Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:29 pm 

This isn't particularly interesting in purely trade terms, but some nice photos of the historic kiosk at the station, but which are too big to embed on here...

But I'm sure our resident poster from York (or maybe former member) mentioned the closure of the kiosk in the past, and the reasoning thereto.

But can't find it now. But I'd guess it's maybe related to lockdown and/or Uber and stuff? And maybe the end of some sort of exclusive station rank agreement?

New use planned for taxi kiosk at York Station

https://yorkmix.com/new-use-planned-for ... k-station/

One of York’s smallest listed buildings could soon be put to a new use.

The taxi kiosk at York Station is now available to rent for commercial use.

Previously used by Station Taxis, the kiosk is said to be “suitable for a number of uses excluding a taxi office”.

The kiosk, in the north east corner of the portico, is Grade II listed. Timber with a glass roof, it dates from about 1900.

“This is an unusual survival of an increasingly rare building,” the official listing states.

According to the lease document, this is a “prime serviced retail unit” in a station with around 9.5 million passengers a year.

The 164 square feet kiosk is on the market for a rent of £1,667 pcm, or £20,000 a year.

The details add: “The station will during 2025 to 2026 be undergoing redevelopment work and the intention is to pedestrianise the portico.”

York Station Taxis still gives the portico as its address on its website. YorkMix contacted the business for a comment but hasn’t yet heard back.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:30 pm 

Quote:
York Station Taxis still gives the portico as its address on its website.

Indeed, looking at their website, you'd be forgiven for thinking that nothing had changed :?

https://yorkstationtaxis.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:30 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
you could have added an image link instead of readers having to go to the article [-(

P.S. despite how I know you'll read it this is actually constructive criticism !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:41 pm 

Found these via google.

I think the office looks perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:19 am 

edders23 wrote:
you could have added an image link instead of readers having to go to the article [-(

P.S. despite how I know you'll read it this is actually constructive criticism !

Talking of York, reminds me of this thread, which is one of those I think better waiting a few days to reply to, or at least wait until I'm in a reasonably good mood :)

But the reason I didn't add the direct links to the photos, Edders, was because I thought it was easier for readers to click on the article link and view all the photos at the same time, particularly as it's a fast-loading site.

So, in reality, I thought it would save readers' time by just clicking on the one link rather than several links to individual photos...

And I was going to say something about the hint that I was maybe not putting enough effort into posting on here, and the irony of that. But maybe better not to go there :? :wink: