Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:13 pm 

Interesting use of police powers here. He can still drive under a DVLA licence in the meantime, but can't 'taxi' because police have seized his plates.

Didn't know they could do that, to be honest. I thought the council would have to be involved. But to be honest, not something I've ever really thought about :-s

Taxi driver arrested on suspicion of drug driving after road rage dispute

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/ ... ng-9207212

A taxi driver has been arrested on suspicion of drug driving and had his taxi licence seized after police were called to a road rage incident on the A47.

Police attended the scene in Great Yarmouth at 6pm on Thursday, August 11.

Upon arrival, officers gathered details about the incident from both parties and due to suspicions of drug use, the driver of the taxi was subject to a drugs test.

Following a positive reading, the driver was taken to Great Yarmouth police station where further tests were completed.

He has since been released under investigation while enquiries continue.

A police spokesman said: "Only a court has the power to disqualify a driver from driving and until results have been obtained and a potential charge authorised for the driver, anyone arrested for this offence can continue to drive unless their licence is revoked by the DVLA.

"As a taxi driver, there is additional licencing and rules in place which the police assist with enforcing on behalf of the respective borough council.

"In the interest of public safety, police have utilised additional powers and seized the taxi plate from the rear of his vehicle to avoid this driver and vehicle being able to 'taxi' and have passed the information to the relevant council's licencing department who will subsequently look into the matter from a licencing perspective."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:23 pm 

They can't take his plates, but when have the police ever had the slightest idea about taxi licensing?

Why not just bail the driver with a condition not to act as a cab driver?

I mean he can drive someone else's motor FFS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:
They can't take his plates, but when have the police ever had the slightest idea about taxi licensing?

Why not just bail the driver with a condition not to act as a cab driver?

I mean he can drive someone else's motor FFS.

Section 58(2) (b) council official or constable… shall be able to remove and retain plates. Misc prov 1976.

Which was my understanding of the law.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 am 

But that’s only if there is a problem with the motor, not with the driver.

And even cab owners have rights of appeal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:42 am 

A seizure under section 58 seems to apply either on revocation or expiry if the plates are not returned, or a suspension under section 68.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/57/section/58

Obviously it's not a revocation or expiry scenario here, so it's about a suspension under section 68.

In turn, section 68 is about fitness of HCs, PHVs and taximeters.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/57/section/68

So essentially, it's all about vehicles and plates rather than badges and drivers, as Sussex said :?

Recall what Norfolk Police said above, and at best they're confusing plates and badges, but what they say is sufficiently vague to suggest they either they don't appreciate the difference, or they're just winging it:

Norfolk Police wrote:
"In the interest of public safety, police have utilised additional powers and seized the taxi plate from the rear of his vehicle to avoid this driver and vehicle being able to 'taxi' and have passed the information to the relevant council's licencing department who will subsequently look into the matter from a licencing perspective."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I am sure I was once told by my LO that in a case where the police believe the vehicle is being used for criminal purposes they can seize the plates there and then as a public protection measure as well as in a case where a vehicle is in dangerous condition.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:37 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I am sure I was once told by my LO that in a case where the police believe the vehicle is being used for criminal purposes they can seize the plates there and then as a public protection measure as well as in a case where a vehicle is in dangerous condition.

Well they can't. [-X