Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: scotland
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:04 am 
i read in one of the threads about the scottish taxi federation putting it about that the oft report does not include scotland ,there are notices in the offices in dundee claiming to be from the scottish taxi federation saying that (there should be no panic regarding the gossip surrounding single tier as this does not include scotland only england) last year i had in my possesion a form from the scottish parliment asking scottish councils if they think single tier is a way forward ,it was also mentioned on scottish parliment live on bbc2 ,also aberdeen had an arcticle in their newspaper saying they were all for it i suspect these posters are in place to stem the sudden boom in private hire vehicles, up untill a few years ago they were unheard of in dundee now they represent about 25 percent of the fleet ,at the sept meeting 6 were issued the result ...hackney op,s advertising for drivers virtually every night in the tele.dundee council have also verified (if they are to be believed) that the oft report does include scotland, i estimate there may be as few as 8 people who know what is going on regards the trade in dundee and none are from the dta.

Post subject: Re: scotland
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:11 am 
scot wrote:
i read in one of the threads about the scottish taxi federation putting it about that the oft report does not include scotland ,there are notices in the offices in dundee claiming to be from the scottish taxi federation saying that (there should be no panic regarding the gossip surrounding single tier as this does not include scotland only england) last year i had in my possesion a form from the scottish parliment asking scottish councils if they think single tier is a way forward ,it was also mentioned on scottish parliment live on bbc2 ,also aberdeen had an arcticle in their newspaper saying they were all for it i suspect these posters are in place to stem the sudden boom in private hire vehicles, up untill a few years ago they were unheard of in dundee now they represent about 25 percent of the fleet ,at the sept meeting 6 were issued the result ...hackney op,s advertising for drivers virtually every night in the tele.dundee council have also verified (if they are to be believed) that the oft report does include scotland, i estimate there may be as few as 8 people who know what is going on regards the trade in dundee and none are from the dta.

Scot,
there is nothing in any policy doccuments anywhere to suggest that single tier is an option,In England though some like me think it ought to be.

Single tier is an idea that is floated in Sweet and Maxwell text books as a policy that many officials would like to see.

officials throughout England sometimes pretend there is no difference indeed get the acts mixed up.

I t is a lot of bloody fun to see the likes of some who advocate the trades get nearer busting a blood vessel opposing, what is a pipe dream, in rehearsing thier arguments they let the cat right out of the bag!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:58 am 

Scot, the OFT report is as relevant to Scotland as England, not to mention Northern Ireland.

Westminster legislate for the trade in England and Wales, and the Scottish Parliament does it for Scotland, but the OFT is still the competition 'watchdog' for both parliaments, because it's not a devolved matter.

So the OFT report and it will be to both parliaments, but it's up to them to decide what to do. I've seen the STF's submission to the OFT on their website and I don't think they realise what's going on, they seem to think it's only for England.

The Scottish Executive did propose a one-tier system in the consultation last year, it's on the Scottish Executive website.

I don't know what happened with that, but I suspect like in England, where they proposed de-limitation and one or two other things, they thought it better to wait to see what the OFT said.

The Scottish Executive also proposed limiting PH numbers (!) but didn't have anything to say about taxi number limits!!

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/consultation ... lpc-05.asp

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:51 am 
i have already had the consultation forms through my letter box and returned them with at least 3 other individuals not bad for 2400 badge holders,there,s been a lot happening in dundee over the year as some of you may know dundee private hire won their court case for 71 plates but the dta rallyed all the badgeholders and put in an appeal which will be heard at the court of session next year, dundee private hire who have had a sort of managment restructure are now aiming for wavs and a report in the local paper states that a report will go before dundee licsensing comitee in nov regards this it also states that a survey number may also be included which is,nt good for the 41 applications handed in just after dundee private hire won their case ,dundee council handed out letters to all badge holders saying that no new applications would be heard untill the figure for the survey was known but some know otherwiswe.
dundees hired plates suffered a severe bashing at the hands of a certain enforcement officer and many are relegated to drivers again .
the nov meetings going to be an interesting one as dundee does need these wavs but who gets them thats the question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:37 am 

I knew what I missed about taxiforums.com was the Dundee saga, thankfully it back, alive and kicking. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:53 am 
the dundee squad will be aware of this site soon and hopefully start posting some descent info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:07 am 
scot wrote:
the dundee squad will be aware of this site soon and hopefully start posting some descent info

you mean they havnt yet been told? the rumour mill doesnt work quickly up there? hope you havnt sent the message via Gateshead they think everything about taxis should be kept secret there, if wiganers wernet so gossipie, gatehead would know a lot less, and nothing about this site

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:18 am 
ive put the adress in the local paper the walls of the offices are dominated by the scottish taxi federation and they dont like people gaining knowledge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:26 am 
scot wrote:
ive put the adress in the local paper the walls of the offices are dominated by the scottish taxi federation and they dont like people gaining knowledge

realy? Gateshead would swell their numbers quite quickly, it must be a very northern thing, looking forward to the dundee lads comming I miss them from taxiforums.

what happened to that site?

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:41 am 
thats what i keep hearing , dundee council certainly knew of its pesence i made sure of that, the internet is a very powerfull medium and the spread of knowledge know no bounds particulary courts and there rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:00 am 
i miss larry duncans remarks (he does know a lot about taxi rules)but he,s too busy driving his cab now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:10 am 
does the scottish federation have a website?if so whats the adress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:02 am 

Yes I struggled through google and managed to find it under 'Scottish Taxi Federation'. :D

http://www.scottaxifed.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:24 pm 

You mean I spent donkey's on that links page and nobody's looked at it?

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/links.htm

Dusty :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:20 am 

Wharfie wrote:
I miss them from taxiforums.

what happened to that site?

Wharfie

I suspect they probably just didn't bother renewing the domain when it came up.

These things are generally paid for a year or two in advance, so once they're up, there's not really a lot of point in taking them down.

So you've got at least another 11 months of this site yet!!

Dusty :D