Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:13 pm 

Heavily pregnant Nottinghamshire woman 'kicked out of Uber and left stranded' on hottest day ever

A heavily pregnant woman claims she was left "stranded" with her partner on a busy road on Nottingham's hottest day after they were kicked out of a taxi. The incident happened when Kayleigh Kennedy, who is seven months pregnant, ordered an Uber to her home address through the app.

The 20-year-old had been to Queen's Medical Centre for a regular scan on Tuesday, July 19. Ms Kennedy decided to take the bus to the city centre and ordered a lift to her home address in Bingham to avoid the heat.

A driver picked Ms Kennedy and her partner from Friar Lane, in Nottingham city centre at around 5pm. She added: "It was way too hot to travel by bus."

She said the driver stopped the car just on the outskirts of West Bridgford, asking her partner to "stop kicking underneath the chair". "My partner apologised, moved the bag and then everything was fine," Ms Kennedy added.

"But 50 metres down the road he then pulled up and said 'I do not feel safe'. He said he will call the police on us if we are not careful.

"He said that my partner was kicking him on purpose, cancelled the trip and then ordered us to leave the car. So I was left stranded on the main road."

The couple were dropped off on Radcliffe Road in West Bridgford and forced to get a bus to their destination in Bingham. The initial journey would have costed them £28.

However, they paid only £10 for the early drop off. "He [the driver] kept looking at me through the mirror. And he kept checking how long the journey was.

"He was not aggressive at all, he was just very stubborn. I am pregnant and it was 40C.

"He just left me stranded on the street. That is not acceptable."

Ms Kennedy complained to Uber over the unpleasant experience and received a full refund.

"I was absolutely livid," she added. "I suffered pelvic girdle pain and it is getting worse because I am getting heavier and heavier.

"I was so angry, but because of the pain and the heat, I just did not want to deal with it. I took the bus home because I could not do anything else."

An Uber spokesperson said: “The safety of riders and drivers is a top priority for Uber and this is a very concerning report. We are fully investigating this incident.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:16 pm 

Quote:
She said the driver stopped the car just on the outskirts of West Bridgford, asking her partner to "stop kicking underneath the chair". "My partner apologised, moved the bag and then everything was fine," Ms Kennedy added.

What possesses a grown adult to keep kicking the back of the driver's chair?

Not sure I would have chucked out the pregnant lady, but I suspect she gave the driver grief so she had to go as well as the idiot kicker.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:22 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
A driver picked Ms Kennedy and her partner from Friar Lane, in Nottingham city centre at around 5pm. She added: "It was way too hot to travel by bus."

QMC isn't close to Friar lane IIRC so they must have started the journey by bus

oh and £28 to Bingham sounds a bit pricey so I wonder if the partner was maybe a bit agitated about how much this trip to the hospital was costing

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:33 pm 

Who knows what precisely went on, but I'd like to hear the driver's side of things, and doubt he'd risk a ruck and lose the job over nothing.

And according to Google, the £28 trip is 10 miles, so not particularly cheap, but not off the scale either :-|