Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:42 pm 

Guest wrote:
Barnsley
that is self exploitation on a grand scale I am 30 miles nearer Manchester airport than you and charge £42

its not your job to provide a car to run other people about for expenses quite frankly your local councillor gets more per mile for running thier car than you do.

if the rewards are as bad as that you would be better off on the dole

its not your job to finance the nhs on your own.

Don't have a lot of choice over doing this work as the firm I hire my radio off get free phones in the hospital on the grounds we do there account work cheap. Obviously we therefore get a lot of work from the people ringing in on way home from visting. with regards the airports good knows why there so cheap but thats the going rate for all firms in barnsley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:47 pm 

Barnsley wrote:
Barnsley
that is self exploitation on a grand scale I am 30 miles nearer Manchester airport than you and charge £42

its not your job to provide a car to run other people about for expenses quite frankly your local councillor gets more per mile for running thier car than you do.

Don't have a lot of choice over doing this work as the firm I hire my radio off get free phones in the hospital on the grounds we do there account work cheap. Obviously we therefore get a lot of work from the people ringing in on way home from visting. All the best work of course going to the drivers who are giving the operators some backside kissing who also of course never get account work. with regards the airports god knows why there so cheap but thats the going rate for all firms in barnsley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:54 pm 
Barnsley wrote:
Guest wrote:
Barnsley

Don't have a lot of choice over doing this work as the firm I hire my radio off get free phones in the hospital on the grounds we do there account work cheap. Obviously we therefore get a lot of work from the people ringing in on way home from visting. with regards the airports good knows why there so cheap but thats the going rate for all firms in barnsley.

work out how much you earn and how many hours you do

could you catch a train to Halifax?

maybe I can offer a much better deal working for me

Nige has said but cannot substansiate it that I take money out of drivers pockets

fact
all my drivers get more than Nige says they earn in Mansfield, thats owner drivers, 2.5 times more than mick says they earn in Gatehead.

I wont give you a job priced bellow meter, except for small discount on man air but they return on average £7.10 per hour for the driver all expenses paid.

all fixed price jobs will be above meter, if you get on with it

my drivers have shorter hours and better pay/ fact

but

they have to follow disciplie.but we have fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:17 pm 

Please, please, please and a thousand times please check your posts before you send them. Especially if you quote another posters views.

It looks horrid if the quotes are in the wrong place. And some soppy sod has to sort them out. :roll:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:25 pm 
Alex wrote:
Please, please, please and a thousand times please check your posts before you send them. Especially if you quote another posters views.

It looks horrid if the quotes are in the wrong place. And some soppy sod has to sort them out. :roll:

Alex

its your end thats not boxing quotes.
they are not rewritten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 am 
Barnsley wrote:
Guest wrote:
Barnsley

Barnsley

I phoned one of your council officers todayhe told me where councillors or officers use thier own cars they get the following rates.

remember that they get salary on top this is just for looking after thier cars
they dont have expensive taxi insurance licensing or maintainance costs we do.

451cc-999cc 36.4p per mile
1000cc -1100 cc 40.2 per mile
1200cc-1450cc 49.9 per mile
+ 3p per mile for 1 passenger
+2p per mile for each other passenger

so a Barsley officer going to Manchester airport on buisness in his own car would get assuming its 1200cc 49.90 there and of course 49.90 back

and you do it for £32 to make a living?

come on Barnsley!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:34 am 
So why would the council officer get £49.90 each way if the round trip is one hundred miles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:45 pm 

Know what your saying mate but what can be done when all the other Private hire fleets are charging between £30 and £35 to manchester airport some even quote as low as £60 return.

Bet if you rung a few firms in barnsley you would not believe the prices you get quoted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:44 pm 
Barnsley wrote:
Know what your saying mate but what can be done when all the other Private hire fleets are charging between £30 and £35 to manchester airport some even quote as low as £60 return.

Bet if you rung a few firms in barnsley you would not believe the prices you get quoted.

we had a buisnessman here in computers, and he used to get us once a week but he said he could no longer as his firm had got an account with a barnsley firm I thought nothing of it at the time.

South Yorkshire used to have the cheapest buses in the country, and its obvously a kick back from those days, but is a Manchester Airport worth doing at those prices?

I know that because of fuel etc we are reviewing our prices, it seems to me that everybody has been competing so much now nobody makes anything including a living and you all need to do what first drivers did.

down tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:22 pm 

The problem is its a catch 22 , if i decide i am not going to put up with the prices the firm i work for charge i will have to go franchise my car else were which means more than likely the new firm will charge the same to stay competative. the only other way is to start up my own firm and be run out of business by the others who are working for next to nothing.

I must admit that in general the taxis fares around here are not too bad £2.50 1st mile pound thereafter. £3.00 after midnight 1st mile. Out of town add 50p and out of town by more than 5 mile drop off and pick up add £4.00 to orginal price.

The problem seems to start with airports which i believe end up so cheap from the number of unlicensed taxis the councils seems unwilling to crack down on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:27 pm 
Barnsley,
Putting aside the mileage, you cannot do the round trip in less than 3 hours. If you add in waiting time at the airport plus any additional parking charges it is no wonder that many of your drivers leave passengers stranded.
We then have the problem of trying to explain how we arrive at our price which to them seems like daylight robbery. I always thought you were the hard nosed business men on your side of the hill!!! Get those prices up to a realistic level and earn a decent living.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:30 pm 

Ged May wrote:
Barnsley,
Putting aside the mileage, you cannot do the round trip in less than 3 hours. If you add in waiting time at the airport plus any additional parking charges it is no wonder that many of your drivers leave passengers stranded.
We then have the problem of trying to explain how we arrive at our price which to them seems like daylight robbery. I always thought you were the hard nosed business men on your side of the hill!!! Get those prices up to a realistic level and earn a decent living.
Ged

In my last post i point out the reason why rasing the price is not so simple.

If you can give me an answer of how i can raise my price but still not be priced out of the market I would be glad to hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:43 pm 
Barnsley,
Sorry mate my post was being put on while you were typing yours. I can see that you have a big problem.
How many drivers on your system? can they be trusted to stand together and say enough is enough? refuse airports and stick to local work if that is better paid. Canvass as many drivers as you know from other firms and try and get a little bit of solidarity to get a FAIR rate for the job.
Can you refuse or are you made to do them?
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:49 pm 

This situation happens throughout the country; someone will always undercut you on airport work.

You have two choices, you either take the cheap work, or you carry on working your local manor. I have always blanked silly cheap work, but never criticise others who go for it. Because I don't pay their mortgage.

The worst thing I find is when other areas, with lower levels of vehicle and driver standards, come into your manor and under-cut to silly prices.

But hey, aren't I the one who's for 'market forces'. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:50 pm 

Ged May wrote:
Barnsley,
Sorry mate my post was being put on while you were typing yours. I can see that you have a big problem.
How many drivers on your system? can they be trusted to stand together and say enough is enough? refuse airports and stick to local work if that is better paid. Canvass as many drivers as you know from other firms and try and get a little bit of solidarity to get a FAIR rate for the job.
Can you refuse or are you made to do them?
Ged

135 drivers on our system we have tried making them stand together before but its never worked. It might be about time we try again though.

We can refuse the airports in some cases e.g near ned of shift etc but the account work never.