Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:55 am 

Must be a slow news day at Torfaen Council. Or whatever council this is actually about.

And you kind of get the impression the councillor here only raised the issue for the sake of, er, raising an issue :roll:

Most interesting detail seems to be that drivers need to attend the safeguarding course every three years :-o

Usually it's just a one-off requirement, if at all?

And the other interesting thing is self-evident. Yes, it does appear to be real rather than photo-shopped :lol:

Makes our pal in Chorley look quite normal :P

It's actually round-a-bout my favourite colour, but don't think I'll be growing a beard anytime soon so I can colour it like this :oops:

Torfaen council taxi driver training income revealed

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... -revealed/

Image: Torfaen County Borough Council/Archive/South Wales Argus

TRAINING for taxi drivers from across Gwent has been described as a “nice little earner” for one borough council.

All drivers from across the area, other than those licensed in Newport, are required to complete a one-off knowledge test, when they first register, and attend a safeguarding course every three years run by Torfaen Borough Council.

This financial year its Adult Community Learning Service has already earned £14,680 from the 152 applicants who’ve sat the knowledge test and a further £2,625 from 75 drivers who’ve attended the passenger safeguarding course.

Blaeanavon independent councillor Nick Horler described the £17,305 income from taxi testing in 2023/24 as a “nice little earner” and asked if there is a possibility that could be lost if other local authorities used a different provider.

But service manager Angela Price said she isn’t worried that Caerphilly Borough, Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire Council would no longer use the service.

“I don’t think there’s any risk of them going to another provider, they approached us,” said Ms Price.

She said the service had been developed as a result of licensing officers working on a regional basis and it has tailored its service to meet the needs of the different councils and agreements are in place with the three other Gwent councils.

“They’ve got to have the knowledge test and we’ve developed that around their individual local authorities and I’d be very shocked if they were to go to another provider and we’ve also been approached by other local authorities to provide tests for them.”

Beth McPherson, the council’s head of communities, said it wouldn’t make “financial sense” for the other councils to leave the service and she said Torfaen develops its training to keep up with new legislation.

Torfaen’s learning service is the only provider in the four areas and training is delivered online and over Microsoft Teams video calling and those taking part have to sign a declaration it it is their own work at risk of their licence being revoked.

Courses and training have been praised by social services, the Welsh Government and the police.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:55 am 

Quote:
Torfaen’s learning service is the only provider in the four areas and training is delivered online and over Microsoft Teams video calling and those taking part have to sign a declaration it it is their own work at risk of their licence being revoked.

I'm sure that signing the declaration means there's never ever any cheating whatsoever :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:00 am 

Funnily enough, plenty of photos of that beard online, but can't see anything about why his it's that particular colour. Even in this lengthy article about his life (although couldn't actually be bothered reading it in full...

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... ck-horler/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:04 am 

It's probably something to do with his craft shop, though, which can be read about here if anyone's interested.

But that's ten minutes of my life lost that I won't get back looking for info on his beard. And I'm still not really sure... 8)

https://www.freepressseries.co.uk/news/ ... iler-year/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:09 pm 

Must be a fan of Prince. All that purple everywhere.