Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:36 pm 

Evil Sheffield taxi driver and dad-of-four drove student from nightclub to remote woods and raped her in his cab

A "disgraceful" Sheffield taxi driver has been sentenced for driving a vulnerable student out into a remote location and raping her.

Altaf Hussain, 45, of Silverdale Road, Sheffield, was handed a 15 year sentence at Sheffield Crown Court today (Friday) after being found guilty of two counts of rape on January 26, 2020.

The victim got into Hussain's taxi after leaving Code nightclub in Sheffield city centre and asked him to take her home. However Hussain took her to a remote and wooded location on the edge of Sheffield and raped her in his taxi.

He then took the victim home where her worried housemates contacted the police.

The victim, who can't be named for legal reasons, read out a victim impact statement in court today, in which she said that she had dropped out of studying in Sheffield and moved back home due to the ongoing stress and trauma that she had suffered as a result of the attack.

She said that she had been having nightmares about the rape and "intrusive thoughts every day for the last two years".

She said: "When I was raped I just shut down. I didn't think there was any help.

"I still put on a brave face. Now looking back I can see I was spiralling down and out of control."

She said that she had reached out for help and added: "I want to be strong and let him know that he has not ruined me but it has made my life very hard."

She added that she wanted "some form of closure".

During mitigation, Hussain's attorney told the court that his client was married with four children and was a "community-minded person who was willing to give up his time to assist the community and work within it".

Sentencing Hussain, Judge David Dixon said: "Your character references said you are a helpful member of the community that people found hard to believe could carry out these offences. Those individuals didn't sit through the trial and hear the nonsense that you told to the jury.

"They didn't hear from the complainant of her limited recollection of what happened to her and what you put her through."

Hussain had argued that he didn't realise the victim was intoxicated until some time after she got in his taxi and that she had made approaches to him as he drove her home.

The judge said: "In my judgement you knew from the very moment you saw her that she was vulnerable through drink and at that moment you chose to abuse her.

"The suggestion that she made any sort of advances to you is utterly ludicrous."

Judge Dixon said that he would give Hussain an extended sentence due to the abuse of trust he had carried out in his role as a taxi driver.

The judge said: "People want to trust a taxi driver to do the right thing. To take them home. To take their children home without fear they will be insulted or worse still an offence like this.

"Your offending has repercussions across the whole of the city. It influences the way people trust taxi drivers generally.

"People will wonder if he has done it how many will.

"In my opinion this is clearly an abuse of trust."

The judge also said he believed that there was a possibility Hussain had carried out similar offences in the past that had not been reported.

He added: "The way in which you carried out this offence greatly troubles me. There was no hesitation. You knew where to take her and had no concern of dropping her off at her home.

"Even if I'm wrong here you were clearly faced with a young woman who was vulnerable. It's right that you face a significant time in custody."

Hussain was sentenced to 15 years, of which he will serve at least six and a half years. He was also given a lifetime restraining order against the victim.

Judge Dixon said: "You are a disgraceful man who has abused a young woman whose life has been changed for your own satisfaction."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:37 pm 

Quote:
The judge also said he believed that there was a possibility Hussain had carried out similar offences in the past that had not been reported.

He added: "The way in which you carried out this offence greatly troubles me. There was no hesitation. You knew where to take her and had no concern of dropping her off at her home.

"Even if I'm wrong here you were clearly faced with a young woman who was vulnerable. It's right that you face a significant time in custody."

Hussain was sentenced to 15 years, of which he will serve at least six and a half years. He was also given a lifetime restraining order against the victim.

Judge Dixon said: "You are a disgraceful man who has abused a young woman whose life has been changed for your own satisfaction."

My kind of judge. =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:52 pm 

Nothing particularly remarkable here. Just really a damage limitation excercise from the council in terms of PR and politics, and much the same from the trade in the commercial sense :?

Sheffield taxi rape: council reveals safety measures as fellow drivers condemn 'heinous' crime

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sh ... me-3527088

Sheffield Council says a taxi driver who raped a young passenger had his licence suspended as soon as it was notified of his arrest.

Members of Sheffield Council’s licensing sub-committee are now expected to revoke Altaf Hussain’s licence after the 45-year-old was found guilty of two counts of rape and jailed for 15 years.

When asked whether an inquiry will be held following the shocking crime, the council did not give an answer but it described the measures which are already in place to ensure the safety of taxi passengers in the city.

Fellow taxi drivers have also condemned the crime but insist that Sheffield has a ‘proud’ record when it comes to safety and claim passengers should not be put off by what they say was an isolated incident.

What happens when a taxi driver applies for a licence?

Sheffield Council told The Star that anyone applying for a licence must undergo a range of tests and checks, and that safeguarding training checks are also made to the National Anti-Fraud Network database on refusals and revocation of hackney carriage and private hire licences.

And it added that applicants are also required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure Certificate check through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

Once a licence is granted, the council said, holders must be able to show proof of continuous registration with the DBS Update Service to enable the council to routinely check for new information every six months or face suspension.

South Yorkshire Police revealed how Hussain, formerly of the Ecclesall area of Sheffield, had picked up his 18-year-old victim in January 2020 and driven her to a secluded area where he raped her.

What have taxi drivers said about the shocking crime?

Following Altaf Hussain’s sentencing at Sheffield Crown Court last Friday, Sheffield taxi driver Ibrar Hussain said: “In my 34 years as a taxi driver, this is the first time I’ve heard of a taxi driver doing something like this in Sheffield.

“We’re working very closely with the licensing authority and with the police to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again.

“This is one awfully sad incident that’s shocked us all, but, rest assured, 99.999 per cent of drivers are very, very safe and the drivers in Sheffield want to be a beacon for drivers across the country.”

Mr Hussain added that Sheffield Council already had in place a ‘very rigorous process’ for people applying to become a taxi driver.

But he reiterated his concerns about cross-border working, which means people who are licensed in one part of the country can work anywhere else in the country, and said he would advise passengers to make sure before getting into a taxi that it’s a Sheffield-licensed vehicle.

Lee Ward, chairman of the taxi drivers group ALPHA (A Local Private Hire Association), said: “Thankfully in Sheffield this is a very, very rare occurrence where a taxi driver commits such a heinous crime as that. It’s so rare that the trade in Sheffield is proud of its record.”

He added: “People should be able to step into a taxi knowing the driver’s a fit and proper person they can rely on to get them home.”

Mr Ward advised passengers to only flag down licensed Hackney cabs or pre-book their journey with a reputable company, and to only use drivers who are licensed in Sheffield.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:23 pm 

Quote:
Sheffield Council says a taxi driver who raped a young passenger had his licence suspended as soon as it was notified of his arrest.

Members of Sheffield Council’s licensing sub-committee are now expected to revoke Altaf Hussain’s licence after the 45-year-old was found guilty of two counts of rape and jailed for 15 years.

Someone needs to remind that council of the law.

They can't revoke once they have suspended a license, in fact they shouldn't have suspended it in the first place. They should have revoked as soon as they became aware of the matter(s) he was arrested for.

It might not make sense to the layman to do it that way, but that's the way the courts decided it needs to be done.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19698

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Someone needs to remind that council of the law.

They can't revoke once they have suspended a license, in fact they shouldn't have suspended it in the first place. They should have revoked as soon as they became aware of the matter(s) he was arrested for.

It might not make sense to the layman to do it that way, but that's the way the courts decided it needs to be done.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/vie ... 13&t=19698

Think his badge will expire before he gets out.