Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:46 am 

Not really much here other than stating the obvious. Plenty photos, though :?

But if they're spending a ton *more* on fuel per week then they must be doing a lot of work :-o

Harsh reality of being a Brighton taxi driver during the cost of living crisis

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/cost- ... es-7211173

Cab drivers in Brighton and Hove are "going to have to have deep pockets" in the cost of living crisis

Brighton and Hove’s taxi drivers have said their "standard of living is declining" as increased fuel costs hit the pockets of the city’s cabbies. Many of the drivers said they are now spending between £50 and £100 more on fuel each week to run their cars.

This means that for some drivers they are taking home up to £400 less a month than they were before the impacts of the cost of living crisis could be felt. “Now I do look for the cheapest fuel,” 55-year-old Dave Johnson said, who has been driving taxis for 12 years.

Image: Martin Burton/SussexLive

“My standard of living is declining. Or I will have to work longer hours,” he continued. The problem with that he said is that he would then use even more fuel and would have no work-life balance.

However, another drive, Dave, added that he feels lucky to drive a hybrid vehicle but still estimated his weekly running costs have risen by at least £50 in recent months. Also at the taxi rank behind Brighton Station was driver of 28 years 74-year-old Tony Anchor and 52-year-old Nick Wiltshire.

Tony also drives a hybrid while Nick does not and he revealed: “My fuel costs are at least £100 more a week at the moment, it’s definitely coming up to that.” Tony then continued that for him it now takes seven days to earn the same as he used to in six.

He said: “As the month gets older the work gets less - everybody is living hand to mouth. It needs to be the right price for us and the right price for the customer.” Further down the rank 58-year-old Simon Hill who has two children said he is relatively new to the profession and joined during the pandemic to ‘keep the money coming in’.

Based on this short period of time he said: “If the income was stable I reckon I’m looking at being between 15 and 20 per cent down. I haven’t got the exact numbers but it’s a large amount.”

Taxi drivers licenced in Brighton and Hove were able to increase their prices in May by five per cent following a council fare review. This was in line with inflation at the time but has been called ‘unnoticeable’ after fuel prices skyrocketed shortly after the increase.

A director at Streamline Taxis and a trade rep for Brighton and Hove Cab Trade Association Andrew Peters highlighted that all of the drivers licenced in the city are self-employed and pay for their own fuel. He said: “The actual fuel prices are having to be borne by the drivers themselves so we’re going to have to have deep pockets.”

Andrew - who has been a taxi driver himself for 40 years - recalled the oil crisis of the 1990s and said help was put in place for the industry then. Now he said there is a WhatsApp group where people share the cheapest petrol and diesel prices they have seen on a daily basis.

It was estimated that there are around 1,000 taxis in operation across the city. Roughly 550 of these are the white and aqua Hatton Carriage vehicles while the remainder are private hire vehicles.

“We’ll survive,” Andrew concluded. “I’ve been through so many changes in my years in the cab trade so we’ll get through this. Having said that I know other businesses are suffering - we’re all suffering. But the only thing is we can’t put our prices up, we’re restricted.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:41 pm 

Quote:
But if they're spending a ton *more* on fuel per week then they must be doing a lot of work :-o

Business is very good.

Partly due to more punters coming out and actually enjoying themselves, partly down to many eastern and southern European drivers going home around March 2020 and not coming back, partly down to many of the older and part-time drivers not renewing during the lockdown years, and partly down to journeymen and some owners realising that the grass is in fact greener elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:45 pm 

Clearly the increase in fuel is doing no one any good.

But any journalist that expects to get the truth from taxi drivers, waiting at a rank, is as naive as you can get. [-(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:15 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Journos don't look for truth they look for a few words they can sensationalise and twist into a story !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !