Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:03 am 

Not much in the way of concrete figures here, and not wholly clear what the 'taxi driver' licenses refer to, precisely.

It reads like it's about badges, but £259 for a one-year badge seems a tad OTT - ours in Fife are just £65 for one-year :-o

So it could be some sort of average cost of 'taxi' licences - it also says 'taxi drivers licences were on average £134.55', which looks a bit odd, but maybe that's an average of one-year/three-year badges, or whatever.

But the headline figure is for a 74% increase in 'taxi licences' (£149 to £259), which certainly represents a 'hike' [-(

On the other hand, venison dealers and zoos are facing even bigger hikes :-o

Taxi drivers and window cleaners set to face hike in cost of licences

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news ... -licences/

WINDOW cleaners and taxi drivers will see the cost of operating licences soar under new fees proposed in East Lothian.

A review of fees charged by East Lothian Council has recommended the cost of a window cleaner's licence more than double from £89 a year to £207, with taxi driver licences set to increase from £149 to £259.

The review, which compared other local authority fees, found that the average charge for window cleaners was just under £124 and taxi drivers licences were on average £134.55.

Some charges reduced

Some charges which impact community events are recommended to be reduced, with public entertainment licences for temporary events involving between 500 and 2,000 people daily reducing from £423 to £285, and for those with more than 2,000 people and less than 5,000 reducing from £635 to £301.Councillors will be asked to approve a wide-ranging list of new fees at a meeting of the Labour administration’s cabinet next week.

A report to councillors revealed that the local authority had commissioned Lanarkshire-based business management consultants Arneil Johnston in April last year to carry out an independent review of its discretionary licensing fees.

The consultants looked at other Scottish councils’ charges, as well as the cost of overseeing the service before producing the results of their review.

Tattoo artists and piercing services will also see an increase in three-year licence fees from £263 to £404 and, while a three-year licence to sell knives is recommended to be reduced from £384 to £310, venison dealers will be hit with double the fees from £129 to £269.

Animal breeders and people selling pets will also see the cost of licences increase from those varying from £194 to £205 facing a new fee of £403.

The £403 fee will also apply to rehoming and animal welfare organisations unless they are a registered charity.

A licence to operate a zoo in East Lothian will go up from £595 to £1,067, while riding establishments will see an increase in three-year licences from £138 to £400.

The new fees will be put before cabinet for approval at a meeting on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:55 pm 

I can't believe there is such a thing as a window cleaner's license.

My brother has been one for the last 35 years and has never had such a thing.

And exactly what is there is enforce?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:07 pm 

(Just remembered I meant to reply to this when opening Word 2003 to look at the Fife taxi driver conditions - shows how often I use Word 2003 :lol: )

Sussex, there doesn't look like much to enforce - it's about being fit and proper like taxi drivers, and there's some stuff about the licence holder ensuring: "that they have sufficient and adequate public liability insurance cover."

And also taxi driver-esque stuff about having their ID badge with them and 'exhibiting' it on demand to "any member of the Public, Police Officer or Council Officer." (Which begs the question, who precisely aren't they duty bound to show their badge to :-s )

And also informing the council about any convictions, FPNs blah, blah...

But I suppose it's all about the fact that the nature of the work means that it's a position of trust and possibly open to abuse, but not sure why that would be precisely compared to a plumber or other tradesman, say, who are actually in the house rather than just outside.

But I'd guess there have been historical issues, although off the top of my head I don't know what they are :?

But, in short, I'd guess it's all about weeding out potential, er, window lickers :lol:

https://www.fife.gov.uk/__data/assets/w ... dance1.doc