Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxi Drivers Medicals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:53 am 
Private / Public Taxi Driver Medicals for £70.00

Rehab for the Workplace would like to offer you the opportunity to get a private fit for work medical assessment. The medical assessment will let you know any changes you may have to make to accommodate your work and if you have any unidentified problems.

The assessment will consist of:

• Medical questionnaire
• Eyesight test
• Hearing test
• Blood Pressure
• Pulse
• Weight
• Cholesterol
• Urine analysis

You will be provided with a full report after your medical assessment declaring the results of any test’s carried out.

To book your appointment please contact Michelle on
Tel: 0141- 204-1555

Rehab for the Workplace
10 Fitzroy Place, (Sauchiehall Street) Glasgow, G3 7RW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:09 pm 
My doctor does it FOC

Chancer

Post subject: Private Medicals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:31 pm 
Chancer?

It is a legal requirments to have such medicals carried out by a Qualified Occupational Health Doctor or Nurse not a GP

Post subject: Private Medicals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:36 pm 
I have had a medical of this company and I have to say it was top quality it last an hour and it turns out I had a few problems. I had previously spent 15 minutes with my GP as I did every year who failed to notice these problems.

I have to agree it is worth the money to have a qualified Occupational health nurse doing a medical rather than a GP. I would highly recommend this service and any one daft enough to use there GP should seek medical attention.

Cheers

Big John

Post subject: Re: Private Medicals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:35 pm 
John Smith wrote:
I have had a medical of this company and I have to say it was top quality it last an hour and it turns out I had a few problems. I had previously spent 15 minutes with my GP as I did every year who failed to notice these problems.

I have to agree it is worth the money to have a qualified Occupational health nurse doing a medical rather than a GP. I would highly recommend this service and any one daft enough to use there GP should seek medical attention.

Cheers

Big John
So you are employed by this company then?
You do not,repeat do not have to go to a Occupational Health Nurse for this,your GP is adequate,repeat adequate.

Healthy Chancer. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:08 pm 
TAXI DRIVER’S GUIDANCE NOTES

Before lodging your application for a taxi driver’s licence please ensure that you have read the following guidance notes.

1. Before lodging an application for the grant of a taxi driver’s licence you are required to have passed a topographical test of knowledge which will test your knowledge of the Glasgow area as set by the Licensing Authority. You will also require to have held a Full Driving Licence as issued by DVLA Swansea for a full year, and be at least 21 years of age.

You are required to lodge your application for the grant of a taxi driver’s licence within 28 days of passing the topographical test.

Should your licence have lapsed by more than a year, you will require to sit and pass the topographical test again before lodging an application for the grant of a licence.

2. In order to avoid your Licence lapsing you should ensure that you make your application for renewal of a licence well in advance of the expiry date. This is particularly important if your licence expires on a date such as the 31st December or any other date that coincides with a public holiday. A note of Council holidays may be obtained from the Licensing Authority and are on display at the Licensing Section’s office.

The renewal of a licence may be applied for no more than 6 months in advance of and not later than the expiry date of the licence.

You should note that applications for renewal must be for a minimum period of two years.

3. The lodging fees for applications are payable when the application is lodged and are as follows (correct as at 01/04/02):-

Applications for licence valid for: 1Year/Temporary 2 Years 3 Years
£55 £99 £134

Payment can be made by way of cash, cheque (in applicant’s name only) or postal order.

These fees are non-refundable. A temporary licence may be issued for a period not exceeding 6 weeks.

4. This form should be lodged at the Licensing Section, Room 29, 235 George Street, Glasgow, G1, together with the appropriate fee, one recent passport size photograph of the type obtained from automatic photo booths, and your current driving licence. If this is of the photocard type, then both the photocard and paper counterpart are required.

5. Only the applicant may amend the application form. No amendments may be made once the form is lodged.

6. Whilst processing the application, the Licensing Section will consult with Strathclyde Police.

7. If granted, a taxi driver’s licence entitles you to drive both taxis and private hire cars licensed with this Authority.

8. /…

- 2 -

8. Your attention is drawn to the following current policy of the Licensing Committee regarding taxi drivers:-

you may be required to undergo and pass a medical examination to determine that you are fit to drive a taxi to Group 2 standards of the Medical Aspects of Fitness to Drive booklet as published by the Medical Commission on Accident Prevention.[/b][/b][/b][/b][/u]9. Your attention is drawn to the enclosed standard conditions usually attached to a taxi driver’s licence.

10. The Licensing Committee may attach additional conditions to the Licence as it sees fit, with each application being dealt with on its merits.

11. Your attention is drawn to the attached voluntary dress code, which has been approved by the Licensing Committee.

12. If you receive a letter advising you to attend a meeting of the Licensing Committee or any of its Sub-committees, you should note that, while you are not legally required to attend such a meeting, if you do not attend, the Committee or Sub-committee may make a decision in your absence, and that your failure to attend may subsequently have an adverse effect on your right to appeal against such a decision.

13. In the event of an application for grant or renewal of a licence being refused or of a licence being suspended by the Licensing Committee or its appropriate Sub-committee, a written statement of reasons for the decision may be obtained on a written request for reasons being made to the Licensing Section, Room 29, 235 George Street, Glasgow, G1 within 28 days of the decision. The Licensing Authority will give written reasons for its decision within 10 days of being requested to do so.

14. If you intend to appeal against the Licensing Authority’s decision you will normally require to first obtain a Statement of Reasons. Thereafter, your appeal requires to be made to the Sheriff Court. If you wish guidance in making an Appeal you should either contact your own Solicitor if you have not already done so by that stage or you may contact the Sheriff Clerk, Sheriff Court House, 1 Carlton Place, Glasgow, G5 9DA.

15. In order to avoid being the subject of a complaint which could lead to your licence being suspended, you should ensure that you:-

• take care to read and abide by the Licence conditions;
• that you arrange and attend any medical examinations when required to do so;
• that you respond to all correspondence from the Licensing Authority promptly; and
• that you attend at the Licensing Office to be photographed and collect your badge on the date and at the time arranged.

16. If you are unclear about any of the above please do not hesitate to ask a member of the Licensing Section’s staff for assistance or clarification. Telephone No. 0141 - 287 - 4811.

Hours of business, subject to public holidays:-

Monday to Friday - 8.30am to 5pm (Monetary transactions cease at 4.30pm)

The office is also closed for staff training on Tuesday mornings until 10am.

Anonymous wrote:
Guest wrote:
Chancer?

It is a legal requirments to have such medicals carried out by a Qualified Occupational Health Doctor or Nurse not a GP

Chancer,s mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:18 pm 
Mr Smith!Dah,GP medical is suffice.

Chancer+Chancer,s Mate+Chancer,s mate,s wife,+his GP. :shock: :shock: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:20 pm 
I quote it is not a legal requirement for an Occupational Health Doctor or Nurse to carry out such medicals. Our company offers you the opportunity to go private and receive a medical from a qualified Occupational Health Doctor.

As the law now states all taxi drivers must receive a medical before been granted a taxi licence http://www.dvla.gov.uk/at_a_glance/AAG2004feb.pdf I would recommend you receive such a medical, it just a question of what you prefer and if your, GP will carry out this medical to the DVLA’S speck. I.E will your GP carry out a Eye test or a Audiogram? The choice is down to the individual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:25 pm 
Thank you for your clarification,my doctor does adhere to this and I have this check once a year through the Wellman clinic that he has at his surgery.
All the regions that I know of when requiring a taxi badge,require a medical as well.
Good idea that your company has homed into this and gives this service to the individual.
May be a time when the taxi fraternity may have to have a medical every
five years or so.

Regards,
Chancer on his own

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:45 pm 

John Smith wrote:

What I like about the service they gave you John was the fact they allowed you to send that post on the same computer as the first post on this thread.

Maybe they operate out of an Internet Cafe. :roll: :roll:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:15 pm 

Rehab for the workplace wrote:
As the law now states all taxi drivers must receive a medical before been granted a taxi licence.

I wonder how we got by without info such as this. :?

Thankfully most of us know that it's been the law for the last 28 years, and adopted by many councils for over a hundred years. :shock:

1976 Miss Provisions Act Sec 57
Power to require applicants to submit information
(1) A district council may require any applicant for a licence under the Act of 1847 or under this Part of this Act to submit to them such information as they may reasonably consider necessary to enable them to determine whether the licence should be granted and whether conditions should be attached to any such licence.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing subsection —
(a) a district may require an applicant for a driver's licence in respect of a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle —
(i) to produce a certificate signed by a registered medical practitioner to the effect that he is physically fit to be the driver of a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle; and
(ii) whether or not such a certificate has been produced, to submit to examination by a registered medical practitioner selected by the district council as to his physical fitness to be the driver of a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:54 pm 
Do I have to go to Glasgow for the medical?

Post subject: Medicals
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:15 am 
No we offer medicals throughout the uk, any questions ring Michelle on 0141 204 1555 and we will be able to advise you if we can provide a medical in your area

Nidge wrote:
Do I have to go to Glasgow for the medical?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:49 am 
Just to proove that we are not the only trade to suffer from the likes of this lot.

doctors are as well ,the medicals are way over priced offer poor value for money mainly cos these tykes get a rake off

now just watch Alex the gaurdian of the ad men wipe this from the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:25 pm 

They may well try Geoff, but it's a lot easier for me to click the delete button, then those plying their wares typing post after post.

As has happened in the other section. :wink:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk