Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:04 pm 
"Private Hire cars are not taxis and therefore shouldn't have access to bus lanes. "

Yet another wholly illogical statement!

Are Taxis buses?

If not, why should they have access to bus lanes???

Could it be because they are a form of publicly available transport? - though try telling that to Customs and Excise next time you try and claim back your fuel duty!!!

Private hire and Taxis perform the same function - taking groups of customers from A to B. The only difference is in the way they are hired in the first place. How this has any bearing on what roads they can then use whilst travelling from A to B is unclear.

Perhaps if all you idiots could stop argueing with each other and start lobbying against the REAL threats to this trade - spiralling insurance costs, corrupt councils, exhorbitant fuel charges and unworkable disabled regulations - then we might all be better off, whether private hire or hackney.

I live in hope.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:09 pm 

It was going so well, and I totally agree with most of your post.

However 'us idiots' takes us no where. That doesn't solve the anti this, that and the other, it perpetuates it. :(

You are correct that bus lanes should be used by all those licensed vehicles, being paid to take from A to B.

You are also correct in saying that we should be united in fighting against corrupt councils, fuel costs, insurance costs and the onslaught of stupid regulations.

By sharing our moans and groans on here might not solve much, if anything at all, but it's a start.

'Us idiots' might make no difference whatsoever or we might may a little headway, but at least we are trying to give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:16 pm 

Mr Guest.

Please if you have any info on corrupt councils, or anything else you think would make a good story, then please e-mail us and we might be able to sort something out.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:05 am 
Are busses "public transport" ?

Or are they privately owned PLC's returning massive dividends to their shareholders year upon year.

Lay a trap and one will jump straight in.

Taxis and private hire vehicles DO NOT differ solely in the way they are hired, the only simalarity is with the person driving.

Surely I don't need to point out ALL the differances between the two types of vehicles.

Is this site intended to cloud peoples perspective and divert their attentions from the real issues.

Lets go through your rediculous examles -
1- INSURANCE . taken into consideration when fare increase negotiations are held. Also added to by the wreckless actions of those who don't deserve to hold any badge whatsoever.
2- FUEL COSTS . taken into consideration when fare increase negotiations are held.
3- CORUPT COUNCILS. maybe there are some council employee's who are in a touch over their head.
4- UNWORKABLE DISABLED REGULATIONS. this wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the only safe WAV's available cost in excess of £22k, and no-one wants to spend it, would it.

For gods sake, people should really start thinking about the possible implications their requests could bring on the whole trade, maybe on relection these driverless cabs are a good idea, particularly in some areas along the S/E Coast.

here we go....ready..Image

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:46 am 
Anonymous wrote:
"Private Hire cars are not taxis and therefore shouldn't have access to bus lanes. "

Yet another wholly illogical statement!

Are Taxis buses?

If not, why should they have access to bus lanes???

Could it be because they are a form of publicly available transport? - though try telling that to Customs and Excise next time you try and claim back your fuel duty!!!

Private hire and Taxis perform the same function - taking groups of customers from A to B. The only difference is in the way they are hired in the first place. How this has any bearing on what roads they can then use whilst travelling from A to B is unclear.

Perhaps if all you idiots could stop argueing with each other and start lobbying against the REAL threats to this trade - spiralling insurance costs, corrupt councils, exhorbitant fuel charges and unworkable disabled regulations - then we might all be better off, whether private hire or hackney.

I live in hope.............

your question has already been answered! repeating wont get a different answer!

buses taxis both hackneys.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:20 pm 

Wharfie wrote:

Wharfie

So an 'O' license for a vehicle with less than 9 seats, is a HC now? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:41 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Wharfie wrote:

Wharfie

So an 'O' license for a vehicle with less than 9 seats, is a HC now? :?

I would like to say yes, alas they seem hybrid dont they? hackney with 8 seats you are in. :wink:

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:48 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
As for the PH trade having nothing to do with de-limination, well they do. Where do you think most of the new plate holders come from, following de-limination? If there was no PH trade, and the 1976 act never was, then I would say that by now all councils would be de-limited. Because the existing HC trade couldn't cope.

Couldn't cope with what?

No private hire trade, no pre-booking facilities.

Maybe you should have said the busses couldn't cope.

And BTW if there was no P/H trade and no 1976 act then the councils wouldn't delimit H/C, because no-one would have ambitions to become H/C, provoked through the main supply industry that is the P/H industry. Is their anyone out there fullfilling their lifelong ambition working in the taxi "trade", I don't think it was even on my list of "what I want to be when I grow up" but then again some of us haven't even managed to that yet.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:23 am 
Mick Pollard wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:
As for the PH trade having nothing to do with de-limination, well they do. Where do you think most of the new plate holders come from, following de-limination? If there was no PH trade, and the 1976 act never was, then I would say that by now all councils would be de-limited. Because the existing HC trade couldn't cope.

Couldn't cope with what?

No private hire trade, no pre-booking facilities.

Maybe you should have said the busses couldn't cope.

And BTW if there was no P/H trade and no 1976 act then the councils wouldn't delimit H/C, because no-one would have ambitions to become H/C, provoked through the main supply industry that is the P/H industry. Is their anyone out there fullfilling their lifelong ambition working in the taxi "trade", I don't think it was even on my list of "what I want to be when I grow up" but then again some of us haven't even managed to that yet.

B. Lucky

prior to 76 the taxis still had premiums and taxis had offices Mick, you dont know what you are talking about!

perhaps you ought to drop this line as you are 100% wrong and you are just guessing.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:58 am 
Sorry Wharfie,

I didn't realise that your ambition throughout your schooling was to drive taxis, and as soon as you were able, dashed into your local licensing office application form in hand.

Read the arguments then comment, oh and read the full argument from the beginning you silly boy.

Image[Automated by GetSmile]

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:29 am 
Mick Pollard wrote:
Sorry Wharfie,

I didn't realise that your ambition throughout your schooling was to drive taxis, and as soon as you were able, dashed into your local licensing office application form in hand.

Read the arguments then comment, oh and read the full argument from the beginning you silly boy.

Image[Automated by GetSmile]

B. Lucky

I am not falling for that one either Mick!
nowhere have I said what my ambitions were at school and it has nothing at all to do with you!

everything has its reasons, and the act to license private hire was in many ways to get some order into the trade, nothing else!

as for taxi licensing nothing has realy changed in donkeys years, yet the trade has massively swelled beyond its capacity.

the trade as we know it has about 10 years left, there are much more efficient ways of moving people.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:59 am 

Mick Pollard wrote:
Couldn't cope with what?

Well I would say that there are (with London) about 150,000 PH vehicles in the UK.

Are you saying that the existing HC trade could cope with demand, through 'Managed Growth', or the mythical 'National Cab Act'?

There are only one group of Wally's that believe that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:16 pm 

Mick Pollard wrote:
And BTW if there was no P/H trade and no 1976 act then the councils wouldn't delimit H/C, because no-one would have ambitions to become H/C,

So why would they need to limit in the first place if no one had ambitions to become HC???

I think that's what Maurice would call a non sequitur, Mick!

Dusty :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:15 pm 
Mick,

If you are seriously suggesting that if you make all vehicles available for Private Hire, then none of them will wish to operate from offices, then you must be even more stupid than you sound! :twisted:

Already a large proportion of Hackney drivers operate through a "booking office" to supplement their work when the ranks / streets are quiet. Is it to be assumed that drivers are so stupid that they would rather sit and do nothing when hundreds of punters are 'phoning looking for a cab?

What IS likely is that office rents will reduce as drivers are less dependent on 'phoned bookings to make their money meaning less profits for owners and more for drivers.

Is that such a bad thing?

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:53 am 

Anonymous wrote:
What IS likely is that office rents will reduce as drivers are less dependent on 'phoned bookings to make their money meaning less profits for owners and more for drivers.

Is that such a bad thing?

Dave.

Dave you are right, it's not a bad thing.

However it doesn't fit in with the scaremongering, from those who should know better.

The truth is only the truth to them, when it suits them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next