Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie,

From the sounds of it you were aware your LA had this surplus.

I know £250K is chickenfeed to a mere Brummie cab driver.....but the question is if you all knew this, why havent you or those reps of yours been creating a rather large smell about it?

Because a £250,000 surplus works out at approximately £17.92p per licence, which is absolutely zilch in the scheme of things.

1400 Hackney Vehicles (x £95) + 1550 Hackney Drivers (x £86) + 5,300 Private Hire Vehicles (x £86) + 5,600 Private Hire Drivers (x £86) + 100 Private Hire Operators (x £686) = 13,950 Licences.

Approximate annual licence income = £1,272,300

What's the point?

Reduce each licence by £20 & the surplus has gone, you're into deficit, licensing department costs, as all costs are always going up, & before you know it licensing department are in deep 'product of defecation'.

The surplus is tiny, when you compare it as a per licence amount.

IMO, we could do with a slightly higher surplus. In April this year we successfully argued for all licence fees to be frozen. The proposal at that time was for licence fees to go up by £3 to £5 per annum. In hindsight we should not have objected.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:04 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Because a £250,000 surplus works out at approximately £17.92p per licence, which is absolutely zilch in the scheme of things.

1400 Hackney Vehicles (x £95) + 1550 Hackney Drivers (x £86) + 5,300 Private Hire Vehicles (x £86) + 5,600 Private Hire Drivers (x £86) + 100 Private Hire Operators (x £686) = 13,950 Licences.

Approximate annual licence income = £1,272,300

What's the point?

Reduce each licence by £20 & the surplus has gone, you're into deficit, licensing department costs, as all costs are always going up, & before you know it licensing department are in deep 'product of defecation'.

The surplus is tiny, when you compare it as a per licence amount.

IMO, we could do with a slightly higher surplus. In April this year we successfully argued for all licence fees to be frozen. The proposal at that time was for licence fees to go up by £3 to £5 per annum. In hindsight we should not have objected.

Thanks for that...it makes things a little clearer.

If you people were in the NTA I'd look at the proposals, but you aint....so I wont :wink:

Either way....I wish you the best because for one reason or another....and I personally blame the 'trade' your getting the sh*tty end of the stick.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:57 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Saloon vehicles versus purpose built commercial vehicles. A lot of councils go down that route.

Is there anyone that thinks an E7, or the like, will be in a better condition than a Mondeo after, say, 5 years? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:46 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Saloon vehicles versus purpose built commercial vehicles. A lot of councils go down that route.

Is there anyone that thinks an E7, or the like, will be in a better condition than a Mondeo after, say, 5 years? :?

Yes, I do.

Have you seen the new ones?

They are a steal at the price they are selling at.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 pm 

captain cab wrote:
If you people were in the NTA I'd look at the proposals, but you aint....so I wont

Either way....I wish you the best because for one reason or another....and I personally blame the 'trade' your getting the sh*tty end of the stick.

NTA or not, we do have some capable people in Brum, which is not to say that advice, from wherever it may or may not come from, would not be listened to & appreciated.

Anyone who does not listen to an alternative view, & believes that they cannot learn from another is indeed an idiot him/herself.

And why do you blame the 'trade' for getting the sh*tty end of the stick?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:57 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Yes, I do.

They are a steal at the price they are selling at.

Long wheelbase , sports wheels, and all mod cons ... for 22 K not bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:59 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Yes, I do.

Well I haven't seen many 5 year old new ones, but seen many 5 year old old ones, and a five year old Mondeo should be in better nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Yes, I do.

Well I haven't seen many 5 year old new ones, but seen many 5 year old old ones, and a five year old Mondeo should be in better nick.

You forgot to mention that it's not a purpose built vehicle.... is just a converted van..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:03 pm 

MR T wrote:
You forgot to mention that it's not a purpose built vehicle.... is just a converted van..

And? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:09 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I take it your knowledge does not include the difference between vehicles built on a separate chassis, and vehicles with in-built chassis .. and their life expectancies. whether by age, or mileage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:11 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Yes, I do.

We will agree to differ then.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:15 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I take it your knowledge does not include the difference between vehicles built on a separate chassis, and vehicles with in-built chassis .. and their life expectancies. whether by age, or mileage

Rickshaws are purpose-built vehicles!!

They are built for conveying passengers in very highly congested Asian cities, with very slow moving traffic.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:17 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

Rickshaws are purpose-built vehicles!!

They are built for conveying passengers in very highly congested Asian cities, with very slow moving traffic.
you know when you through your Meccano set out..... now you know where it ended up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:20 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Yes, I do.

If the Eurocab is not a purpose-built vehicle, then please tell me for what other purpose it could be sensibly used, other than as a taxi?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm 

when the E7 was first introduced in Sefton, it was placed in the same category as a saloon vehicle..But. at the same time the council were advised to revisit this condition after 8 year's.. and to have a full independent survey of the vehicle.

it's first made as a van.. and then converted.... you could possibly use it as a van :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next