Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:11 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Yes. :?

If PH became incognito, then I suppose we would go back to arguing about foriegn Taxis picking up in "our" area. Just like the good old days.

Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.



no Andy they cannot, they are licensed for thier region and they can cross boundaries for only 15 miles and only then if they start a new route on the boundary.

as someone who lives by a bus regional boundary we get this all the time
First Manchester can manage to get a bus into our station on these rules Alas First calderdale cannot get a bus into Manchester station

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 43923
Location: 1066 Country
Andy7 wrote:
Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.


Well I'm up for that Andy7.

As soon as I get my HC Skoda, up to the West End of the smoke, or Heathrow I shall go. :D :D :D :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:09 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: Miles away from paradise, not far from hell.
I'm led to believe that touting is to become a recordable offense (I can't work out why it isn't now :? ), so perhaps those that try it on and give others a poxy name, will have to think twice.

And if they don't, well bang them up.

Alex


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Yes. :?

If PH became incognito, then I suppose we would go back to arguing about foriegn Taxis picking up in "our" area. Just like the good old days.

Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.



no Andy they cannot, they are licensed for thier region and they can cross boundaries for only 15 miles and only then if they start a new route on the boundary.

as someone who lives by a bus regional boundary we get this all the time
First Manchester can manage to get a bus into our station on these rules Alas First calderdale cannot get a bus into Manchester station

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie


Wow Wharfie, your rules up there are totally different to ours!

If we want to start a bus route, we just register it then start operating it. There is no such thing as a 15 mile rule around here.

While we can operate a route into London, we cant operate "within" London, so-to-speak. As such, I presume you are in a PTA area?

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:10 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Yes. :?

If PH became incognito, then I suppose we would go back to arguing about foriegn Taxis picking up in "our" area. Just like the good old days.

Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.



no Andy they cannot, they are licensed for thier region and they can cross boundaries for only 15 miles and only then if they start a new route on the boundary.

as someone who lives by a bus regional boundary we get this all the time
First Manchester can manage to get a bus into our station on these rules Alas First calderdale cannot get a bus into Manchester station

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie


Wow Wharfie, your rules up there are totally different to ours!

If we want to start a bus route, we just register it then start operating it. There is no such thing as a 15 mile rule around here.

While we can operate a route into London, we cant operate "within" London, so-to-speak. As such, I presume you are in a PTA area?


its in the 85 transport act matey, the bus must be registered with the traffic commission only for thier region then you run the route not more than 15 miles but when thats up you can run another route and so on.

but when you hit a commissioners boundary thats it or at least another 15 miles. if you do the cps you are told this and do excersises on 15 miles it beccomes a ball ache.

perhaps Andy youve never studied this living in the centre of a region its never been your concern?

but take it from me cross boundary is very thorney.

incidentaly the coaches are something else they aint busses but excersions.

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:37 am 
Wharfie wrote:
Alex wrote:
Cruisin' Cabby wrote:
The regulations are being set down in London to make all licensed LPH vehicles easily identifiable
Cruisin' Cabby


What easy identification do you think the Cab trade will accept Cruisin?

Perhaps a ten foot high sign with the words 'TOUT' on. :wink:

Alex


another one taking the [edited by admin].

Wharfie


Of course they are taking the [edited by admin] Wharfie.
The more Cruisin puts a point that confounds them the more will come these sorts of replies, then will come the abuse.

You remeber the old forums. This was the form.

Claude :evil:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Yes. :?

If PH became incognito, then I suppose we would go back to arguing about foriegn Taxis picking up in "our" area. Just like the good old days.

Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.



no Andy they cannot, they are licensed for thier region and they can cross boundaries for only 15 miles and only then if they start a new route on the boundary.

as someone who lives by a bus regional boundary we get this all the time
First Manchester can manage to get a bus into our station on these rules Alas First calderdale cannot get a bus into Manchester station

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie


Wow Wharfie, your rules up there are totally different to ours!

If we want to start a bus route, we just register it then start operating it. There is no such thing as a 15 mile rule around here.

While we can operate a route into London, we cant operate "within" London, so-to-speak. As such, I presume you are in a PTA area?


its in the 85 transport act matey, the bus must be registered with the traffic commission only for thier region then you run the route not more than 15 miles but when thats up you can run another route and so on.

but when you hit a commissioners boundary thats it or at least another 15 miles. if you do the cps you are told this and do excersises on 15 miles it beccomes a ball ache.

perhaps Andy youve never studied this living in the centre of a region its never been your concern?

but take it from me cross boundary is very thorney.

incidentaly the coaches are something else they aint busses but excersions.

Wharfie


Aha, yes. I see now exactly what you mean Wharfie. You are indeed correct in that the London example I gave is a "coach or express bus" service as it doesnt have multiple stopping places outside our area when heading into london, and again, as you suggest, other than London-bound we can go nearly 150 miles before we get into another region. The truth is, the only boundary we have ever crossed is London.

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:09 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: Miles away from paradise, not far from hell.
Where do you operate from then Andy7, Siberia? :D

Alex


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Alex wrote:
Where do you operate from then Andy7, Siberia? :D

Alex


Mid Essex, Alex. Not quite Siberia. But our LA is Cambridge, and the Eatern Traffic area goes right up to the Midlands and beyond up the East Coast. Eastern Traffic is a big boundary free area. Totally unlike where Wharfie is with his Metropolitan districts and PTAs and LA boundaries all crossing each other, and, apparently tripping over each other, too.

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Anyone read the article in CTN about TfL's possible U-turn??

The T&G don't seem too impressed by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) report which said that U-turns were dangerous.

The author makes a big noise about the fact that the TRL report shows that only 4.6% of cabs were involved in U-turn accidents, as compared to 9.4% involved in right turn accidents.

But how many right turns does a cab do compared to U-turns? They will probably do a maximum of one U-turn per trip, as compared to several right turns, let's say five per trip??

Even if half of all journeys involved a U-turn, then for each U-turn peformed the driver will do around 10 right turns.

So if right turns were to be as dangerous as U-turns almost 50% of all cabs would have to be involved in right turn accidents, as compared to the quoted figure of less than 10%.

Dusty :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
The CTN report also states:

"Observations by a GPS satellite, that only worked part-time and apparently kept breaking down, came to the unbelievable conclusion that a London cab driver does a U-turn only once in every four days. This has brought forth hoots of derision from the trade."

Not quite.

Cab Direct's press release announcing legal action against TfL said:

The TRL...survey...found that the taxi driver made use of a tight turning circle (ie more than 80% of the available steering lock) approximately once every four days.

Not quite the same, is it? No wonder there's 'hoots of derision' from the trade.

Dusty :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:09 am 
Jesus! I think they should ban right turns if they are that dangerous!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 43923
Location: 1066 Country
Dusty Bin wrote:
Anyone read the article in CTN about TfL's possible U-turn which said that U-turns were dangerous.


But why should the T&G allow the truth to get in the way of a good story (or maybe not), in CTN.

U-turns are dangerous, ask anyone with a brain, or the insurance companies. The only ones promoting them, are those that should be protecting us.

But don't. :( :(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group