Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:51 am 

Taxi passenger pulls driver from cab, punches him, steals car then attempts to mow him down

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... e-23860587

Kieran Dawes, 21, carried out the attack and robbery in the early hours of January 31 in Stockton

Image: Gazette Live

A passenger beat a taxi driver and stole his car before returning and attempting to mow down his victim, a court heard.

In the early hours of January 31, Kieran Dawes, 21, robbed a Boro Taxis driver of his vehicle, money and phone after riding as a passenger. Teesside Crown Court heard the driver collected Dawes shortly before 1am from his home on Densham Drive, Stockton.

Prosecutor Emma Atkinson said the defendant was speaking to a woman on the phone whilst inside the car claiming he did not have enough money to pay the fare. She said Dawes gave the driver an address on Darlington Lane and shortly before arriving asked him to pull over and got out of the vehicle.

She said: "The driver lowered the window to speak to the defendant and at this point he grabbed him by the jacket, unfastened his seat belt and pulled him from the vehicle. He then punched him twice in the face jumped into the car and drove off."

The court heard around 30 minutes later the defendant returned in his vehicle mounted the curb and appeared to try and run the taxi driver down. Dawes also became abusive and hit the victim before fleeing the scene.

The car was recovered with £400 worth of damage. Ms Atkinson said the victim "prayed nobody would have to go through what he went through and described himself as a quiet person who has never had an argument or a fight in his life."

'I'm so ashamed of what I did to you'

In mitigation, the court heard the defendant had written a letter to the victim. it read: "I would like to apologise for what I have done.

"I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you. I'm so ashamed of what I did to you and am deeply sorry for all the pain and stress.

"I've never done anything like this before and will have to live with this for the rest of my life. I wish I could have the opportunity to apologise to you face to face so I can properly express my remorse."

The defence also claimed days prior to the robbery the Teessider attempted to take his own life and was in serious financial difficulties. It was also heard he could not explain his actions and appeared to suffer a mental breakdown at the time. He pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Judge Stead sentenced Dawes to two years imprisonment.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:52 am 

Quote:
The court heard around 30 minutes later the defendant returned in his vehicle mounted the curb and appeared to try and run the taxi driver down. Dawes also became abusive and hit the victim before fleeing the scene.

Very odd to return 30 minutes later, and the victim is still on the pavement? :-k

Anyway, for a change it seems the use of 'mow down' here was wholly appropriate. But at least it seems he wasn't successful :?

As for the defendant's letter to the victim... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:58 pm 

Quote:
and will have to live with this for the rest of my life.

Good.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:00 pm 

Quote:
As for the defendant's letter to the victim... :roll:

Not sure it's a legal term, but a term that could sum up the letter would be a 'load of old fanny'.

Which the judge didn't fall for. =D>

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:56 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
another animal that society needs to be rid of

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !