It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:04 am 

There's a lot of sense in this article.

South Wales Evening Post

August 25, 2006 Friday

HEADLINE: Testing times for cabs quizmasters

BYLINE: Rob Green

Taxi! Getting from A to B in a city the size of Swansea should not present too many problems.

However, the vast majority of would-be cabbies in the area are just as likely to end up at X, Y or Z.

Gaining "The Knowledge" is a crucial part of getting a licence to drive a black taxi or minicab, but less than five per cent of applicants pass the test at the first go. Some have taken it as many as 12 times and fed-up council officers are saying enough is enough.

They want all new applicants to be given just three chances at passing the test. If they failed their third attempt, they would have to wait 12 months before taking it again.

Swansea Council's licensing committee chairman Ioan Richard said: "A council officer has to oversee the test and at the moment it could be just one person sitting the test, so it is a drain on resources.

"It can be a real waste of time if we keep getting the same person taking the test over and over again. "It is in the interests of everyone that taxi drivers have a good knowledge of the area," he added. "It is not just a question of getting a passenger from A to B, it's a comprehensive test."

Many local taxi drivers now use satellite navigation to make sure they do not get lost, but Councillor Richard said The Knowledge still had a role to play. "Knowing where a street is, is not enough. Someone could get in a taxi and say 'Take me to a night club', or 'I want to go swimming'.

"There are lots of people who come to Swansea as tourists and do not know street names - they want to be taken to places such as hotels or restaurants. "That is why The Knowledge is still important."

However, Wayne Harris, chairman of Swansea Private Hire Association, said that satellite navigation systems were changing the way drivers worked. He said: "I think The Knowledge test is a complete and utter nonsense when we have all got sat-nav.

"There are other more important issues that need addressing. "A lot of people who are going for licences cannot even speak English. There is a basic test, but it is not nearly hard enough.

"I had someone who had a licence come in looking for work, but his English was so bad he brought an interpreter with him. "That is a more important issue for passengers now we have the satellite technology."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 am 

South Wales Evening Post

August 25, 2006 Friday

HEADLINE: Take taxi test

In London, one of the worst places in the world to navigate, gaining "The Knowledge" is viewed as a real achievement, and the capital's cabbies are among the world's best as a result. How sad that Swansea's taxi drivers don't view the exam as highly. Sat-nav may be trendy, but it is by no means foolproof. Try using it to negotiate The Kingsway roadworks and you may end up in the Tawe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 am 

More sat nav hell.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/articl ... 68241.html

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 am 

JD wrote:
They want all new applicants to be given just three chances at passing the test. If they failed their third attempt, they would have to wait 12 months before taking it again.

Cgull will have to confirm this but I'm pretty sure that's the situation in Brighton & Hove.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

Cgull will have to confirm this but I'm pretty sure that's the situation in Brighton & Hove.

Three attempts sounds reasonable to me but others might have a different opinion?

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:02 pm 
Sussex wrote:

pretty certain thats the policy.
not sure they have it just to improve standards.
more like they dont want to spend all there time testing timewasters. :-$