Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:51 pm 

Bid to increase black cab taxi fares in Darlington refused

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... n-refused/

A proposed increase of taxi fares in Darlington has been refused after opposition from drivers.

Darlington Borough Council considered several proposals to increase black cab tariffs following a formal request for an increase by the trade.

Fares in the town are currently the highest in the Tees Valley, costing passengers £6.30 per every two miles compared to neighbouring Durham, which currently charges £6.50. The lowest fare, in Middlesbrough, costs £4.90.

Of the 134 hackney carriage drivers in Darlington, only 24 responded to the proposals. They favoured increasing fares in the first 1760 yards and time. In total, 21 out of 24 responders favoured an increase.

However Andrew Heaney, a taxi driver of 30 years in the town, appealed to councillors not to raise fares.

Speaking at a licensing meeting, he said: “When tariff increases are proposed, the guys who work in the Market Place feel like they don’t have much of a voice because the companies always vote in favour.

“We tend to feel we’re outvoted. When I saw the number of people who responded I thought it was very low, so I collected a list of 18 drivers who oppose a tariff increase.”

Cllr Sonia Kane, of Northgate ward, said: “I am a regular taxi user and what I have to pay currently from where I live to town is a lot of money. Getting the bus is a nightmare, so I’d have to leave an hour earlier. Six pounds is as much as most people want to pay.”

And cllr Jonathan Dulston backed the black cab driver’s plea. “I agree there isn’t an appetite from the trade to raise fares and struggle to approve any changes,” he said.

Cllr Kevin Nicholson added that the lack of responses showed raising fares is not a pressing issue for the majority of taxi drivers.

The committee also considered adding an extra ‘button’ to metres which accounts for additional charges such as those imposed at Teesside Airport. But members also refused imposing the measure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the cost of living obviously isn't a problem in Darlo

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:10 pm 

edders23 wrote:
the cost of living obviously isn't a problem in Darlo

Indeed.

Is asking punters to pay an extra 20p or 40p extra really going to kill their trade? :-k