44 am 

Sussex wrote:
Well done to the lady for ensuring those girls got to hospital, and for highlighting the issue of spiked drinks.

And why not advertise your PH firm at the same time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

They need advertising like they need another hole in the head. Can’t cope with the work they’ve got, poor things. 100 drivers short. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

I wonder if she’s got a prs licence for her mobile disco?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:44 am 

I've done 22 years of PH driving and never had a Drink Spiked female Passenger yet and she get's 5 in a week!!!.....Lincoln must be a truly dangerous place for young Girls.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 pm 

edders23 wrote:
sounds like she's willing to do the right thing to help vulnerable girls but as Jimbo says she is a PH driver not a cabbie like him

Which is relevant to the point of the article, how? :roll:

But thanks to you and Jimbo for pointing out that she isn't an HCD. The clue was in my thread title.

And here:

And in a press report aimed at the general public 'private hire vehicle disco' doesn't exactly slip off the tongue and doesn't aid public understanding :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 pm 

Anyway, I wonder if Jimbo knows her?

Even in our goldfish bowl of a town and trade, it's amazing what you find out about other drivers and firms occasionally :-o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 pm 

Don’t know her.

This spiked drink thing is getting a lot of publicity right now, including on local radio a male fresher who was a victim. There is some thought that some are being attacked with a needle, but no actual evidence of this. My beef about the casual use of “taxi” by ph drivers and operators is that it blurs the distinction between hackney and ph. I do not need to explain the things that a ph driver in a ph vehicle can and cannot do, do I?
It leads to people approaching a parked ph to ask if they are booked, or available. I sit on the taxi rank at the railway station and never get through a day without someone asking me that very question, which is weird when I’m sat in a purpose built taxi on a taxi rank, which has a bright orange light on the front saying, TAXI! It’s black, it’s LTI! It’s on a taxi rank! But of course the ph drivers on here are more than happy to have blurred lines. :x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:48 pm 

Why the big chip about PH drivers? We simply meet a different demand to yours but don't make such a fuss over the differences of delivery.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
I've done 22 years of PH driving and never had a Drink Spiked female Passenger yet and she get's 5 in a week!!!.....Lincoln must be a truly dangerous place for young Girls.

its a student town :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:51 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Anyway, I wonder if Jimbo knows her?

Even in our goldfish bowl of a town and trade, it's amazing what you find out about other drivers and firms occasionally :-o

in these parts drivers keep to themselves and other drivers for their company so we know next to nothing about other drivers not even their names :wink:

plus our towns and cities whilst not vast are too spacious and well proportioned to fit in a goldfish bowl :lol:

assuming it's the same lady she was formerly a director of white horse cars who I'm sure jimbo has never heard of

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:40 pm 

Quote:
in these parts drivers keep to themselves and other drivers for their company so we know next to nothing about other drivers not even their names :wink:

Which is why you run on starvation rates.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:57 pm 

A 35 year old man has been arrested in Lincoln in connection with drink spiking incidents.