UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:09 am 

Discuss the issues here!

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:02 am 
A local authority issuing plates has to be fair and reasonable, and insistance on WAV vehicles are just that.

as for the other conditions case law says they are not fair, connecting to a 24 hour office?

like many parts it seems the very existance of premiums is actualy holding brighton back, you know members dont want to see ordinary members of thier community going tits up, and I empathise with that view, however no movement will ever be made until they take the bull by the horns.

Brighton uncovers more sentiment and emotion than common sense, and people are loath to discuss the real issues, not just Brighton but the trade in general.

The top poster of taxi and private hire forums was recently barred after discussion in a frank discussion the real issues involved.

according to the site owners, giving views that would cause offense to premium holders was infact "abuse" so how can councillors discuss real issues if its termed abusive?

its time the government acted to bring these rackets to a swift end, by ending the monopolies that were infact designed not for creating pension funds, but limiting by numbers was a way of ensuring there was enough room in council stables for horses pulling the hacknet carriages, should they be brought in after owners had left them outside places of entertainment.

by the way I found the story on taxi driver online unbelievably one sided, the disability discrimination Act, we all have a duty to provide for disabled passengers.

I found though the meek council response to be week and ineffectual.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:43 am 

Yes that make bundles of sense.

We will issue 19 plates to meet general un-met demand, but you must have a vehicle (costing up to £30,000) that there is no un-met demand for. :?

But that's alright, cos it's not the councilors who passed it paying the £30,000, it's not the officials who enforce it paying the £30,000. It's the lads who have been waiting up to 26 years that are having to pay for it. :(

So what do the lads who can't afford it do. They consider the offer of an operator, yes one of those licensed fit and proper operators, to buy there place on the list for £10,000.

What a lovely trade we work in, and some people and unions actually think this is a good managed way of doing it. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:17 pm 
I have stayed well out of this argument because I have no sympathy for those who have invested money in these 'premiums' and I believe they are far too emotive on the subject to have a reasoned discussion with. I can understand the scenario though.

As a crackpot idea what about a Council dealing with the issue of plates in a similar way as the G3 licences were issued in the telecom market.

They put them up to auction to the highest bidder. So if plates are going for 50K in your area the council decide to issue another 20 to the highest bidders. They can then use that money for better enforcement and keeping fees to all cabbies down.

That would put all licence holders on a level playing field of paying for their plates and also expands the supply slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:23 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Yes that make bundles of sense.

We will issue 19 plates to meet general un-met demand, but you must have a vehicle (costing up to £30,000) that there is no un-met demand for. :?

But that's alright, cos it's not the councilors who passed it paying the £30,000, it's not the officials who enforce it paying the £30,000. It's the lads who have been waiting up to 26 years that are having to pay for it. :(

So what do the lads who can't afford it do. They consider the offer of an operator, yes one of those licensed fit and proper operators, to buy there place on the list for £10,000.

What a lovely trade we work in, and some people and unions actually think this is a good managed way of doing it. :?

come on Andy, that is nonesense! you of all people know the law
stick to it,

a hackney is not some private hire with a different plate, if they cannot afford it then they must p[ass over opportunity, anpother problem with illegal lists.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:28 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
I have stayed well out of this argument because I have no sympathy for those who have invested money in these 'premiums' and I believe they are far too emotive on the subject to have a reasoned discussion with. I can understand the scenario though.

As a crackpot idea what about a Council dealing with the issue of plates in a similar way as the G3 licences were issued in the telecom market.

They put them up to auction to the highest bidder. So if plates are going for 50K in your area the council decide to issue another 20 to the highest bidders. They can then use that money for better enforcement and keeping fees to all cabbies down.

That would put all licence holders on a level playing field of paying for their plates and also expands the supply slowly.

yes the problem with this is that authorities would come directly involved with the monopoly they created thus for ever more would be blackmailed and dragged into court. on all sorts of grounds.

there is no easy way out, all councillors can do is thier job without fear or favour, thier job is fair policies for all in thier area.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:32 pm 

Wharfie wrote:
A local authority issuing plates has to be fair and reasonable, and insistance on WAV vehicles are just that.

as for the other conditions case law says they are not fair, connecting to a 24 hour office?

by the way I found the story on taxi driver online unbelievably one sided, the disability discrimination Act, we all have a duty to provide for disabled passengers.

As pointed out last week Wharfy, the 'story' was in fact an opinion column, so it's intended to take a view, that's why it's marked as such on the homepage.

A WAV condition may be reasonable, but the point of the piece was that to impose some conditions on some and not others is not reasonable, the accessibility issue was not the main point.

It's ironic that to alleviate one form of discrimination B&H council impose another to add to their already discriminatory policies re HC/PH.

Maybe they should have their Equality and Social Justice Committee (or whatever) have a look at things!!!

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:44 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
I

Not really so crackpot Tom, in New York (for example) they issued additional plates at the going rate and the city pocketed the proceeds. In fact I think that was mooted again recently since the city is apparently in dire straits financially.

But in principle the idea is just another tax, so if you tax the taxi trade in this way, where does it end??

Best way is to get rid of the nonsense altogether, if people knew the facts about clause 1.147c and OFT etc, then the market for plates might well have collapsed in the past year or two, ensuring that everyone had a chance to recoup their investment assuming national de-limitation in the future.

On the contrary, it seems that the market for plates has been booming in some locations, eg Manchester and Glasgow, anyone have any concrete info from there or elsewhere??

Of course, some sellers who know the score like to keep purchasers in the dark about these things, not to mention LAs.

It'll be interesting to read what the OFT has to say about such matters.

(wish I'd stop saying that about everthing!)

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:55 pm 

Wharfie wrote:
come on Andy, that is nonesense! you of all people know the law stick to it,

a hackney is not some private hire with a different plate, if they cannot afford it then they must p[ass over opportunity, anpother problem with illegal lists.

Wharfie

Of course they must be able to pay for it, but why should they have to pay for something that they will never use, and there is no demand for?

Why should those that have their plates issued by a formal (if out-dated) procedure, be worse off than those that have queued jumped the waiting list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:47 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Wharfie wrote:

As pointed out last week Wharfy, the 'story' was in fact an opinion column, so it's intended to take a view, that's why it's marked as such on the homepage.

A WAV condition may be reasonable, but the point of the piece was that to impose some conditions on some and not others is not reasonable, the accessibility issue was not the main point.

It's ironic that to alleviate one form of discrimination B&H council impose another to add to their already discriminatory policies re HC/PH.

Maybe they should have their Equality and Social Justice Committee (or whatever) have a look at things!!!

Dusty

Brighton has made an absolute cats arse of it and I know what you are saying, but I believe in change by evolution rather than revolution.

soon everbody will evolve into accessible vehicles, first things firat new plates on wavs after all whars being said? plate values in Brighton are £30,000, spend that on yer cab and get your plate! simple as that!

thats one up to the saloons that paid £30,000 and will eventually still have to buy a wav.
Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:51 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
come on Andy, that is nonesense! you of all people know the law stick to it,

Wharfie

Of course they must be able to pay for it, but why should they have to pay for something that they will never use, and there is no demand for?

Why should those that have their plates issued by a formal (if out-dated) procedure, be worse off than those that have queued jumped the waiting list?

well Andy we work from different positions you say there is no demand for wavs I say there is.

so we have different finishing points!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:42 am 

Wharfie wrote:
well Andy we work from different positions you say there is no demand for wavs I say there is.

so we have different finishing points!

Wharfie

I agree there is demand for WAVs, however it is via the phone.

Thus there should be a duty on an operator to have WAVs, whether they are PH or HC.

I just can't see how a council can commission a HC demand survey, pay for the bloody thing, and then ignore a major part of it's findings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:11 pm 

I know the bigger cities are different, but I can honestly say that I've never in five years seen a person in a wheelchair getting into a taxi in the town that I work in.

So if there's no street demand for wheelchair users who can use a saloon (ie the majority) is there likely to be much for blanket WAVs???

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:39 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
I know the bigger cities are different, but I can honestly say that I've never in five years seen a person in a wheelchair getting into a taxi in the town that I work in.

So if there's no street demand for wheelchair users who can use a saloon (ie the majority) is there likely to be much for blanket WAVs???

Dusty

speaking strictly as a rural man we often pick up in the street, and there is lots of work.

some taxidrivers of course suffer dissabilities, selective blindness they dont see the faggers sitting in wheelchairs.

yes there is a demand for wavs and it aint all phone by a long chalkj

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:18 pm 

There's not much flag work in my manor Wharfy, it's not a big enough town.

But I've never seen a wheelchair at a rank, and I should know since I only work the ranks.

I'm not saying there's no demand at all, but it's statistically negligible.

Dusty