Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:00 am 

Assault cabbie gets his licence

A Stafford taxi driver with a conviction for assault has been granted a permanent licence, nine months before regulations suggest he should get back behind the wheel.

Gary Williams, who drives for Kaminski Taxis, based in Newport Road, was handed his licence for driving Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles by Stafford Borough Council's public appeals committee members after a three-month probation period.

Mr Williams was first licensed as a taxi driver in July 1998 but had it revoked in September 2001 after being convicted of using threatening, insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of provocation of violence in July 1999, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm two years later.

Appeals against the decision were dismissed by both the magistrates and crown courts. Guidelines issued to Stafford Borough Council by the Home Office suggest anyone with convictions for violence should not be granted another taxi drivers' licence for three years after their last conviction.

But this year Mr Williams was granted a temporary three month licence. Now the committee has ruled he should have his permanent taxi driver's licence back.

Stafford Borough Council's principal environmental health officer Mark Street said: "In the three months of driving we have not received any complaints and had no reason to issue penalty points or take any action disciplinary or otherwise against the applicant."

David Kaminski, owner of Kaminski Taxis, said: "I feel he has proved himself and I have been keeping a close eye on him as a supervisor."

Well that's alright then, because he hasn't knocked out anyone in the last three months, then everything is just ticker-tee-boo. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:47 pm 

I wonder exactly how Mr Kaminski is going to keep a close eye on him??

Dusty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:15 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Assault cabbie gets his licence

A Stafford taxi driver with a conviction for assault has been granted a permanent licence, nine months before regulations suggest he should get back behind the wheel.

Gary Williams, who drives for Kaminski Taxis, based in Newport Road, was handed his licence for driving Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles by Stafford Borough Council's public appeals committee members after a three-month probation period.

Mr Williams was first licensed as a taxi driver in July 1998 but had it revoked in September 2001 after being convicted of using threatening, insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of provocation of violence in July 1999, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm two years later.

Appeals against the decision were dismissed by both the magistrates and crown courts. Guidelines issued to Stafford Borough Council by the Home Office suggest anyone with convictions for violence should not be granted another taxi drivers' licence for three years after their last conviction.

But this year Mr Williams was granted a temporary three month licence. Now the committee has ruled he should have his permanent taxi driver's licence back.

Stafford Borough Council's principal environmental health officer Mark Street said: "In the three months of driving we have not received any complaints and had no reason to issue penalty points or take any action disciplinary or otherwise against the applicant."

David Kaminski, owner of Kaminski Taxis, said: "I feel he has proved himself and I have been keeping a close eye on him as a supervisor."

Well that's alright then, because he hasn't knocked out anyone in the last three months, then everything is just ticker-tee-boo. :(

Hang on a minute,

each case has to be considered on its individual merits, and those must be examined, even though its very brave of the committee, to overule the crown court.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:18 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
I wonder exactly how Mr Kaminski is going to keep a close eye on him??

Dusty

The same way we all keep a close on drivers, monitoring closely times taken keep ears to the ground.

the pressures caused to propietors by length of licensing is obviously leeding to the taking of unacceptable risks.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:40 pm 

Maybe Wharfy, but my point was that when the driver is actually doing his work then it's difficult to keep a 'close eye' on him.

In other jobs where people have close contact with the public there is less need for government involvement because the employer can keep a closer eye on the worker, but not as a cab driver, hence the need for licensing, but in this case the licensing process has obviously come up with a controversial outcome.

If Mr Kaminski really could keep a sufficiently close eye on the driver, there would be no need to license the latter.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:50 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Maybe Wharfy, but my point was that when the driver is actually doing his work then it's difficult to keep a 'close eye' on him.

In other jobs where people have close contact with the public there is less need for government involvement because the employer can keep a closer eye on the worker, but not as a cab driver, hence the need for licensing, but in this case the licensing process has obviously come up with a controversial outcome.

If Mr Kaminski really could keep a sufficiently close eye on the driver, there would be no need to license the latter.

Dusty

what we dont know is the circumstances of the conviction, and whether the driver is cabbed or not, it looks on cold print terrible, it might not be.

either way I hope for committe sake he doesnt go beserk the press will make mincemeat of them.

Wharfie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:50 pm 

Wharfie wrote:
Hang on a minute,

each case has to be considered on its individual merits, and those must be examined, even though its very brave of the committee, to overule the crown court.

Wharfie

Wharfy did you have to quote the whole blinking thing, don't forget someone has to pay for all this memory. :D :D

However your right the committee did have the evidence before them, as did the court.

My point is that just because someone is a good little boy for three months, doesn't in my view make him fit and proper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:16 am 
perhaps we shod lets the customers decide if they want to get into a thugs car. would i feel sfae my family going home in a thugs car no and why should anyone else have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:47 pm 

That's another problem with having 400 different sets of licensing conditions.

Even if the thug was banned in one area, he still might meet the fit and proper criteria in another district.

I'm afraid we are back to those nasty national conditions. If a thug is a thug in one manor, then he should be a thug in them all.

Yes even Mansfield. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:16 am 
Sussex Man wrote:

Even if the thug was banned in one area, he still might meet the fit and proper criteria in another district.

I'm afraid we are back to those nasty national conditions. If a thug is a thug in one manor, then he should be a thug in them all.

but each indivatual case has to be determined on its merits!
he might be a thug in Worthing, but magistrates in Mansfield might find him not guilty

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:58 am 

I think you are agreeing with me Wharfy. :?

When I mean national standards, I mean national laws. If a driver speeds in Worthing and gets caught by a camera, he gets 3 points and a £60.00 (I think) fine.

If he does like wise in Halifax, he receives the same penalty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:09 pm 
Wharfie wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

but each indivatual case has to be determined on its merits!
he might be a thug in Worthing, but magistrates in Mansfield might find him not guilty

Wharfie

A person can appeal at the magistrates if he thinks he's been victimised by the Council, 99.9% of the time the magistrates will go in his favour and rule against the Council. It's happend in other areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:37 am 
but not your eh? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:51 pm 
Wharfie wrote:
but not your eh? :oops:

Been there got the T-shirt and won Geoff. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:00 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
perhaps we shod lets the customers decide if they want to get into a thugs car. would i feel sfae my family going home in a thugs car no and why should anyone else have to.

Thats an idea, perhaps we should all have our criminal record on the door of the cab?