Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:42 pm 

No shortage of press coverage of this one, both domestically and internationally in likes of Washington Post and Reuters :-o

This is the Telegraph's version.

Not sure what Uber hoping to achieve here, or at least what would happen now that wouldn't have happened when black cabs were on the London app a few years ago.

LTDA right in saying that Uber maybe just trying to boost its 'ailing' business model, although interesting to compare this with its withdrawal of the Local Cab option in the sticks.

Steve McNamara right in saying Uber less competitive because of rising prices, and to that extent Uber now has less of a price advantage compared to black cabs. On the other hand, for Uber app users, that maybe makes booking a black cab via Uber a more attractive proposition than it was first time round...

Taxi war cools as black cabs return to Uber for first time in six years

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... six-years/

Taxi union says its drivers are unlikely to sign up due to company’s track record

Uber is seeking to settle a decade-long row with London taxi drivers by allowing cabbies to find fares through the company’s app.

The US minicab app said it would start offering black cab rides in the capital from next year. It will offer the service by signing up individual taxi drivers to its service.

Uber said it had signed up its first few drivers ahead of the service launching in the New Year.

It marks the first time travellers will be able to hail black cabs through the app in six years. Uber allowed taxi drivers to offer rides in London from 2014 until 2017 but shut down the feature because too few drivers were using it.

Uber struggled with sign-ups amid a long-running battle between the app and black cab drivers, who argued the ride hailing service was undercutting them.

London’s biggest taxi union rejected Uber’s latest announcement and said its members were unlikely to sign up.

The Licensed Taxi Drivers’ Association (LTDA), which represents more than half of the capital’s 17,706 registered drivers, said it had been blindsided by Uber’s move.

LTDA general secretary Steve McNamara said: “We are not aware of any drivers having been recruited and don’t believe our members will even consider joining the app, given its well-documented, poor record on everything from passenger safety to workers’ rights in London.”

Andrew Brem, Uber’s UK boss, claimed it was a “win-win-win” that would boost options for taxi drivers and make London’s transport network more efficient.

Uber’s attempt to mend ties with black cabs marks its latest effort to become an all-encompassing transport app that has seen it add trains and flights to the service.

It said it would charge a service fee and take a referral fee from drivers, whose fares are regulated, after six months.

Uber fought a series of legal and political battles with taxi drivers across Europe as it swept across cities, offering passengers cheap rides through a smartphone app in a way that critics said skirted key regulations. Drivers repeatedly staged protests against Uber, blocking London’s streets.

Uber has since struck a series of deals with taxi companies in 33 countries including France, Belgium, Italy and the US.

Mr McNamara said taxi drivers were winning more customers from Uber, which has raised prices in London in recent years as a result of overwhelming demand.

He said: “Our business is thriving – in part because many of the ride-hailing app’s former customers have realised that black cabs offer a far superior service, at a fair and reasonable price.”

Mr Brem said: “We’re partnering with taxi drivers across the world and the message we are hearing from them is clear – Uber and taxis are better together.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:44 pm 

A bit more about the mechanics:

TaxiPoint wrote:
Under the new system, drivers who sign up with Uber will receive regular taxi trip requests, complete with upfront fare ranges and destinations. They will then have the freedom to accept or reject these offers as they see fit. Additionally, all new drivers will be offered zero percent commission for their first six months as an incentive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:46 pm 

Of course, as in the provinces attitudes towards Uber have changed, and some of the newer black cab drivers will be used to the app environment, and may actually be former Uber PHDs :-o

TaxiPoint wrote:
Hameed Hameedi, the first London cab driver to sign up with Uber, completed the Knowledge in 2015. Before that he got to know London’s streets working as a private hire driver.

Hameed said: “A lot has changed since Uber first came to London, and I know lots of cabbies who first started out as Uber drivers. Nowadays more passengers than ever are using apps so Uber opening up to Black Cabs will be a huge advantage to the trade.

“App bookings are good for me because I know where my next job will be so I don’t miss any time searching on the streets for the next job. Ultimately, more passengers booking trips means more cash for cabbies and I’m excited that we are now working together.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:49 pm 

This is a more negative article on TaxiPoint about it, and the content is hardly surprising from the old guard:

WE DON’T WANT IT: Uber's new ‘Black Cab’ offering draws heavy criticism from licensed taxi trade

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/we-do ... taxi-trade

Uber's recent announcement of its intention to partner with iconic black cabs in London has been met with strong criticism from the city's licensed taxi trade.

Representatives from the Licensed Taxi Drivers' Association (LTDA), which advocates for around 10,000 licensed drivers, have publicly expressed their disapproval, citing a lack of prior discussions with the ride-hailing giant and a skepticism towards aligning with a company with a contentious history in the city.

This is not the first time Uber has attempted to integrate black cabs into its platform. In 2014, shortly after entering the London market, the company endeavored to recruit a significant number of black cab drivers by promising reduced commissions. However, the effort failed to gain traction and was subsequently abandoned.

Taxi industry observers have long speculated that Uber would make another attempt to penetrate the London black cab market, following similar launches in cities like New York and Paris. Today's announcement confirmed those suspicions, as Uber aims to recruit drivers with the goal of introducing a black cab option in early 2024.

Prior to Uber's entrance in 2012, London licensed taxi drivers were already utilising ride-hailing apps such as Hailo and Gett, which debuted in 2011. Since then, these apps have experienced substantial growth, particularly in the post-pandemic era.

Steve McNamara, General Secretary of the LTDA, said: “There is no demand for this partnership from the London licensed taxi drivers we represent or our passengers. Neither the LTDA nor any other taxi trade groups were consulted in advance of this unilateral announcement. We are not aware of any drivers having been recruited and don’t believe our members will even consider joining the app, given its well-documented, poor record on everything from passenger safety to workers’ rights in London.

“Our passengers can already access our world-class service through a range of apps like Gett, TaxiApp, FREENOW and ComCab, which share our values and pride themselves on providing a high-quality, safe and reliable form of accessible public transport.

“We have no interest in sullying the name of London’s iconic, world-renowned black cab trade by aligning it with Uber, its poor safety record and everything else that comes with it.”

London licensed taxi driver, Howard Taylor said: “I would never consider joining Uber. Cabbies work hard to do the Knowledge and we take great pride in what we do. London black cabs are the gold standard. We go the extra mile to help our passengers and are committed to providing a safe, accessible and efficient service. From everything I’ve seen, I don’t believe Uber shares these commitments.”

McNamara, added: “Uber is no longer a concern for our members. Our business is thriving – in part because many of the ride-hailing app’s former customers have realised that black cabs offer a far superior service, at a fair and reasonable price. We are seeing younger demographics now choosing to travel by taxi and our members are experiencing record demand for their services across London.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:25 pm 

I suspect a few will join up, maybe the yellow badge drivers that work in the suburbs.

Maybe Uber has taken advice that they can act as agents for London black cabs, rather than the principle, which would negate the 20% VAT issue.

If not then it's simply not going to be viable for Uber (since when has that bothered them?) as the hackneys won't be able to charge more than the set rate, which would mean Uber would have to swallow the 20% VAT.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:30 pm 

Quote:
No shortage of press coverage of this one

Got to credit Uber's PR department, every single announcement they make is re-announced by the world's lazy working-from-home journalists. [-(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:43 pm 

Uber now loving the London Black cab trade.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/uber- ... -of-london

And another 'bold' move. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:12 pm 

Interesting article on TaxiPoint, which is kind of related to this thread, although it's about Bolt rather than Uber, and about Watford HCs rather than London.

But it's a total jumble of issues which aren't really related, as far as I can see. Yes, I can see how the closure of a nightclub would affect the local trade. And, yes, maybe Watford HCs want to be on Bolt's platform, although that they'd actually want to be, and that Bolt would actively stop them, isn't actually something I'd have assumed offhand (particularly, as I think HCs in Watford are saloons?)

And, in particular, I wouldn't have thought that many HCAs would want to actively promote working with a 'ride-hailing' platform, thus effectively encouraging the shift from street hires to pre-booking via apps :?

Watford MP champions ridehail giants Bolt to work with local taxi drivers

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/watfo ... xi-drivers

The MP for Watford encouraged ride-hail giants Bolt to work with Hackney Carriage taxis in the area to service the night-time economy.

In a recent session at the House of Commons, Dean Russell, the Conservative MP for Watford, voiced concerns over the challenges faced by local taxi drivers, particularly following the closure of the Pryzm nightclub in January. The nightclub's shutdown has been described as a significant setback for Watford's taxi trade, affecting the livelihoods of many.

Russell highlighted discussions with the Watford Hackney Carriage Drivers Association (WHCDA) from last year, questioning how ride-hailing services like Bolt could integrate local black cab drivers into their schemes. This move, he argued, would significantly bolster Watford's night-time economy.

Responding, Penny Mordaunt, Leader of the House, commended Russell for spotlighting the importance of a vibrant night-time economy to taxi drivers, and vice versa. She suggested Russell seek a debate on the matter, allowing for a more detailed discussion with the Minister. Mordaunt also noted the upcoming Transport questions on 21 March as an opportunity for further dialogue.

Russell MP, said: “I met the Watford Hackney Carriage Drivers Association last year to discuss the challenges faced by our brilliant taxi drivers. The closure of Watford’s Pryzm nightclub in January is a devastating blow to the local taxi trade.

“How can I encourage ride-hailing companies such as Bolt to consider including drivers from the Watford Hackney Carriage Drivers Association on their black cab scheme, which would contribute greatly to the local night-time economy?”

Mordaunt MP, replied: “I thank my hon. Friend for raising awareness and for demonstrating that a thriving night-time economy is vital for local taxi drivers, and the reverse is also true. I encourage him to seek a debate in which the Minister can hear his views; he knows how to apply for that. Our taxi drivers play an essential role in our communities, and he will know that the next Transport questions is on 21 March.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:13 pm 

Dean Russell, the Conservative MP for Watford wrote:
“How can I encourage ride-hailing companies such as Bolt to consider including drivers from the Watford Hackney Carriage Drivers Association on their black cab scheme, which would contribute greatly to the local night-time economy?”

And, most obviously, how precisely would HCs on Bolt's platform 'contribute greatly to the nighttime economy'? :-s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:51 pm 

Looks like London black cabs are now being offered on the Uber app.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/black ... ial-launch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:27 pm 

According to this TaxiPoint article, Uber has signed up several hundred London black cabs to their app.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/uber- ... t-revealed

I wonder how many of them are the green badge version that can ply to the city center, compared to the yellow badge drivers who can only work the outskirts.

To me, it would make more sense for the yellow badge drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:50 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
According to this TaxiPoint article, Uber has signed up several hundred London black cabs to their app.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/uber- ... t-revealed

I wonder how many of them are the green badge version that can ply to the city center, compared to the yellow badge drivers who can only work the outskirts.

To me, it would make more sense for the yellow badge drivers.

perhaps an FOI request might say but somehow I doubt uber would give an answer

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:17 pm 

The competition aren't best pleased either. :-k

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/race- ... b-approach

And the winner of the complete boll***s quote of the week goes to this chap.

Bedarev highlighted that Gett, which has been operational in the capital for over a decade, serves a client base with high expectations for service reliability, typically higher than those of Uber’s average customer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
bearing in mind their Israeli ownership and the fact that most app drivers are muslim I'm surprised Gett has enough drivers to offer a service.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:34 pm 

edders23 wrote:
bearing in mind their Israeli ownership and the fact that most app drivers are muslim I'm surprised Gett has enough drivers to offer a service.

All that political nonsense goes out of the window when it comes down to cash.

If I could earn more on 'Atila the Huns' taxi services I would be on there in an instance. 8-[