Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
StuartW wrote:
By the way I, er, arranged to have most of the quotes in the thread removed. There was about 16 of them (including nested quotes), and they make the thread look a bit untidy, so there [-(

Never see the point of quoting the *whole* of the previous post in the next post, particularly if there's a huge amount of quote, and only a few words of reply :idea:

There's even worse than that, though. I mean, some people posting the *first reply* in a thread quote the whole of the *first post* :shock:

Never really see the need to quote the *whole* of the first post of the thread *anywhere* in the replies, at least in normal circumstances [-(

Sometimes the quotes are there for a good reason

Have you thought about that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:46 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
StuartW wrote:
By the way I, er, arranged to have most of the quotes in the thread removed. There was about 16 of them (including nested quotes), and they make the thread look a bit untidy, so there [-(

Never see the point of quoting the *whole* of the previous post in the next post, particularly if there's a huge amount of quote, and only a few words of reply :idea:

There's even worse than that, though. I mean, some people posting the *first reply* in a thread quote the whole of the *first post* :shock:

Never really see the need to quote the *whole* of the first post of the thread *anywhere* in the replies, at least in normal circumstances [-(

Now you can fix this one too :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:38 am 

bloodnock wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
StuartW wrote:

Now you can fix this one too :lol:

So what was the good reason for the quotes, then?

All I could see was the whole of the post above quoted in the next post, which doesn't seem a good reason, particularly where there are several 'nested' quotes in each reply, and the quoted text was several times longer than the actual response :-s

But thanks for demonstrating in your response above precisely what I was getting at, and why there's no 'good reason' to repeat a whole load of stuff in a quote =D>

I mean, are readers actually meant to reread all the stuff in such a response? Spend ten minutes reading all the quoted stuff, and 30 seconds reading the actual response :lol:

But maybe best to leave your responses and my response here to demonstrate my original point :D