Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:46 pm 

Remember the driver in Dundee who died after an altercation with a headbanger? (Still to come to court on a murder charge, I believe.)

And I speculated that it might be something to do with the EV charging point (but the precise circumstances concerning how the two met was neatly body swerved by the press reports...)?

Now there's this. And, while still not clear precisely what happened to the driver who was killed, this is the same EV charging point in the photo, and that's the hill the deceased driver rolled down :-o

But luckily for Police Scotland it looks like the driver not pressing charges, so it's the usual 'nothing to see here'.

But not suprised that the driver just wants it all forgotten about - as the latest hate crime stuff up here undelines, institutional Scotland can't conceal its loathing and prejudice for people like taxi drivers (I'm assuming the victim here is a 'white male', therefore regarded as entitled and over-privileged etc).

So they'll use you as a guinea pig for these awful EVs, and put you in danger in the process. Then they'll prefer any incident or danger to be swept under the carpets.

And, of course, people like councillors will demonise and gaslight anyone who steps out of line or says anything that's considered awkward :-|

Man ‘threatens to shoot’ Dundee taxi driver in robbery bid at EV charging point

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/du ... bid-fears/

The incident left the taxi driver "fearing for his life".

Image: Google/DC Thomson

Fears have been raised for the safety of taxi drivers in Dundee after a botched robbery bid at an EV charging station.

A taxi driver said he was left “fearing for his life” after an incident at Balgay Street Car Park early on Sunday morning.

Police were called to the scene just after 6am near Farmfoods in Lochee.

The driver, who did not wish to be named, claimed a man began punching his taxi after demanding cash.

Speaking to The Courier, he alleged the man also made a threat to “shoot him” and his colleagues, who rushed to his aid.

The 32-year-old said: “I’d just finished my shift and was about to charge the car up.

“The guy approached me saying he needed money to get home before I gave him £3.

“He then began asking for more money and was getting aggressive by punching the car windows.

“His hand was bleeding and I was starting to fear for my life, I thought he was going to break the glass.”

The driver said three colleagues rushed to his aid.

The man, he claimed, began to back off before making more threats.

Dundee taxi driver: ‘The guy said he was going to get a gun’

He added: “I’ve been a driver since 2016 but I definitely think the streets in Dundee aren’t safe anymore.

“I thank my colleagues who attended but the guy said he was going to get a gun and shoot us.

“The police did arrive but from my side, I don’t want to be dragged into a police investigation regarding this person.”

Chris Elder – who represents some Dundee taxi drivers through Unite the Union – said security around EV charging points needs to be reviewed.

He said: “This incident over the weekend is concerning.

“There have been concerns raised about the security at these EV charging points in recent times.

“From a driver’s perspective, they are carrying money bags and could be an easy target.

“There are also council workers and members of the public using these charging points and they are exposed.

“Whether it’s placing gating around these sites, and providing passes to get access, the security surrounding the charging points needs reviewed.”

A Dundee City Council spokeswoman said: “We are aware of these concerns and are monitoring the situation.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “We received a report of a disturbance at Balgay Street, Lochee, Dundee around 6.25am on Sunday, March 31, 2024.

“Officers attended, all parties traced, no complaint was made and there were no reports of damage.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:47 pm 

I'm guessing that the reason the earlier incident isn't mentioned above is because it's still to come to court, but who knows.

On the other hand it's maybe being alluded to in some of the stuff above. And I'd guess that maybe they could have mentioned the death of the other driver without prejudicing the forthcoming trial, or whatever, but obviously we can only speculate from here.

(Even I've been careful with what I've said above about it all , and I'm certainly no legal expert :? )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:11 pm 

Quote:
“The police did arrive but from my side, I don’t want to be dragged into a police investigation regarding this person.”

And that's why scumbags continue to behave the way they do when they know the victims of such behaviour will do SWF about it. #-o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:18 pm 

But, aye, it's a good job it's only men who are violent, and only women who are in danger of violence:

Clawing woman tried to ‘get to eyes’ of Dundee taxi driver in Boxing Day attack

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/co ... er-attack/

Michaela Walton was infuriated the driver would not take five passengers in his cab.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:48 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I sat chatting to a chap yesterday who was saying how much Dundee has been improved with inward investment by businesses new cultural facilities etc. and yet the antisocial behaviour appears to be as bad as ever or am I misreading things ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:44 pm 

Who was that you were chatting to, Edders? Probably a member of the elite and/or a council comms/PR merchant, or similar :?

Or someone who's been reading some PR/propaganda stuff somewhere...

Yes, there's an elite new V&A museum, and a small 'cultural quarter,' and quite a bit of tech stuff and the like, but that's just a small proportion of Dundee, and much of the rest of the city just carries on regardless. Remember, Scotland is the drugs capital of Europe, and Dundee is the drugs capital of Scotland.

Another article below is probably more indicative of the kind of environment taxi drivers will know, and while this isn't about them, it's the kind of people they might get tangled up with occasionally.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. The kind of thing below is very similar to the kind of area I lived in for years - there was a dealer downstairs for a couple of years, and once or twice people tried to batter down his door.

And I recall that after I'd moved out for the state of my health, someone fell out of one of the windows downstairs and died - my flat was unoccupied for some time, and when I went round to check it hadn't burnt down one day, there was a police officer standing guard, and it turned out that was because of the death. But, unlike the case below, there was no indication of any criminality involved, or at least they didn't find any...

(The fire at my old flat when the police battered down the door happened later - I left a light on to deter burglars, dealers etc, so when someone set fire to the midden that had been left at the bottom of the stairs, the police thought there was someone in my flat who they thought might be in danger, so battered the door down, but there was actually no-one inside. Quite funny now, in a way, thinking back... :D :cry: )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:45 pm 

DUE IN COURT Humza Yousaf’s brother-in-law charged with abduction & extortion after man falls to his death from flat window

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1 ... extortion/

He is due to appear in court today

Image: The Scottish Sun
(That's the deceased in the photo, I think, and not Ramsay El-Nakla)

HUMZA Yousaf's brother-in-law has been charged after the death of a man who fell from a flat window.

Ramsay El-Nakla, 36, was arrested along with three other people after Ryan Munro fell from a home on Morgan Street in Dundee on January 10.

The 36-year-old was raced to hospital but he died a week later from his injuries.

Today, cops have confirmed that El-Nakla has been charged with alleged abduction and extortion.

He is due to appear at Dundee Sheriff Court today.

A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

Last week, officers arrested a 38-year-old woman and charged her with culpable homicide in connection with the alleged incident.

Two others, a 50-year-old man and 41-year-old woman, have also been arrested and charged with abduction and extortion following the alleged incident.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "A 36-year-old man has been arrested and charged with abduction and extortion following an alleged incident where a man fell from a block of flats on Morgan Street, Dundee on Wednesday, 10 January. He died a week later in hospital.

"Three others were previously arrested and charged following the same alleged incident. The 36-year-old man is due to appear in Dundee Sheriff Court today, Tuesday, 9 April, 2024.

"A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:46 pm 

So that's Humza Yousuf's wife's brother charged with alleged drugs-related abduction and extortion.

Humza's wife Nadia El-Nakla is a Dundee councillor and the SNP's drugs and alcohol spokesperson on the council. She wrote this last year about the 'impact addiction has on families' etc, etc. Of course, I doubt if many would have appreciated the irony even last year... :?

NADIA EL-NAKLA: I know impact addiction has on families – the 38 people lost to drugs last year in Dundee were part of us

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion ... -el-nakla/

As a city, we must treat those suffering from addiction with compassion and kindness by taking a public health approach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:22 pm 

I've only ever been to Dundee once, and it seemed ok for me.

Not too sure about the tour guide though. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:39 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Who was that you were chatting to, Edders?

someone originally from there I believe although you wouldn't tell from his voice and as for elite he used to be a wimbledon umpire does that qualify ?

Stuart you clearly have quite a jaundiced view but surely such investment is a positive thing isn't it ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:44 pm 

Quote:
Stuart you clearly have quite a jaundiced view but surely such investment is a positive thing isn't it ?

Not sure why I'd welcome investment of £1billion on an elite museum and rearranging the traffic jams in the Waterfront area (which I had to drive through every day for 20 years to get to Fife because I wasn't welcome in the Dundee trade) while they turned where I lived into a slum? :roll:

As for my views being 'jaundiced', if you were a councillor or politician, or one of their many cronies and hangers-on I'd say you were demonising and gaslighting me :lol: :-|

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:45 pm 

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how far they get with all these allegations - not sure what kind of evidence they have to support the charges. But either there was some other person(s) there that haven't been mentioned, the deceased was able to give evidence before he died, or the accused are giving evidence against each other. Or something else :?

But, of course, hugely interesting to boot since it involves Humza's brother-in-law, who's the brother of a Dundee councillor :-o

https://twitter.com/i/status/1777761114849411091

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:36 pm 

Quote:
not sure what kind of evidence they have to support the charges.

Given that his brother-in-law is Scotland's top politician, and his sister is a local councillor, one would have thought a lot of care has been taken to ensure there is enough evidence.