Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:34 pm 

The Birmingham Mail's focus here isn't on the Arrow Cars withdrawal, instead it's the driver's personal plight that's highlighted.

Which is no doubt difficult for him, but I mean, hardly headline news, surely?

Taxi driver struggling on Universal Credit after Arrow Cars quits Birmingham Airport contract

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... t-22322195

Now without a car, dad-of-two Mohammed is having a tough time finding work

Image: Birmingham Mail

An out-of-work taxi driver is relying on benefits to support his young family after a city cab firm terminated its contract with Birmingham Airport.

Arrow Cars has closed its booth outside the arrivals entrance after completing less than two years of its five-year agreement to deliver private hire services to passengers.

Father-of-two Mohammed, from Sheldon, said he is one of around 20 drivers to lose their jobs when the branch ceased operations last week.

The driver claimed the firm were unable to attract enough drivers to make the contract viable.

After handing in the taxi he rented from his former employer, Mohammed is now struggling to find work and has had to sign on for Universal Credit to get by.

He said: "It's put me in a very difficult position. Right now, I couldn't afford to buy the car [from Arrow Cars] so I've had to borrow a car off a friend to get around and so I can keep my family supported.

"I've got two young kids, two and six months old, and now I'm going to have to try and find a car so I can work again, then get it plated up with the council which could take two to three weeks, especially as it's near Christmas.

"I'm going to have to find the money for a car and borrow money off relatives and friends. Car prices aren't cheap.

"Before I went to Arrow, I sold my car but now I've got to buy one. I've seen one but it's out of my budget. I don't have £15,000 to £20,000.

"I need a car that's eligible to go into Birmingham City Centre as well because of CAZ. It's a lot of pressure on me financially.

"I've had to go onto Universal Credit. They've given me an advanced payment to keep me going, so I've got money to get my kids' nappies and stuff.

"It's not an easy situation. My partner is at home with the little one so we have no other income coming in. The majority of the other drivers are in a similar situation too."

Image: Birmingham Mail

Mohammed says part of the reason the taxi firm dropped out of the deal was down to a lack of drivers.

It was reported in November 2018, when Arrow Cars signed the contract, that the cab firm was investing over £1 million in a new fleet for the Solihull hub.

A spokesperson for Birmingham Airport said: "It is with regret that Arrow Cars has decided to suspend its operation at Birmingham Airport, particularly as passenger volumes are recovering incredibly well, with an 130 per cent increase since travel restrictions began to lift in the summer.

"Passengers can continue to use the alternative black cab services available around the clock at the airport, which are located outside the terminal building.”

BirminghamLive has approached Arrow Cars for comment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:35 pm 

Quote:
After handing in the taxi he rented from his former employer, Mohammed is now struggling to find work and has had to sign on for Universal Credit to get by.

Suspect Arrow wasn't actually his 'employer'.

Quote:
"I've got two young kids, two and six months old, and now I'm going to have to try and find a car so I can work again, then get it plated up with the council which could take two to three weeks, especially as it's near Christmas.

"I'm going to have to find the money for a car and borrow money off relatives and friends. Car prices aren't cheap."

Hold the front page - PHD has to finance the purchase of a car and get it plated :roll:

Quote:
"Before I went to Arrow, I sold my car but now I've got to buy one. I've seen one but it's out of my budget. I don't have £15,000 to £20,000."

I saw a £60k Tesla but that's out of my budget as well :-o

Seriously, though, does he really need a £15-20k car to comply with Birmingham's latest PHV spec?

And I'm sure there are plenty other PH operators around who can supply a car, particularly with the current shortage of drivers?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Hmmmm.............

now when I went to BHX last (2 months ago) there was a sign on the arrow "kiosk" saying that Uber were now BHX's taxi partner but no ubers sitting around only the local hackneys

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:12 pm 

Quote:
Now without a car, dad-of-two Mohammed is having a tough time finding work

According to operators and those behind PHTM there are zillions of jobs out there. :-k