Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:18 pm 

Can't be bothered looking into this, but wouldn't be surprised if the firm's extensive efforts to 'debunk' the allegations in fact do nothing of the sort, and in fact are just intended to deflect from the details of what actually happened.

Also hints of the 'Streisand effect' as well - they've kicked up such as stink about it, it's probably made it look worse for them than if they'd just ignored it. Now it's all over the local press, rather than just Facebook :-s

Doncaster taxi firm hits back at driver pictured flytipping rubbish in country lane

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/ne ... ne-3761988

A Doncaster taxi firm has hit back – after one of its drivers was pictured reportedly flytipping rubbish in a quiet country lane.

Image: Doncaster Free Press

Pictures of the incident were widely shared on social media after an angry motorist encountered the Absolute Cabs driver in Holme Lane near to Thornhurst Manor, north of Doncaster.

When he challenged him about the pile of wood at the side of the Volkswagen taxi, the cabbie reportedly replied: “The country’s a s*** hole anyway” before driving off.

Golfer Ian Evans, who took photos of the incident, reported the flytipping to Doncaster Council and Absolute Cabs who have responded in a series of lengthy posts on social media, defending the cabbie – who has only been identified as ‘Driver 23.’

The firm even posted a detailed graphic headed “this is the story” with timings, maps, routes, the speed the taxi was travelling and testimonies from customers in a vid to debunk the allegations.

Mr Evans, who was on his way home after playing golf at Thornhurst Manor last Friday lunchtime said: “I was driving back towards the A19 when I spotted this car pulled up.

"As I drove past, he was taking stuff out and throwing it in the ditch.

"I said: ‘what are you doing, it’s out of order, you are flytipping’ and his exact words to me were: “The country’s a s*** hole anyway” and just carried on.

"Another driver behind me witnessed what was going on too. When I told the driver I was taking photos of him and that I would report him, he just carried on saying ‘do what you want’ before driving off.

"It is absolutely disgusting.

“When I called Absolute Cabs to complain, they were just defending him and saying there was no proof. I’m not randomly going to take photos of a man and plaster them all over Facebook for the sake of it.

"The guy was flytipping loads of wood and didn’t seem bothered at all.”

Image: Doncaster Free Press

Absolute, which is based in East Laith Gate, took to social media to defend itself against the allegations, making a number of lengthy posts, sending a driver to the scene, sharing photos of other cases of flytipping in the area and posting videos of the lane where the incident took place.

A spokesman said: “You may be surprised about the level of detail we can drill in to when investigating a matter.

"When there is public concern, it is always a good opportunity to test how robust your processes are and we took the step of contacting ALL customers who had travelled with Driver 23 at the time prior to the alleged fly tipping event.

"Our customers that we called gave their accounts of their journeys and we asked them if there was anything unusual about the journey and whether they used the boot of the car.

“We asked the customers whether there was any wood in the vehicle, over the rear seats or in the boot and specifically if they used the boot as part of the hire. One lady laughed and said “well, I was on the way to the races with my girlfriend in the rear seat and we would have been very upset and complained immediately if there was wood in the car.”

"As for Driver 23 we await to see evidence that he has actually deposited wood and left it at the road side because his customers are saying he didn’t have any in his car.

"What has transpired is how one social media post publicly shaming a driver for an allegation that should have been made as a “report” to the local council to investigate, has ended up putting this driver’s safety at risk due to 2.5k shares humiliating the man, shaming him without allowing the event to be investigated first.

"We have done our part and spoke to all the customers served to ascertain independent reports that may corroborate the allegation, however, we have found that they do not.”

Mr Evans says he has since been bombarded with phone calls from the firm and added: “I told them I didn’t want to speak to them anymore. They kept calling up and defending him and making all sorts of statements on Facebook.

"I told them they were just as bad as he was.”

"I’ve reported to Doncaster Council and I’m leaving it to them to sort out now.”

The wood has since been removed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:19 pm 

Quote:
Absolute, which is based in East Laith Gate, took to social media to defend itself against the allegations, making a number of lengthy posts, sending a driver to the scene, sharing photos of other cases of flytipping in the area and posting videos of the lane where the incident took place.

That's the kind of stuff I'm getting at - I mean, what has any of that to do with whether or not the driver actually dumped the wood?

And the speed of the vehicle, and suchlike. And customer testimonies in videos. I mean, was the claim that he was speeding or that there were customers in his vehicle when he dumped the wood? :lol: :-s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:53 am 

Maybe I misjudged the driver and firm, but Doncaster Council certainly consider the matter closed.

On the other hand, call me cynical, but... [-(

But this is worth reading for the sheer 'he said, she said' character of it all. (Except no evidence any women involved.)

Taxi driver flytipping row was 'honest misunderstanding' says Doncaster Council

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/ne ... il-3776546

Doncaster Council has confirmed it will be taking no further action against a taxi driver embroiled in a flytipping row, saying the incident was an ‘honest misunderstanding.’

A bitter war of words erupted after the Absolute Cabs driver was accused of dumping wood in a quiet country lane and telling the motorist who confronted him: “The country’s a s*** hole anyway.”

Absolute hit back, saying the incident was ‘a hate crime’ while Ian Evans, the driver who shared details of the incident to social media maintains the cabbie was dumping rubbish and accused the East Laith Gate firm of lying to save face.

Now Doncaster Council has waded into the dispute – and says that no further action will be taken.

A spokesman said: “Following a fly tipping report received to the council earlier this month, our Environmental Health Team conducted a thorough investigation, including using detailed CCTV analysis, into the report of alleged fly tipping in the Holme area and the alleged tipping of wood material.

“As part of the investigation, a man was questioned under caution and has since been informed that no further action will be taken.

"Officers are confident that the incident in question was an honest misunderstanding - the litter and waste in question have now been removed from the area.

“We take all reports of fly tipping extremely seriously and are grateful to all the reports we get from the public, which we will continue to always investigate thoroughly.”

Absolute Cabs staunchly defended it driver, going to extreme lengths to disprove the allegations, releasing details of the driver’s routes, calling up other passengers to testify on his behalf, driving out to the scene to film the area and saying that pieces of wood couldn’t have fitted in the cab due to their size.

Golfer Ian Evans confronted the cabbie – identified only by the firm as Driver 23 – after he says he spotted him throwing the wood into a ditch from the back of his cab in Holme Lane near Thornhurst Manor.

When challenged, the cabbie reportedly told Mr Evans: “The country’s a s*** hole anyway” before driving off.

Earlier this week, Absolute claimed the incident was racially motivated.

A spokesman said: “Our investigation that was also independent has now been concluded and we will not be taking any action ourselves against the driver.”

“It has been suggested that this maybe a hate crime due to a false allegation or simply an attempt to slur or generate a purposeful boycotting of Absolute Cabs.

“We are glad damages were limited to Facebook, Doncaster Free Press and didn’t reach national television.”

But Mr Evans and others hit back against the firm.

One said: “How can this be a hate crime?

"I saw the original post and the poster did not mention anything to do with race or religion. It was just an accusation that had no video evidence and therefore was not proved.”

Mr Evans said: “Lies again – they said there were insufficient evidence and couldn’t 100% prove it was true or not.

"I know what I saw I know what he said - I have no reason nor would I lie to tarnish any person or business.

"What I saw was your driver fly tipping so put what you like on here – anything to save face!”

Absolute owner Jaan Saqlain replied: “Surely DMBC believe driver 23 and we have this conformation on email, not our words,we stand with our honest, truthful driver 23.”

“I am sorry to say you are bull sh*****. Driver 23 is a respectful family person - I have never heard him swear in my life and I am 52 years old.

"What you saw was an innocent person parked up next to someone else’s fly tipped wood and accused him for something he never done wrong. We get quite a lot of racist complaint that’s why we have very sophisticated system to protect our drivers."

The firm also said that the driver had been looking for some wood for a home improvement project and had stopped to inspect the debris to see if it was suitable.

Pictures of the incident were widely shared on social media after Mr Evans confronted the driver of the Volkswagen.

But Absolute Cabs denied any wrongdoing, even posting a detailed graphic headed “this is the story” with timings, maps, routes, the speed the taxi was travelling and testimonies from customers in a vid to debunk the allegations.

Mr Evans, who was on his way home after playing golf at Thornhurst Manor said: “I was driving back towards the A19 when I spotted this car pulled up.

"As I drove past, he was taking stuff out and throwing it in the ditch.

"I said: ‘what are you doing, it’s out of order, you are flytipping’ and his exact words to me were: “The country’s a s*** hole anyway” and just carried on.

"Another driver behind me witnessed what was going on too. When I told the driver I was taking photos of him and that I would report him, he just carried on saying ‘do what you want’ before driving off.

"It is absolutely disgusting.

“When I called Absolute Cabs to complain, they were just defending him and saying there was no proof. I’m not randomly going to take photos of a man and plaster them all over Facebook for the sake of it.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 am 

Absolute Cabs wrote:
“It has been suggested that this maybe a hate crime due to a false allegation or simply an attempt to slur or generate a purposeful boycotting of Absolute Cabs.

Ah, the hate crime card 8-[

And not just accusing the complainant of generating a boycott of the firm, but a *purposeful* boycotting, whatever that is :-o

Absolute Cabs wrote:
“We are glad damages were limited to Facebook, Doncaster Free Press and didn’t reach national television.”

Yes, I'm amazed it wasn't on BBC News at Ten or Sky News =D>

Absolute Cabs wrote:
“I am sorry to say you are bull sh*****. Driver 23 is a respectful family person - I have never heard him swear in my life and I am 52 years old.

Yes, that proves conclusively he didn't dump the wood :lol:

And ironic that Mr Absolute Cabs uses a word that the newsapaper feels the need to censor when making the point that the accused driver has never sworn in his life :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:20 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
all posts by Stuart nobody else could give a "monkeys" about it :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:06 pm 

Gosh, 7.5 billion people in the world couldn't give a monkeys about what StuartW writes on here? Who knew? :-o

And, dear Edders, I care even less about your opinion on that than you care about my posts :badgrin:

And, as I've said umpteen times before, you know my name by now, so why not just totally ignore me :idea:

Funny thing, though, day after day, year after year, you come back and read what I've posted :D

Even when you've left the trade. Allegedly :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:28 pm 

oh dear that joke went way over your head :shock: :lol:

and I have sold my business not left the trade although I am refusing all offers at the moment as I am enjoying not putting in 60+ hours a week. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:10 pm 

edders23 wrote:
oh dear that joke went way over your head :shock: :lol:

Think something must have got lost in the translation somewhere :-o

And, as regards your other point, you can surely do stuff in the trade without putting in 60+ hours? :x

I certainly manage. Then again, that's why I'm always short of cash :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:39 pm 

And, while 7.5 billion people might NOT be reading what's on here, surely the small number who do read can't fail to be transfixed by my analysis of the taxi ranks in St Andrews, say? :-o :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:52 pm 

StuartW wrote:
And, while 7.5 billion people might NOT be reading what's on here, surely the small number who do read can't fail to be transfixed by my analysis of the taxi ranks in St Andrews, say? :-o :oops:

that's a different thread :wink: and I have read some of it !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:39 pm 

Keep posting and replying Stuart ..i read them :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:38 pm 

Thanks - at least I know at least one person reads my ramblings 8-[

And Edders :D