UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: driver assulted
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:15 pm 

TAXI BOSS OFFERS BOUNTY FOR THUGS

JAYNE FREER CRIME REPORTER

12:00 - 22 October 2003

The boss of a city taxi firm has offered a £2,000 reward to catch two men who assaulted one of his drivers. The 48-year-old victim, who does not want to be identified, was hit on the back of the head and repeatedly kicked in the groin and punched while on the ground.

The attack happened as he collected a fare in Western Approach at about 1.30am on Sunday morning.

The cash reward will be made by Taxifast to anyone giving police information which leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.

The cabbie, who has driven taxis in the city for more than 20 years without incident, today described the assault, which left him extremely shaken.

He had pulled up outside Toys R Us to collect a female passenger when a man approached him.

He said: "The next thing I knew he had ripped the roof sign off the top of the car and smashed it on the pavement.

"I went down on the floor and then I was kicked about three times and punched four to five times."

The attackers then stole the keys to his dark blue Peugeot 406 taxi before fleeing.

The driver was left badly bruised and is due to see a doctor for a check-up today.

Although the incident shook him up, he says he is determined to get back out on the streets and continue his job.

"I won't know until a busy Saturday night how I am going to feel," he added.

John Preece, managing director of Taxifast, branded it a 'cowardly attack and robbery' and pledged to help the police by offering the reward.

He added: "Taxifast will put all of its resources behind bringing anyone to justice who assaults or harms any taxi driver in this city.

"Taxis are a major part of the public transport system here in Plymouth and we all have a duty to ensure the protection and preservation of all these taxi services."

He believes someone knows the identity of the two attackers and urged them to contact the police.

"Nothing would please me more than to be able to pay out the £2,000 to the person or persons prepared to help secure justice in this matter.

"Plymouth has become increasingly more violent over the years and the vast majority of Plymouth people and the taxi trade in particular, who often see it, want it stamped out.

"There is no other way than through the lawful process and it is in everyone's interest to rid ourselves of such offenders by providing the police with the necessary evidence to do so."

Mr Preece said that the last time Taxifast offered such a reward was three years ago when an independent, female cabbie had a screwdriver pushed through her cheek.

"No-one was caught for that terrible offence but I am hopeful this time as there is more tangible information already being received," he added.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the police on 08452 777444, quoting EC/03/10971 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

that Toys 'R' Us bus bay is one of those punter pick up points we use as mentioned in another post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:36 pm 
Not a very nice story. :(
Reminds me of a story in my area about 3 or 4 years ago.
One of the lads got slashed in the neck. Put him off work for about 6 months through the injury and 2 years through nerves and stress.
Again not a very nice story. :( :(

Now onto the reward. :(
The big operators seeing the headlines in the papers and thinking that all this bad news would put off drivers from working nights decided to put some money together to hire a brief to do PR work with the press to put a spin on the bad news and stop any decline in new drivers.
These same operators when approached by the drivers unions and association to put into a reward pot told them to f**k off.
Once again not a very nice story. :( :( :(