Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:02 pm 

Slightly odd writing here, for example use of the phrase 'set alight' or the three different variations in the first paragraph. Or maybe it's just me 8-[

But pretty sure that if the firies were called at 11.34am then the cab didn't pull over before 'setting on fire' in the *afternoon* [-(

Brighton and Hove taxi catches fire on A270 Shoreham Road spreading to nearby car

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/susse ... re-7417067

Smoke was seen coming out of the taxi just before it pulled over

Image: Jasmine Carey/Sussex Live

A Brighton and Hove taxi set alight on the Old Shoreham Road between Southwick and Portslade today (August 3), setting a nearby car on fire too. The taxi, which had smoke coming out the front of the car, pulled over by a driveway on the Old Shoreham Road this afternoon before setting on fire, with the flames then spreading to the neighbouring vehicle.

With firefighters on the scene to tackle the blaze, traffic along the busy road was redirected by helpers as the road was blocked off for almost an hour. The road re-opened again at around 12.20pm, with police on the scene to mark flags around the remains of the taxi.

A statement from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service who attended the scene read: "We were called at 11.34am to attend a car fire on Old Shoreham Road, Southwick. Firefighters from Hove and West Sussex FRS attended. Firefighters used one Breathing Apparatus and dry foam to extinguish the fire."

While it was the taxi that was originally on fire, the flames quickly spread to a nearby car parked on a driveway, burning the back of their car completely. The fire service used dry foam to extinguish the flames from both cars, which have been destroyed by the flames.

Although cars were being diverted away from the area, with many being sent down neighbouring roads, plenty of onlookers were watching the incident from a distance, with some people looking out their house windows. Thankfully, no one was injured from the car fires.

The East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: "We left the scene at 12.29pm. No injuries reported and the incident is under investigation."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:05 pm 

Quote:
The fire service used dry foam to extinguish the flames from both cars, which have been destroyed by the flames.

That's why I describe them both as write-offs in the thread title.

Certainly no expert on this, but wouldn't really describe the Volvo as 'destroyed', so it may not be written off. Suppose it depends on the age and the like, but it looks reasonably old. But presumably if the Volvo was newish then it would be repairable.

But the HC is presumably a write-off :-|

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:33 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
But pretty sure that if the firies were called at 11.34am
is that Gaelic ?

I'm pretty sure the insurance will take one look at that volvo and say write off because the fire will have badly damaged wiring looms and possibly caused structural damage to welds and the fuel tank

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:50 pm 

Picture care of the Argus article.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2059746 ... southwick/

It's a 2018 Vito, and apart from the obvious sympathy for the driver, you have to have extra sympathy for the situation he now finds himself in.

The insurance company might give him £20,000 for the motor, give or take, but any replacement is going to cost him £70/80,000 plus interest. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:53 pm 

Quote:
Certainly no expert on this, but wouldn't really describe the Volvo as 'destroyed',

That Volvo will never be seen on the road again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:07 pm 

Daft L/As saying licensed vehicles must have a fire extinguisher as a licensing condition should be made to look at these photos.

The poor driver of this licensed vehicle may as well have had a chocolate fire guard which would have been as much use as the mandatory fire extinguisher.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 pm 

I’m sure that’s the second new shape (2016 onwards) Vito I’ve seen reported on fire on here. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:00 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
x-ray wrote:
I’m sure that’s the second new shape (2016 onwards) Vito I’ve seen reported on fire on here. :?

It's a bit of a problem with all euro 6 vehicles to achieve the standard the engines are run with very high injection pressures and turbocharging to a high degree if anything breaks the inevitable happens

I would say roadside fires of vehicles are far more common these days both cars and lorries it's maybe time to start fitting vehicles with remote activated CO2 extinguishers under the bonnet

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:48 am 

edders23 wrote:

I would say roadside fires of vehicles are far more common these days both cars and lorries it's maybe time to start fitting vehicles with remote activated CO2 extinguishers under the bonnet

Anyone remember the system they had to retrofit to the early TX4’s?