Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:28 pm 

By the sounds of stuff in the comments, maybe a pretty short run, so wouldn't be surprised if the driver was in a bad mood because of that.

But would certainly be interested to hear his side of things.

And despite a couple of uses of the word 'allegedly', this slightly lengthy piece certainly seems to have made up its mind who is in the wrong here [-(

And, more to the point, the headline says the driver 'hit' the dad, while the article doesn't even allege that ](*,)

Edinburgh mum terrified after journey with taxi driver who 'hit' husband

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... y-23904155

The local mum has been left 'shaken' by the worrying incident that took place on Sunday afternoon and explained she has never felt fear for her ten month old son like it.

Image: Edinburgh Live

An Edinburgh mum has been left terrified after a journey with a taxi driver who locked the doors of the his cab before allegedly following the couple and trying to 'hit her husband in front of their ten month old son.

The incident took place on Tuesday afternoon (May 8), between Market Street and The Meadows area of the city, and has been reported to the council.

Nikita Ray, 32, and husband Amitava Ray, 40, were returning from a pleasant afternoon in the city centre when they arrived at Waverley Station to grab a taxi.

The mum-of-one says her "mind is wrecked" after never being so scared for her baby son.

The couple told how they had travelled by taxi many times before, after an afternoon on Princes Street and never faced any issues.

When they entered the licensed taxi and explained where they wanted to travel to, she alleges the taxi driver claimed he could not hear them and shouted at them to repeat the address.

The driver reportedly had headphones in and after the third time of being unable to hear their destination he lost his temper becoming rude and abusive.

It was around this point the driver "hurled abuse" at the family and locked the doors which immediately alarmed the couple travelling with their son.

Finally the driver reportedly stopped on a quiet side street, and after Nikita's husband paid to allow them to get out, but to their shock the taxi driver got out to and allegedly took a swing at her husband.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live Nikita said: "I was travelling with my husband and my ten-month-old baby boy.

"We just finished lunch and were taking this taxi back home from the Waverley taxi stand as we usually take taxis from there whenever we go to Princes street.

"The taxi man asked 'where do you want to go?' So my husband said 'Quartermile' I know my husband was loud enough the taxi driver then said 'I can’t hear where' and again my husband repeated again.

"The taxi man said 'Where?! talk louder I can’t hear, why are you talking to yourself?'

"The driver was talking and had earphones on as well as listening to music, so I told my husband not to get angry.

"My husband was going to say stop and we would get out the car but the taxi man sped off, we travelled and all was silent."

As the black cab came closer to the family's destination the situation turned from uncomfortable to intimidating as the driver lost his temper.

She continued: "Our location was around the corner so my husband asked him to stop the car again he said 'I can’t hear why are you talking to yourself' my husband said why are you being rude please talk properly to your customer .

"He said you 'bloody animal cow' and started abusing us and then locked the car from inside not letting us get out of the car .

"So my husband tried to open so I quickly took pics of the car number and the complaint section and he asked my husband to pay.

"He paid and I said please open the car. After two minutes he opened it and followed us outside and came to hit my husband.

"My husband defended himself, I then noticed the taxi did not reach our destination but a little bit away from it in a place where there was no one around.

"He came twice after to try and hit my husband."

The worried mum continued: "Then I told the taxi man please and go back to your car and told my husband quietly that we would file a complaint to just let it be not to argue

"We later came to know his name because my husband paid the cab by card, so his name came up so we came home and wrote an email to the council.

"We felt very unsafe and I was scared for my baby plus he wasn’t driving very well at all, it more like he was driving with anger."

The mum has been left shaken by the incident and explained she has never felt fear for her ten month old son like it.

She continued: "I wanted you to mention that my husband never hit back so that whenever people come with contact dangerous people to remain calm in the situation and not take law into their hands or else worse happens."

The City of Edinburgh Council have been contacted for comment regarding the incident.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkFk_PAsGA

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:27 pm 

Haha, believe it or not I almost posted that very video a few weeks ago. It was the, er, well it could be relevant to many an article on here 8-[