Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:01 pm 

Thursday 7 Sept 2006

Warrington Guardian

INNOVATIVE FEMAIL ONLY CAB FIRMS BID TO OPERATE WITHOUT A LICENCE COULD HAVE NATIONAL IMPLICATIONS

Pink ladies taxis are lobbying Parliament to prevent changes that would stop the firm operating without a licence under a legal "loophole"

The taxi firm which is exclusively for female customers and employs female drivers has a licence to operate in Warrington which expires at the end of september.
It also has franchises around the country, but none of these operate with a licence.
Pink Ladies co-founder Andrea Withers argues that the firm, which employs uniformed drivers guided by sat nav is "completely different" than a normal private hire firm.
Ms Withers of newton said "we are not trying to cheat. We are just trying to provide a safe service for women."

She says that because they have a membership scheme, where customers recive "top-up" cards to use in Pink Ladies taxis instead of paying by cash they do not require a licence as the contract is etween the company and it's members club. This differs, she say's, from traditional licenced private hire firm where the contract is between the driver and the customer.
She said the company wants a restricted licence allowing pink ladies drivers to work for pink ladies only. She said the taxi knowledge test was not right for their employees many of whom are mums returning to work.

In setting up a national franchise business, the firm encountered inconsistencies in the licencing laws around the country. She says she took legal advise and belived they were exempt.
Ms Winders said the firm uses enhanced record checks and uses new vehicles which are checked every week and replaced after 3 years.

The council decided it could not allow a restricted licence because of issues with the sat nav and the computer fare system.
It was wary of whether an un-licenced firm could match the level of public safety provided by the licencing regulations.
The council called a conference with the firm in July.
"the view from everybody present was the law needs to be sorted".
Soon afterwards the Government announced a bill to close the loophole. It will go before parliament in October and get on the statute books by next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:06 pm 

"We are just trying to provide a service for women"

"many of whom are mums returning to work"

So the law shouldnt apply?

"the knowledge test is not right for our drivers"

No, i'll bet. I stopped one yesterday driving the wrong way down a one-way street!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:15 pm 

smiffyz (geoff) wrote:
Ms Withers of newton said "we are not trying to cheat. We are just trying to provide a safe service for women."

Oh yes you are trying to cheat. [-X

And is that stupid woman saying that an un-licensed un-checked vehicle, being driven by an un-licensed un-checked woman is a safe option? :^o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:34 pm 

The knowledge test isnt just how to get from a to b. Its disability awareness, road craft and much more.
Yesterday when i stopped one being killed by a bus, i banged on the window as she drove past and she was clueless on why i did it! when i told her it was one-way, in the other direction she said "i know it is"!! :shock:
How can they say "we change our vehicles every 3 years" when they've only been here a year?
Punters have to take their word for it that what they say about CRB, the vehicles and drivers is true because without any outside control they can say anything they want to, true or untrue. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:12 pm 

Obviously women cannot be violent criminals.

Obviously women cannot be paedophiles.

Obviously women do not potentially pose a risk.

This is quite clearly a case of deciding upon, or rejecting a item of goverment policy because of gender ................ and that my friends is discrimination.

If these people want to provide safe transport SURELY they would embrace the requirement to licence.

What insurance cover do these people have?

What is the situation if my wife is a member and she is out with me?

This whole Pink Ladies thing is a folly .................. if you are in a position of trust by offering transport services then everyone concerned should be properly licensed in order to ensure the safety of the PASSENGER, whether they are a club member or a member of the public.

I wonder if their position would change if HC & PH were allowed free fuel, or free road tax ........................ how quickly would they want to be licensed then.

B. Lucky :D

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:02 pm 

smiffyz (geoff) wrote:
Thursday 7 Sept 2006

Warrington Guardian

INNOVATIVE FEMAIL ONLY CAB FIRMS BID TO OPERATE WITHOUT A LICENCE COULD HAVE NATIONAL IMPLICATIONS

Pink ladies taxis are lobbying Parliament to prevent changes that would stop the firm operating without a licence under a legal "loophole" [/b]

This article is not as comprehensive as the one I read but it is written by the same journalist by all acounts.

If anyone has any constructive comments to add to the ones already offered by others they can email Journalist Stephen Bailey at the following address.

sbailey@guardiangrp.co.uk

Other comments reported are as follows.

Bruno Beliznia, chairman of Warrington Taxi Drivers Association, said: "Members have been upset and it seems unfair, but the important point is that they are operating within the law."

If Pink Ladies continued to operate in this way other companies might follow suit.

Bryan Rowland, editor of Taxi and Private Hire magazine, said: "It is not so much the impact of Pink Ladies as the potential impact."

Pink Ladies started in May 2005 and was welcomed by council officers as a breath of fresh air.

But the council decided it could not allow the restricted licences because of issues with the satellite navigation systems and the computer fare system.

It was wary of whether an unlicensed firm could match the level of public safety provided by the licensing regulations. The council called a conference of local authorities with Pink Ladies franchises in July.

"The view from everybody present was the law needed to be sorted," said Phil Barnes, the taxis licensing officer.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:26 pm 

JD wrote:
The council called a conference of local authorities with Pink Ladies franchises in July. "The view from everybody present was the law needed to be sorted," said Phil Barnes, the taxis licensing officer.

It would appear Phil Barnes of Warrington was a prime mover in bringing these councils together.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 pm 

smiffyz (geoff) wrote:
She said the taxi knowledge test was not right for their employees many of whom are mums returning to work.

I don't think knowledge tests have anything to do with the driver's personal circumstances. #-o

Quote:
In setting up a national franchise business, the firm encountered inconsistencies in the licencing laws around the country. She says she took legal advise and belived they were exempt.

And here was me thinking that lawyers concocted their business model in an attempt to get round licensing. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:19 pm 

I think perhaps MP's need lobbied in respect of the repeal going through.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:42 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I think perhaps MP's need lobbied in respect of the repeal going through.

CC

I think that goes without question, there is website that has a link to every MP I'll post that on here if I can find it. Perhaps you or your buddies at taxitalk could highlight the opposition to the removal of the clause by those who don't want to be licensed. I'll also put the ministers addy on here so people can email her if they wish. We shouldn't really lose this one but politics is a funny game?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:49 pm 

Quote:
I think that goes without question, there is website that has a link to every MP I'll post that on here if I can find it. Perhaps you or your buddies at taxitalk could highlight the opposition to the removal of the clause by those who don't want to be licensed. I'll also put the ministers addy on here so people can email her if they wish. We shouldn't really lose this one but politics is a funny game?

Regards

JD

I am in full agreement JD, if you could post the link, I'll send out information tommorrow, via a email list I have with local associations and that press release issued last month.

Incidentally, I am meeting my MP tommorrow regarding various issues concerning the differences between a CRB check and 'certificate of good conduct'. I'll mention it to him too.

I think a word of warning in TT would be a very good idea, unfortunately I think we've missed the Sept deadline, so October will be the first opportunity.

Regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:49 pm 

JD wrote:
I think that goes without question, there is website that has a link to every MP I'll post that on here if I can find it.

On our database we have all the e-mail addresses of both MPs and MSPs, as of three years ago.

I know many would have changed, but if anyone wants them, then they can have a copy. :wink:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:51 pm 

Quote:
On our database we have all the e-mail addresses of both MPs and MSPs, as of three years ago.

I know many would have changed, but if anyone wants them, then they can have a copy.

Alex

If it isnt too big could you send it to my email addy at work?

thanks

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:16 pm 

I'd like a copy to please, it's a big issue here in warrington.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:30 pm 

JD wrote:
JD wrote:
The council called a conference of local authorities with Pink Ladies franchises in July. "The view from everybody present was the law needed to be sorted," said Phil Barnes, the taxis licensing officer.

It would appear Phil Barnes of Warrington was a prime mover in bringing these councils together.

Regards

JD

Yes he's on the ball, there have been time's when we've had words but all in all he's good for the industry.
I belive he's recently won a national award to. =D>