Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:24 pm 

Quote:
Speaking on behalf of private hire drivers Wasim Zaffer, of the TGWU, said: “They spoke to the hackney carriage drivers, but at no point did they approach the private hire drivers. What would one colour achieve?

“We are in the middle of a credit crunch, fewer people are using cabs, our drivers are paying a high price for fuel.”

Then being PH you can put your fares up?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:47 pm 

Quote:
Private hire driver Hussain Iqbal, aged 39, of Banford Avenue, Washwood Heath, said he feared the changes would prove too expensive for many operators and they would turn their back on the job. “I can’t afford to spend £15,000 on a car and paint it yellow if I’ve got to sell it eight years later because nobody will want it,” he said.

“I agree that there should be a single colour, but it’s going to be hard to afford it. With the cost of insurance and fuel going up all the time, it’s becoming difficult to operate as a private hire driver.”

Although the PH driver is quoted above, this is not the issues, but in writing my post about the meeting, I will have to choose my words very carefully.

But until I write my post, consider this;

Why would so many PH drivers be so vociferously violently opposed to having PHV all one colour, when they could so easily be used for illegal plying for hire, which most of them do already, on a much greater scale than is the case at present?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:49 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Quote:
Private hire driver Hussain Iqbal, aged 39, of Banford Avenue, Washwood Heath, said he feared the changes would prove too expensive for many operators and they would turn their back on the job. “I can’t afford to spend £15,000 on a car and paint it yellow if I’ve got to sell it eight years later because nobody will want it,” he said.

“I agree that there should be a single colour, but it’s going to be hard to afford it. With the cost of insurance and fuel going up all the time, it’s becoming difficult to operate as a private hire driver.”

Although the PH driver is quoted above, this is not the issues, but in writing my post about the meeting, I will have to choose my words very carefully.

Why would so many PH drivers be so vociferously violently opposed to having PHV all one colour, when they could so easily be used for illegal plying for hire, which most of them do already, on a much greater scale than is the case at present?

Probably for different reasons than me....thinking they should have a choice of colour.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Quote:

Probably for different reasons than me....thinking they should have a choice of colour.

Nothing to do with that.

Think totally, totally away from PH or HC.

Think totally away from the 'trade'.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 pm 

they might get recognised parked outside the benefit office :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Quote:

Nothing to do with that.

Private cars on their 5 day's off?....or are these cars used for other purposes?.....or are the drivers claiming benefit?...or are the drivers claiming disability...and the cars are on that cheaper scheme for disabled drivers?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:55 pm 

MR T wrote:
they might get recognised parked outside the benefit office :lol: :lol:

Got it in ONE!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:57 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Quote:

Nothing to do with that.

Private cars on their 5 day's off?....or are these cars used for other purposes?.....or are the drivers claiming benefit?...or are the drivers claiming disability...and the cars are on that cheaper scheme for disabled drivers?

Never thought of all those reasons, but they all could be possible.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 pm 

Quote:
Coun Osborne (Lib Dem, Acocks Green) is now demanding the firm undertakes the consultation free of charge before the proposal is reconsidered in a few months’ time.

He said: “It is quite clear that all the drivers were not consulted and we need to find out why.”

He said he personally favoured a single colour, similar to New York’s yellow cabs and Nottingham’s green taxis, rather than the ‘hotch potch of different colours, sizes and shapes’.

Thats nice for him aint it.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:06 pm 

EXTRACT FROM BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL LICENSING COMMITTEE AGENDA; 17th September 2008

3. Background

3.1 As part of a joint investigation into the activities of licensed private hire and hackney carriage drivers, a number of drivers were identified who had been claiming benefits in excess of that to which they were entitled.

3.2 Following their investigations the Benefit Counter Fraud Section brought a range of actions against a number of drivers. Where sanctions were brought by the Benefits Counter Fraud Section against drivers these were reported back to the Licensing Enforcement Team.

3.3 The Licensing Enforcement Team then investigated whether the drivers had notified the Licensing Service as required by their conditions of licence.

3.4 Where the driver had failed to disclose the sanctions, these drivers were reported to the Licensing Sub Committees for consideration of whether their actions were those of a fit and proper person to be licensed by Birmingham City Council and whether additional action should be taken against the driver.

3.5 A total of 29 drivers who had received penalties ranging from administrative sanctions to prosecutions were brought to Licensing Sub Committees in June and July 2008.

4. Licensing Sub Committee Resolutions

4.1 The Licensing Sub Committee were asked to decide whether to refuse to renew a licence, suspend a licence or to revoke a licence.

4.2 The grounds for refusing to renew, or for suspending or revoking a licence are based on whether the driver has:

• Been convicted of an offence involving dishonesty, indecency or violence;
• Been convicted of an offence under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976;
• Failed to comply with a reasonable requirement of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, or
• Any other reasonable cause.

4.3 Of the drivers brought before Committee, 16 had received an administrative penalty i.e. a financial penalty, 10 had accepted a simple caution and 3 had been prosecuted.

4.4 At hearings held on 25th June and 9th July respectively, the Licensing Sub Committee C resolved to:

• Suspend 2 drivers for 1 week.
• Suspend 9 drivers for 2 weeks.
• Suspend 5 drivers for 3 weeks.
• Suspend 2 drivers for 4 weeks.
• Suspend 5 drivers for 6 weeks.
• Suspend 1 driver for 2 months.
• Revoke 1 drivers licence.

4.5 The Licensing Sub Committee deferred decisions on the four other drivers.

Source Internet Link; http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/democracy/Pages/AgendaDetail.aspx?AgendaID%3d38328

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:10 pm 

Quote:
• Suspend 2 drivers for 1 week.
• Suspend 9 drivers for 2 weeks.
• Suspend 5 drivers for 3 weeks.
• Suspend 2 drivers for 4 weeks.
• Suspend 5 drivers for 6 weeks.
• Suspend 1 driver for 2 months.
• Revoke 1 drivers licence.

Guess which 24 decisions are dubious? :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:38 pm 

:?: :?: :?:

Hi Brummie Cabbie,

Any chance of seeing your account of the meeting on 17 September, interested in hearing what went on, or reading if anything was actually decided.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:32 pm 

Has anything happened yet in relation to the yellow PH issue? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 pm 

A simple solution to weed out drivers is require them to supply there national insurance number and tax code on the aplication forms, just like Dundee did