Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm 

Lanarkshire taxi driver accused of sexually assaulting teenager walks free after case not proven

A taxi driver accused of sexually assaulting a teenager he drove home from a night out has walked free from court.

Tony Lennon, 56, was alleged to have attacked the 18-year-old as she sat in the front seat of his cab in East Kilbride, Lanarkshire. The woman told a trial she had been on a birthday night out with friends at Kushion nightclub in Glasgow when she booked a taxi home.

She said that during the journey Lennon had placed his hand on her thigh before moving it under her skirt as they sat parked outside her home. The alleged victim later told a friend and a police investigation was launched.

Lennon, of Parkhead, Glasgow, denied all wrongdoing and went on trial at Hamilton Sheriff Court where he lodged a special defence of consent over the incident in May 2019.

Jurors took less than an hour to find the case against him not proven by majority following a five-day trial. In evidence the woman, now aged 21, wept as she told how she was left 'frozen' in fear during the alleged attack.

She said: "We were driving around and the taxi driver started putting his hand on my leg trying to come close to me.
"I didn't want this to take place. I was in shock and in fear as well.

"Eventually he was going up my skirt when we were outside my house and it was just a continuation from him having his hand on my thigh. I was frozen and was really scared.

Asked by depute fiscal Neil Thomson if she had consented, she replied: "I don't know what interest I would have in an old man. I didn't consent and didn't want this to happen."

Giving evidence, dad-of-two Lennon repeatedly insisted the girl had given consent and claimed he had been 'foolish' to get involved.

He told jurors: "She seemed fine when she got in but then she started being a bit funny and putting her feet on the dashboard.

"She was trying to come on to me and pulled her clothing to the side and I stupidly joined in.

"She didn't really say much but I knew what she wanted me to do but I just wish it didn't happen. I'm totally ashamed but I thought she was consenting to it."

Sheriff Colin Dunipace told Lennon he had been formally acquitted of the charge against him. As he left the dock Lennon repeatedly thanked his lawyer and jurors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm 

Quote:
where he lodged a special defence of consent over the incident in May 2019.

:-k

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:06 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
where he lodged a special defence of consent over the incident in May 2019.

:-k

sounds like he got away with it BUT will the licensing bods see it that way !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:47 am 

This is the Record's version, for what it's worth. Not a whole lot different, but some slightly different nuances.

Of course, it's a not proven verdict rather than not guilty, so although it's an acquittal, it's not quite such a strong acquittal as not guilty.

So to that extent more likely to be deemed not fit and proper by the licensing committee than if he'd been found not guilty. And of course, even if it had been not guilty, nothing to stop licensing councillors deeming him not fit and proper :?

Taxi driver cleared of molesting intoxicated East Kilbride teen in his cab

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-a ... d-27703258

Tony Lennon, 56, was accused of taking advantage of the 18-year-old female passenger.

A taxi driver has been cleared of molesting a female passenger as he drove her home in East Kilbride.

Tony Lennon was accused of taking advantage of the drunk 18-year-old in his cab.

But a jury returned a not proven verdict following a week-long trial at Hamilton Sheriff Court.

Lennon, 56, of Parkhead, Glasgow, said 'thank you' as Sheriff Colin Dunipace told him he'd been acquitted and was free to leave.

He insisted the female had consented to sexual activity in his taxi on May 22, 2019.

Lennon said she had "come on to him" after being "rejected" by a man during a night out.

He stated: "I'd never done anything like this before.

"It was wrong and I apologise. It should never have happened. It was a foolish thing to do."

Lennon said the woman was "definitely lying" when she told the jury she had not consented.

But prosecutor Neil Thomson said Lennon was the one who had "lied and lied" after taking advantage of his drunk passenger as he drove her home.

Mr Thomson asked the jury: "Would an 18-year-old girl find a man in his 50s who is grey haired and, perhaps tubby, particularly attractive?

"This is a desperate man with a desperate story, trying to save his own neck."

The jury deliberated for around an hour before returning a majority not proven verdict.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:37 am 

Ahh....our Unique "Not Proven" verdict, that Twilight zone verdict that leaves you as good as innocent even if your gulity as hell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:08 pm 

Quote:
The jury deliberated for around an hour before returning a majority not proven verdict.

Not long at all.

I would assume they were not impressed by the alleged victim's evidence.