Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Good job or greedy ***t?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm 
DAD'S £700 TAXI RIDE TO SEE HIS SON

A NORTH-east Scotland taxi driver scooped the biggest taxi fare of his life when he had to take a worried dad to his injured son's bedside - in England.

Darren Whitaker was working in Stonehaven repairing dry-cleaning machines when he found out his 10-year-old son had been rushed to hospital in Birmingham after being struck by a car.

He immediately called Stonehaven taxi-firm director Derek Sedge.

And the 47-year-old driver agreed a fee of £700 with Mr Whitaker's employers, TES Fibermatic, to take the 32-year-old more than 440 miles to his home town of Pershore, Worcestershire. Mr Sedge said: "Like any father would be, he was very worried"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:00 pm 
a good job! yes but to put it in the local paper is a bit silly( you never know who reads it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:51 am 
redd wrote:
a good job! yes but to put it in the local paper is a bit silly( you never know who reads it)

yes a good job not greed, firm pays tax deductable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:07 am 

How can anyone say this is not greedy 440 miles for £700 thats way over priced I would have done the job for arounf £400 and still thought i was doing well. How can they justify charging more than a pound a mile for long distance work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:23 pm 

my card price would be £880!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:29 pm 
diesel wrote:
my card price would be £880!

DIESEL,YOU GREEDY BITCH,i WOULD HAVE CHARGED £528-00p

Petrol,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:36 pm 
Barnsley wrote:
How can anyone say this is not greedy 440 miles for £700 thats way over priced I would have done the job for arounf £400 and still thought i was doing well. How can they justify charging more than a pound a mile for long distance work.

Barnsley

come on laddie your council spends more on Education than that!
440 miles there and 440 miles back for 700 equals 80p per mile and includes lunch break and possibly overnight stay.

700 is a fair price.

400 would give a mere 45 pence thats rhidiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:38 pm 
Barnsley wrote:

Long distance,short distance,same difference.
You put a price on the job,that gives you a living.

What happens if it is a double shifted vehicle?
What happens if you start the job before the first shift and not finished in time for the second shift.
Fuel,food,rest,wear and tear.
£500 a fair fare.

Notgreedyemno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:11 pm 

Guest wrote:
Barnsley

440 miles there and 440 miles back for 700 equals 80p per mile and includes lunch break and possibly overnight stay.

700 is a fair price.

Maybe we under charge round here but we often do long distance work for the NHS and we charge 35p per mile on a round trip basis.

Also we do Barnsley to Manchester airport which is a round trip of 100 miles for £35.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:35 pm 
Barnsley wrote:
Guest wrote:
Barnsley

700 is a fair price.

Maybe we under charge round here but we often do long distance work for the NHS and we charge 35p per mile on a round trip basis.

Also we do Barnsley to Manchester airport which is a round trip of 100 miles for £35.

more fool you, we charge £100 to m/chester airport from york, you can only just get to leeds bradford for £35 from here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:01 pm 
it doesnt matter if its 40 miles or 400 miles, the price is still £1.50 per mile!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:01 pm 
So I imagine you don't do many airport runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:45 pm 
Barnsley wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
Barnsley

700 is a fair price.

more fool you, we charge £100 to m/chester airport from york, you can only just get to leeds bradford for £35 from here

Barnsley
that is self exploitation on a grand scale I am 30 miles nearer Manchester airport than you and charge £42

its not your job to provide a car to run other people about for expenses quite frankly your local councillor gets more per mile for running thier car than you do.

if the rewards are as bad as that you would be better off on the dole

its not your job to finance the nhs on your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:29 am 
i get plenty of airport runs pal! and at the full rate! if a customer wants a deal then i knock off as little as possible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:50 pm 
redd wrote:
i get plenty of airport runs pal! and at the full rate! if a customer wants a deal then i knock off as little as possible!

what does that mean an arm or a leg?