Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 19434
So this is a female taxi driver in Inverness, who wishes to remain anonymous. And who's been subject to racism. That kind of narrows it down a bit, I'd guess :?

But I suppose we can all identify with some of the points being made. And many have been made in various forms and in numerous locations lots of times before.

Makes a change from the recent stuff from Inverness, though...


‘Sexism, racism and abuse… for barely the minimum wage’ – anonymous Inverness driver speaks out on the struggles – and joys – of life in the Highland taxi industry

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/new ... -w-446538/

A Highland taxi driver has offered a heartfelt insight into her own struggles in an industry hit by falling earnings and a rising tide of abuse.

As recent stories have shown, taxi operators face a perfect storm of soaring costs and reduced income, with rapidly rising fuel prices at the pump a major factor.

They are far from alone in suffering amid the prolonged UK cost of living crisis, made worse by global conflicts, tariffs and oil blockades.

As a consequence, perceptions of high fares tend to engender little public sympathy.

The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, contacted us in the hope of shedding light and generating greater understanding of the “incredibly challenging” hardships shared by drivers around the city.

She is calling for not only greater understanding, but also changes to ensure the taxi trade is viable for individual drivers working long, often anti-social hours.

She told how, after clearing £600 a week in costs, she can often “barely make the minimum wage”, with none of the ‘safety net’ employment benefits taken for granted by company or public sector employees.

Separately, she details how as a woman driver she has encountered aggression, verbal abuse, sexism and racism within her cab.

She also tells how she has often navigated dangerous wintry roads, providing a vital service when all other modes of paid transport are halted by the atrocious conditions.

Despite all this, the woman conveys a genuine love of the job and helping the public, where she often acts as a sounding board, lifeline service and social work counsellor to some of those she transports.

The woman was at pains to stress these were my personal observations while operating a taxi in the Highland area; but said they “appeared consistent with what I hear from other licensed taxi drivers”.

Here, we share her experiences in full, as sent to us with a view to publication.

She said: “I am a licensed taxi driver in Inverness and want to share some of my experiences as a female taxi driver in Inverness and the Highlands.

“In recent years, there have been numerous decisions by local and national governments that have eroded the livelihoods of taxi drivers. Not least, taxi fares last increased in February 2023, while costs have risen by over 30 per cent in those three-and-a-half years.

“Other self‑employed businesses have the option to increase their prices in line with costs, while self‑employed taxi drivers are unable to charge more than is regulated by the Highland Council.

“Even the Highland Council has increased its compliance charges to taxi drivers this time.”

Stressing the list was not exhaustive, she named other factors eroding her livelihood:

- The subsidised £2 bus service;

- No cap on the number of taxi drivers, which dilutes available work;

- Many more minibus tours from outwith our area crowding out private tours for local taxi drivers;

- Fewer tips. People say ‘Keep the change!’ when they pay by cash. As more payments are now by card, people can also ask to round it up on card as a tip.

On the latter point, she added: “As a self‑employed driver, I do receive the tips on card – and I am enormously grateful to know you appreciated my service.

“The fare on the meter is not my wage.

“I now personally have to earn £600 per week to break even, and this is increasing as fuel and costs increase.

“After this, I begin to earn a wage. I barely reach the minimum hourly wage of an employed person. I do not receive holiday pay, sick pay or a company pension.

“While it’s essential to cover costs and be able to make a reasonable living without always having to work an unsustainable 60‑hour week, this is not solely about costs.

“I want to speak about something that the general public and the Highland Council are not necessarily aware of – and that is the role we play as part of the community in Inverness and the Highlands.

“Taxi drivers are not just driving people from A to B. It is so, so much more than that.

“Fifty per cent of my work is driving people from A to B. During that time I am in a small space with someone I don’t necessarily know. I have to judge their emotional state, their physical state and their mental state.

“At short notice, I could be everything from a tour guide to a carer, to a personal assistant, to a cleaner, to a counsellor, to a bouncer.

“I could be taking a child safely to school, then dealing with someone having an emotional breakdown, then being the first person in Scotland a visitor chats with as I collect them at the airport.

“Next, I could be dealing with someone who is drunk or hallucinating on drugs.

“At times, I endure sexism, racism and abuse. At other times, gratitude and thanks.

“Sometimes I may not be as talkative as usual. My last passenger may have been aggressive, or the last three customers may have talked without pause.

“It may be the 10th time that day I’ve been asked if I’m busy! I want you to know that I am doing my very best to work with kindness.

“It is very intense work. It can be both emotionally draining and emotionally rewarding.

“At times, I personally feel underappreciated and certainly feel financially restricted in an incredibly challenging line of work.

“We are coming into winter. Usually in summer I can work hard and save up to cover for the quiet months between November and April. However, this year it has not been possible to save as much. I’m worried.

“During bad weather, when the flights, the trains and the subsidised buses have all stopped running, the taxis will still be working.

“When the buses have stopped, staff still need to rotate at Raigmore Hospital and in the care homes.

"People still need to be rescued from their stuck cars when the AA or RAC cannot get to them. Blood still needs to be transported.

“I have put my life at risk to keep working in snow and storms. In just one storm I removed two separate trees that had fallen into the road and gave accommodation for two stranded tourists when nothing was available in town.

“At times we all have to become a fifth emergency service. Despite it being scary at times, I love this part of my work.

“But I’m not the only taxi driver that would do this. I want to acknowledge that Inverness and the Highlands has lots of amazing taxi drivers that add incredible value to the area, yet go unnoticed.

“In a recent example, I watched a young Asian male driver so patiently and kindly look after his elderly disabled lady passenger. It was beautiful to watch, particularly after all the recent negative press about a rogue driver.

“The vast majority of drivers are wonderful family people who will do whatever they can to ensure their customers are safe, happy and looked after.

“These are the instances that don’t get reported and they happen all the time. This is normal. It is important that it is reported.

“I write this so that the general public and the Highland Council can recognise the issues, challenges and successes of our taxi service.

“I hope it goes some way to demonstrate what it is like to work at the sharp end.

“We need to recognise the incredible contribution that the vast majority of genuine taxi drivers bring to our community. A viable, motivated and appreciated taxi service is integral to the functioning of the Highlands. I feel that the playing field has to be levelled.

“I ask for either fair taxi rates or perhaps a subsidy like the buses enjoy, so that we can continue to serve our community at these lower fares.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 19434
Quote:
Fifty per cent of my work is driving people from A to B. During that time I am in a small space with someone I don’t necessarily know. I have to judge their emotional state, their physical state and their mental state.

That and other passages are a useful antidote to the stuff relating to the Inverness rapist and women passengers getting into a small space with a driver they don't know. It does work both ways :-o

On the other hand, the tenor of this piece is maybe that she's in danger because she's a woman. True, of course, but it does apply to male drivers as well.

Quote:
“In a recent example, I watched a young Asian male driver so patiently and kindly look after his elderly disabled lady passenger. It was beautiful to watch, particularly after all the recent negative press about a rogue driver."

The gratuitous reference to that other driver's race perhaps underlines that the woman isn't white either.

So I'd guess that, although she's not named, it will be easy-peasy for those in Inverness to identify who she is. In fact, even many readers of the Inverness Courier will know her...

I mean, the population of Inverness is less than 50,000, and I'd guess the trade is still largely comprised 'gammon' males :-o

So she must stick out like a sore thumb.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 856 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group