Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 pm 

Cabbies threaten court action in magnets row

CABBIES say they will take Crawley Council to court to "protect their safety".

They want removable magnets on the side of their vehicles instead of the permanent stick-ers,which they claim cause them to be harassed 24-hours-a-day by members of the public.

The Crawley Licensed Cab Drivers' Association (CLCDA) has been negotiating with the council for the last year but it has refused to introduce the magnets because of concerns over public safety.

Association chairman Zainool Ebrahim, from Broadfield, said: "I have had someone knock on my door in the middle of a night and ask me for a lift because they saw my car in the driveway.

"Even when my family go to the cinema we are getting asked for lifts and then I worry about my car outside for the rest of the night.

"My son doesn't like getting in it now because of the hassle we are getting from people.

"We would pay for the magnets ourselves so the council would not have to go to any further expense for this change."

The association is also unhappy that some cabbies operating in the town are reportedly obtaining their licence through Mole Valley Council and then working in Crawley without the stickers on their cars.

Under current laws there is nothing stopping cab drivers doing this.

And now Crawley cabbies are reluctantly threatening to do the same if the council does not listen to their demands over stickers.

There are more than 500 cabbies in Crawley who pay around £300 to get a licence through the council.

Derek Kiernan, vice-chairman of the association, said: "If the council do not listen about the stickers we will have to go to Mole Valley Council for our licences."

A Crawley Council spokes-woman said: "We have a very good relationship with taxi drivers in town and we value the high standards that they meet with our council.

"However, we can't stop other licensing authorities licensing private hire vehicles beyond their boundary.

"We think it is wrong and we have spoken to other councils to ask them to stop doing this.

"The decision to bring in stickers was introduced in 2003 when the licensing committee agreed it was the safest way of alerting the people to which firm the cab is from."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 pm 

A number of things strike me about this article.

A Hackney Carriage is always a Hackney Carriage, once your vehicle becomes a licensed vehicle then surely you give up certain things such as the privacy element?

Quote:
"If the council do not listen about the stickers we will have to go to Mole Valley Council for our licences."

For an elected member of the association to state this I find quite amazing :shock:

CC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:51 am 

captain cab wrote:
Association chairman Zainool Ebrahim, from Broadfield, said: "I have had someone knock on my door in the middle of a night and ask me for a lift because they saw my car in the driveway.

captain cab wrote:
"Even when my family go to the cinema we are getting asked for lifts and then I worry about my car outside for the rest of the night.

Sounds like a bit of unmet demand going on here. :wink:

Wait until you all have to use wav's, stickers won't make much difference then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:01 am 

captain cab wrote:
A number of things strike me about this article.

A Hackney Carriage is always a Hackney Carriage, once your vehicle becomes a licensed vehicle then surely you give up certain things such as the privacy element?

I can't see anything wrong with privacy if the car is off-duty.

Surely it benefits both parties if the public don't try to hire a car that's off duty and thus the driver isn't hassled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:03 am 

captain cab wrote:
For an elected member of the association to state this I find quite amazing :shock:

CC

I was even more amazed at the following:

captain cab wrote:

A Crawley Council spokes-woman said: "We have a very good relationship with taxi drivers in town....
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:43 pm 

Quote:
Surely it benefits both parties if the public don't try to hire a car that's off duty and thus the driver isn't hassled?

Is there no argument that a HC is always a HC & if they dont like it do something else?

I mean, I dont see many bus drivers taking there family shopping in 52 seaters!

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:37 pm 

But it can't always be available for hire, what about when the driver's on the way to swap with another driver or at home resting or using the vehicle on personal business?

An HC may always be an HC, but it's not always on duty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It sounds to me as if the driver of the vehicle might be taking advantage of it's taxi status to use rank spaces as convenient parking which might lead members of the public to approach it at busy times. I get approached sometimes when i'm off duty usually when i'm supermarket shopping you just politely tell them your not available.

As to stickers being dangerous HOW ?

Surely there is far more risk of a magnetic board coming loose from the car and injuring someone and a taxi will always stand out from the crowd of cars when parked wether it is on a car park or outside your street that isn't dangerous it just means your going to occassionally be asked to do a fare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:57 am 

Quote:
An HC may always be an HC, but it's not always on duty?

If you have something like a Compliance Certificate instead of an MOT, isnt the compliance only any use whilst the vehicle is licensed?

Some areas have a condition where plates & signage must be attached 24/7.

Personally, the vehicle is a tool and I think you give up certain things.

CC