Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:41 am 

In one breath you're trying to say that it doesn't matter where the person comes from, then in the next you're trying to say that there's a difference between immigrants from the old British Empire and those from the newer EU states, so are they all the same or are they not, or is this another wind up? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:29 am 

Quote:
In one breath you're trying to say that it doesn't matter where the person comes from, then in the next you're trying to say that there's a difference between immigrants from the old British Empire and those from the newer EU states, so are they all the same or are they not, or is this another wind up?

You asked for an opinion, you know yourself legally EU states take presidence over the former Empire. I was giving a personal opinion (I take it there allowed?).

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm 

Taxi Driver Recruitment
Dunross – Recruiting pre-trained, security vetted private hire and hackney carriage drivers from Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia
Dunross works together with TaxiFast, one of the leading private hire and hackney carriage firms in the UK to guarantee standards and expert training.

Dunross are experts in recruiting drivers to arrive to you pre-trained and guaranteed to pass your local authority knowledge test

The Dunross service for Private-Hire and hackney carriage companies includes:

• Locate candidates to fit your exact specifications
• Interviewing / referencing / translation of all your documentation
• Police and medical checks for all candidates
• Classroom training in our dedicated taxi training centre in Prague. We guarantee candidates will pass your local authority knowledge test
• Driver training and/or assessment in our Czech driving centre
• All applications and documentation completed
• Organise transport to the UK and UK mobile phone given to all candidates
• Organise accommodation in the UK
• On-going support to candidates

http://www.dunross.co.uk/article.php?id=61

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:43 pm 

captain cab wrote:

You asked for an opinion, you know yourself legally EU states take presidence over the former Empire. I was giving a personal opinion (I take it there allowed?).

CC

Well, of course, but wasn't it you who was effectively saying that it was only the law that mattered and thus opinions shouldn't be proffered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:45 pm 

captain cab wrote:

CC

On the contrary, it looked more like you were making a value judgement as to who you thought should take precedence as regards immigration, rather than a statement of the law.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:47 pm 

streetcars wrote:
G B M that is the article. Taken unedited off Franks own web site. I just want you to agree with me, that in a city Like Liverpool where there are thousands out of work

That was because Hatton was a member of the GMB as well was'nt he? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:36 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Taxi Driver Recruitment
Dunross – Recruiting pre-trained, security vetted private hire and hackney carriage drivers from Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia
Dunross works together with TaxiFast, one of the leading private hire and hackney carriage firms in the UK to guarantee standards and expert training.

Dunross are experts in recruiting drivers to arrive to you pre-trained and guaranteed to pass your local authority knowledge test

The Dunross service for Private-Hire and hackney carriage companies includes:

• Locate candidates to fit your exact specifications
• Interviewing / referencing / translation of all your documentation
• Police and medical checks for all candidates
• Classroom training in our dedicated taxi training centre in Prague. We guarantee candidates will pass your local authority knowledge test
• Driver training and/or assessment in our Czech driving centre
• All applications and documentation completed
• Organise transport to the UK and UK mobile phone given to all candidates
• Organise accommodation in the UK
• On-going support to candidates

http://www.dunross.co.uk/article.php?id=61

The majority of that sales pitch is totally irrelevant to this debate because people are not interested about organising accommodation, ongoing support or flights.

What is relevant is the quality testing of drivers no matter who they are or where they come from?

As we all know, the UK doesn't have a National quality drivers test and in those local authorities that do have tests there are varying degrees of standards.

My own preference is to divest Taxi licensing from councils and place it in the hands of a National regulator administered through regional area offices. There would be a National Qualification, which included the items I have previously suggested, and many more. There would also be a local knowledge test in the area you intended to work which included local bylaws.

Under such a regime the emphasis would be placed on drivers and not on owners and would therefore probably negate the need for a two tier system.

It is noticeable that in the majority of areas that don't have mandatory orders in respect of the PCO vehicle conditions a one-tier system is practically in existence.

In order to confirm the licensing structure in Plymouth I contacted the licensing department who advised me of the following procedure.

Plymouth requires an affidavit from foreign applicants and a criminal background check supplied by the embassy. Plymouth has no way of knowing how accurate these details are? If the person has been in the UK for three months I am told a UK CRB check can be obtained.

Plymouth knowledge Test consists of a bank of 115 routes 300 streets and 700 venues. The test comprises answering questions on 50 venues, 20 streets and 10 routes. There is one point for each venue, one point for each street and three points for each route. It is a written test with a Pass requirement is 90%.

There is also a driving test undertaken by the local transport authority based on the DSA model and In January 2007 or soon after Plymouth are hoping to introduce an NVQ qualification.

There is no knowledge testing of local bylaws, legislation, numeric or English. There is however a consumer awareness introduction.

At this moment in time I am not prepared to comment on the thoroughness of any Eastern European CRB check and neither is the Plymouth licensing department. However I suspect on the law of averages at least one instance may arise that will confirm that the UK is not alone in omitting vital information from CRB checks? The main influx of eastern European drivers has so far come from the Czech Republic.

Contrary to the claims of others my own opinion is that if you live or work in Plymouth then this test should be a formality.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 pm 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
And as for you Sussex who the F**k are you what have you done joined the union yet paying your subs?

He He. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:45 pm 

JD wrote:
It is noticeable that in the majority of areas that don't have mandatory orders in respect of the PCO vehicle conditions a one-tier system is practically in existence.

A mandatory order and/or restricted numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:51 pm 

Quote:
Well, of course, but wasn't it you who was effectively saying that it was only the law that mattered and thus opinions shouldn't be proffered?

Yes in different posts and to differing points / context

Quote:
On the contrary, it looked more like you were making a value judgement as to who you thought should take precedence as regards immigration, rather than a statement of the law.

I wasnt stating law I was offering an opinion.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:52 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

A mandatory order and/or restricted numbers.

Yes, I meant to distinguish between restricted and unrestricted areas but I forgot. I hope people realise I meant a one tier system in areas that don't have quantity controls.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:33 pm 

Quote:

Because of your new found belief in a competitive market I take it you are 100% behind the present unchecked mass migration of Eastern Europeans?

JD

its exactly the same as the unchecked mass migration to drive taxi's in deregulated areas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:24 am 

captain cab wrote:

Cap? Have you been down to Plymouth to asked the public what they think of the new intake of Eastern European drivers?

Well to my surprise Plymouth came to Manchester last night in the shape of three football fans. We had an interesting discussion about Eastern European Plymouth Private hire drivers. The unanimous consensus from all three was that the Europeans all use Sat nav and without it they haven't got a clue where they are going. They said even with the sat Nav system many drivers are lost.

All three of my punters said the standard of English is very poor.

So much for memorising set routes in a polish knowledge school, when it comes to reality, the wheels fall off.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:12 pm 

JD wrote:
The unanimous consensus from all three was that the Europeans all use Sat nav and without it they haven't got a clue where they are going.

Coach firm down here use Polish drivers with a Polish sat nav. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Cap? Have you been down to Plymouth to asked the public what they think of the new intake of Eastern European drivers?

Well to my surprise Plymouth came to Manchester last night in the shape of three football fans. We had an interesting discussion about Eastern European Plymouth Private hire drivers. The unanimous consensus from all three was that the Europeans all use Sat nav and without it they haven't got a clue where they are going. They said even with the sat Nav system many drivers are lost.

All three of my punters said the standard of English is very poor.

So much for memorising set routes in a polish knowledge school, when it comes to reality, the wheels fall off.

Regards

JD

I've spoken with both the trade and the public, both seem a tad concerned about the standard of driving and the actual standard of topographical expertise, however there is a test in place and a knowledge test too, but it would make me question how high the standards are or how good the training is :shock:

If you take a peek on the local authority website look at all of the european sounding names appearing in front of the committee.

From this, and looking objectively, it is reasonable to assume something needs done by the LA.

regards

CC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next