Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:47 pm 

Cost of living crisis: Southampton Uber drivers call for commission decrease

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/202417 ... -decrease/

A TAXI driver couple are calling for a reduction in commission rates as they struggle to pay the bills.

Husband and wife Richard and Emma Campbell, 46 and 41 respectively, are now paying around 50 per cent more for fuel – and working overtime to cover the costs.

The pair from Sholing have worked for Uber for four years but say the company needs to make changes in order to keep drivers.

Richard said: “Our electricity bill has doubled in the last six months, our fuel bill has gone up by 50 per cent, food costs have gone up and yet my income hasn’t gone anywhere.

“I am having to work for the same amount of money and make it last longer.

“Something’s got to give. Uber will have to change its commission charge otherwise people are going to leave the company.

“The only thing they can do is reduce the percentage they take from drivers.

“We agreed to a price when we joined but things have changed. We don’t have the same earning potential based on expenses as we used to.”

Richard and Emma started working in the taxi industry 18 years ago so they could have children and spend time with them due to the flexible nature of the job.

However, current circumstances have turned their lifestyle on its head.

Emma said: “Most of us start this job because of the freedom it provides.

“My husband and I are both working another half shift or full shift to cover the extra we are paying for petrol, meaning we have lost time spent with our two children.

“What usually costs me £40 is now costing me £65 minimum and I fill my car up about twice a week, my husband three times.

“We are over £100 a week down so there is extra money we have to earn.

“Saturday nights are our busiest nights but we have been going home and not meeting our targets, meaning we have to work on Sunday.

“This is our only day off with our kids so it is putting us in a difficult situation with a horrible choice to make.”

Uber hiked their prices by 20 per cent earlier this year after applying VAT.

This change came into force after a high court ruled last December that Uber could not be viewed as simply an agent but should be regarded as the contractor.

Emma said: “I think Uber is very reluctant to put their prices up because of the cost of living crisis and high fuel prices.

“They have already had to do a 20 per cent increase, unlike local companies.

“If they put their prices up again they will be more expensive than other companies which isn’t what they want.

“They are in a tough situation but they could start by cutting the amount of commission we pay them which is about 25 per cent for the regular service, Uber X.

“If they dropped that down to 20 or 15 per cent that would cover at least the increase in petrol prices.”

GMB Union is working with Uber to improve their “members’ experience.”

Ali Haydor, Chair of GMB National Reps (Uber Drivers) said: “We are in talks with Uber to improve our members' experience while working on the Uber platform.

“We are considering all options in order to assist our members.

“At a local level, we are also in discussions with the council leader about making changes to the current licencing conditions on Private Hire vehicles, which will allow drivers to work for multiple platforms in real times.

“This, in turn, opens up more opportunities for better fares and earnings.”

Uber did not respond to the Echo's request for a comment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 am 

A blue beard? :-o

Since he's an Uber PHD, some might call him Bluebeard the Pirate :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:04 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
A blue beard? :-o

Since he's an Uber PHD, some might call him Bluebeard the Pirate :lol:

I can see it now uber management " you want to pay less commission" :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

10 minutes of rolling around on the floor later " perhaps if you economise on the pies you might be able to afford it"

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !