Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:54 pm 

Quote:
What would happen elsewhere?

If the police charge he will be suspended.

The criminal damage should be easy to prove.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:57 pm 

Well he was deffo on the road last night. Of course, maybe councillors have to make a decision to suspend immediately, and they're possibly on holiday, or whatever :roll:

Had been told there were three big dents in the car, and lots of bull about the car possibly being written off by insurers...

Can only see one dent in the car, though, so I suspect just kicked once, as per the video. And looks like just confined to one wing, and it's quite a nice late-plate BMW (20-reg, or thereabouts, off the top of my head) so somehow can't see it being written off :-s

Incidentally, have removed the other stuff just in case anyone is reading, and contempt of court or whatever (pretty unlikely, but you never know). (Which was what I intended doing anyway, after 24 hours or so and regulars had a chance to read it.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:52 pm 

The criminal damage issue might be his downfall.

Not sure how that can dealt with by the 'self defence' defence.

Unless the car was driven at him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:33 pm 

It looked like the other driving was reversing back before he kicked the motor, but certainly no direct evidence from the video of the other driver driving at him.

But it's like an obstacle course all the time, so it's inevitable that if drivers are bickering and queue-jumping and the like, then there's going to be cars getting close to anyone standing near them. I'd guess the perp was trying to get past him, and the other driver wouldn't let him in, hence why the blue taxi was sitting at an angle when the perp obviously jumped out.

Anyway, here's a car that was abandoned at the back of the rank earlier, and the occupants just wandered off. Into the restaurant down there, I'd guess.

Nothing unusual about that. But it's at the exact spot where the incident happened the other night. AND I'm almost certain the occupants of the car are a couple of the proprietors of one of the local taxi firms :-o ](*,) [-X

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:33 pm 

Gosh, that unplated vehicle to the left looks familiar - wonder where I've seen it before, very recently =;

https://www.facebook.com/standrewstaxis ... mmYqnYGsnl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:51 am 

Are there no parking wardens in St Andrews? Or are they like the Glasgow reverse-vampires and only appear during the day?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:14 pm 

XH558 wrote:
Are there no parking wardens in St Andrews? Or are they like the Glasgow reverse-vampires and only appear during the day?

Sounds about right. Doubt if anyone's been ticketed on the rank since before lockdown, and even then I'd guess just a handful of tickets over many years, as compared to thousands of parking offences [-X

In fact, a few articles in the Courier a few months ago neatly summed things up. It's about Kirkcaldy (which is in Fife as well, but might as well be Edinburgh or Glasgow as regards how much I know about it...)

Anyway, seems the wardens came out and handed out lots of tickets, and all the 'poor us' people ticketed were complaining because ‘You don’t expect traffic wardens at night’.

Which just about sums it all up.

On the other hand, it seems the wardens were handing out tickets for cars parked on a taxi rank which had actually ceased to be a taxi rank some time ago :-o

(In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually still a rank, because I'd guess it's one of those late-night only ranks. On the other hand, I think the club it might have actually serviced has closed now, so who knows...)

And, of course, councillors bleating about it all, but other than moaning and causing trouble, no obvious solutions to the likes of the stuff in St Andrews...

Doubt these articles of much interest to anyone on here, but these are a couple of the Courier pieces (think there were three or four in total).

https://archive.is/p4YW4

https://archive.is/g90bU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:16 pm 

Anwyay, got this email today from our LO. Don't know if I'll go - I'd either say nothing, or say far too much, and anytime I've ever challenged even the slighest thing in the past I'm made to feel like Public Enemy No 1 :-s

Fife Council wrote:
Good morning,

The Miscellaneous Licensing Team has been made aware of incidents arising in and around taxi ranks in the St. Andrews area.

Our team recognises that this is a cause of concern for taxi operators working in the area and would like to give you an assurance that these incidents are being taken seriously and that we will try to address these matters, where we can.

As you are a taxi operator in East Fife, can I please ask if you would be interested in being part of a taxi operators forum to discuss these incidents and other taxi related concerns in the East Fife area?

If you would be interested in being part of a taxi operators forum, for the East Fife area, please email me by 20th June. If I receive a reply from you expressing an interest in being part of this forum, I will contact you further to arrange a meeting to discuss the above matters, as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:35 pm 

I would go and express your disappointment over the lack of enforcement.

At least the council acknowledges a problem, and who better than you to help them sort it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:19 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
I would go and express your disappointment over the lack of enforcement.

At least the council acknowledges a problem, and who better than you to help them sort it?

you could take along a short slide show of non taxis parked on the rank :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:47 am 

IMHO I'd take up the council invite to a forum - they'll (mis)use a low response as evidence that 'everything is fine'.

The rule of three is never a bad thing. Stick to what 3 things would be an improvement?