Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:48 pm 

From my limited experience, I find punters whinge about a fare increase for a couple of weeks, but after that they are just delighted to get a taxi after midnight and pay what is displayed on the meter.

When you have 99.9% of the trade moaning about council's restricting fares you, with that finger on the pulse, visionary zeal of yours realise that councils want you to charge more to put you out of business.

Pure genius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:27 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:
From my limited experience, I find punters whinge about a fare increase for a couple of weeks, but after that they are just delighted to get a taxi after midnight and pay what is displayed on the meter.

When you have 99.9% of the trade moaning about council's restricting fares you, with that finger on the pulse, visionary zeal of yours realise that councils want you to charge more to put you out of business.

Pure genius.

Genius now am I? :D :D It gets better. Right you have little knowledge of the Taxi trade in Mansfield and how people work in Mansfield. The Councils proposed fares will double if they have their way, this will lead to confrontations between drivers and passsengers, it happens every weekend in Mansfield the cars have the dents to prove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:17 am 

Yes, its a funny world, especially in Mansfield.

Red Ken bumped the fares up in London during the evening saying he wanted to encourage more licensed taxis to work at that time of the day.

Was he lying, was he trying to get more folks using buses?

Clearly there seems a problem in Mansfield late at night, especially I would imagine that big pub that was the station. From your postings on here the council have come up with more proposals in the last year than mine have made in 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:34 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:

From your postings on here the council have come up with more proposals in the last year than mine have made in 10 years.

And all of them have failed. The head of licensing should stick to what he knows best, selling sofas and beds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:43 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:

Red Ken bumped the fares up in London during the evening saying he wanted to encourage more licensed taxis to work at that time of the day.

Clearly there seems a problem in Mansfield late at night, especially I would imagine that big pub that was the station. From your postings on here the council have come up with more proposals in the last year than mine have made in 10 years.

NO HE WAS TRYING TO GET MORE TAXIS OUT AT THAT TIME OF DAY.

and he offered a higher tarriff as an inducement, he did not rise the fares without the taxi board approval.

Nigel you and Mick are very powerful people in your areas and thats why the system does not work.

you wont let it dont blame your hapless council.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:43 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:

NO HE WAS TRYING TO GET MORE TAXIS OUT AT THAT TIME OF DAY.

and he offered a higher tarriff as an inducement, he did not rise the fares without the taxi board approval.

Nigel you and Mick are very powerful people in your areas and thats why the system does not work.

you wont let it dont blame your hapless council.

98% of the drivers rejected it BONE HEAD. Bringing the increases in will boost the nightime drivers by a grand total of 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:19 pm 

98% and howe scientific a survey was that then Nidge.

98% of the taxi drivers rejected a substantial increase in fares offered by the council. Surprised that didn't make the nationals.

Perhaps the council should introduce an IQ test for applicants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:35 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
98% and howe scientific a survey was that then Nidge.

98% of the taxi drivers rejected a substantial increase in fares offered by the council. Surprised that didn't make the nationals.

Perhaps the council should introduce an IQ test for applicants.

there would be no taxis at all then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:44 pm 

The bit I can't quite work out is why the council wish to put up fares, if no-one in the trade, and I'm assumming customers, want.

Perhaps the best idea is to simply refuse to up-grade your meter, and if the council cause a stink about it, then report them to the OFT.

I'm quite sure the Mansfield branch of the T&G will get a fair hearing from them. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:05 pm 
Sussex wrote:
The bit I can't quite work out is why the council wish to put up fares, if no-one in the trade, and I'm assumming customers, want.

Perhaps the best idea is to simply refuse to up-grade your meter, and if the council cause a stink about it, then report them to the OFT.

I'm quite sure the Mansfield branch of the T&G will get a fair hearing from them. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

like anything Nigel says it neads research and I cannot be bothered

wonder if John is too busy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:23 pm 
Sussex wrote:

Andy, we do want a increase but not the one the Council want us to have. We wanted 30p on the kick up 10p on waiting time that was it nothing on the mileage till next year. The Council h ave come up with this bright idea that if they increase it 2 fold more drivers will come out. Many drivers have said that if they bring this increase in they will not work nights because of all the trouble it will cause. That's it basically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:42 am 

I think the best bet is to alow the council to raise the tariff to whatever, then just get the meter chaps to set the rate at what the drivers want.

Provided it's lower than the council rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:20 pm 
Sussex wrote:
I think the best bet is to alow the council to raise the tariff to whatever, then just get the meter chaps to set the rate at what the drivers want.

lol sussex you can't do that. Each meter is tested for yardage after it has been re calibrated. If the meter is not accurate then you won't be allowed
to use the vehicle until it is.

It is becoming common place now for councils to increase night fares in order to get more cabs out. However, if you have a serious deficiency in numbers, increasing the night rate isn't going to have much impact. If a council thinks it needs more cabs there is only one logical process. In this case Mansfield already has a deregulated numbers structure so I suppose the council is minded to try incentives.

I can't comment on whether those incentives are too high or unwelcome but I would have thought the council would have done its home work and researched this increase, before coming up with a figure of three pounds.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the council are putting up fares to drive Taxi drivers out of business. In fact I would go as far to say that the suggestion is ludicrous.

The council in its wisdom should have consulted the trade before reaching its decision but then again we have no way of knowing if it did or it didn't.

Nigel was complaining several weeks ago that he wasn't making any money in Mansfield; perhaps this extra tariff may bring about a change in his fortunes.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:11 pm 
John Davies wrote:
Sussex wrote:

lol sussex you can't do that. Each meter is tested for yardage after it has been re calibrated. If the meter is not accurate then you won't be allowed
to use the vehicle until it is.

It is becoming common place now for councils to increase night fares in order to get more cabs out. However, if you have a serious deficiency in numbers, increasing the night rate isn't going to have much impact. If a council thinks it needs more cabs there is only one logical process. In this case Mansfield already has a deregulated numbers structure so I suppose the council is minded to try incentives.

I can't comment on whether those incentives are too high or unwelcome but I would have thought the council would have done its home work and researched this increase, before coming up with a figure of three pounds.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the council are putting up fares to drive Taxi drivers out of business. In fact I would go as far to say that the suggestion is ludicrous.

The council in its wisdom should have consulted the trade before reaching its decision but then again we have no way of knowing if it did or it didn't.

Nigel was complaining several weeks ago that he wasn't making any money in Mansfield; perhaps this extra tariff may bring about a change in his fortunes.

Best wishes

JD

John, the Council decided behind our backs to increase the fares to £3.00 kick up, as I said we wanted a modest 30p on top of every job plus 20p waiting time. Try charging £3.00 kick up in Mansfield you'll have no car left by the end of the night. We all voted against the Councils increase well 98% of us did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:13 pm 
Sussex wrote:

It can be done because ours are calendar and timed controlled meters, if we set it at £2.00 kick up when the motor is tested it will only show tariff 1 and not tariff 2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next