Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:49 pm 

Taxi fares in Bristol have gone up by six per cent over the weekend. But as the credit crunch forces more people in the city to tighten their belts, the increase could be seen as yet another drain on their budget.

The rise follows negotiations between unions representing cabbies and Bristol City Council. But the unions say they object because the final figure has been imposed on them.

Teenagers and other revellers coming home from city centre pubs and clubs on Saturday night were among the first to pay the new rates. A typical £10 journey from the Centre to Whitchurch at night, for instance, now costs £10.60.

Unions representing many of the city's 700-plus taxi drivers say they will not agree to the new fares until they are properly advertised. The council says that this is not necessary. This is the first pay rise drivers have had in two years.

Some Transport and General Workers members called earlier this year for a 20 per cent fare increase. Their leaders later told the city council they wanted a 10 per cent rise. The council first offered 4.7 per cent, then put this up to 6 per cent.

But the unions say this figure has been unlawfully imposed on them – which the council denies. A spokesman said: "The original tariff proposals were advertised and, following representations from taxi drivers, the council agreed to raise the tariff from 4.7 per cent to 6 per cent in recognition of increased fuel costs.

"Legally, the council is not required to readvertise the revised proposals and, accordingly, the new revised tariffs will come into effect on Saturday."

The new rates – an initial £2.50 to £3.20, depending on time, and 20 pence for every 200 metres, on average, after that – were brought into effect at 7am on Saturday. Drivers were queueing at the council's depot in Princess Street, Bedminster, on Saturday to have their meters recalibrated.

Earlier this year, a senior union official said: "Our members are saying fares should rise by 20 per cent to cover fuel, garaging and maintenance costs."

An ex-vice-chairman of the T&G branch, Mike Bain, 65, of Sidelands Road, Downend, told the Bristol Evening Post last night: "I don't think 6 per cent is enough. I just want something which will cover my costs. We haven't had a pay rise in two years and since then costs have gone through the roof, particularly fuel."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:50 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Some Transport and General Workers members called earlier this year for a 20 per cent fare increase.

](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:51 pm 

20% are they serious?

CC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Drivers were queueing at the council's depot in Princess Street, Bedminster, on Saturday to have their meters recalibrated.

Have I missed something here or is Saturday the dumbest time to arrange a tariff change? :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But the unions say this figure has been unlawfully imposed on them – which the council denies. A spokesman said: "The original tariff proposals were advertised and, following representations from taxi drivers, the council agreed to raise the tariff from 4.7 per cent to 6 per cent in recognition of increased fuel costs.

"Legally, the council is not required to readvertise the revised proposals and, accordingly, the new revised tariffs will come into effect on Saturday."
."

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6689&highlight=fare+increase

If no objection to a table of fares or variation is duly made within the period specified in the notice, or if all objections so made are withdrawn, the table of fares or variations comes into operation on the date of the expiration of the period specified in the notice or the date of withdrawal of the objection or, if more than one, of the last objection, whichever date is the later. If objection is duly made and is not withdrawn, the district council must set a further date, not later than two months after the first specified date, on which the table of fares is to come into force with or without modifications as decided by it after consideration of the objections.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:04 pm 

Quote:
An ex-vice-chairman of the T&G branch, Mike Bain, 65, of Sidelands Road, Downend, told the Bristol Evening Post last night: "I don't think 6 per cent is enough. I just want something which will cover my costs. We haven't had a pay rise in two years and since then costs have gone through the roof, particularly fuel."

I wonder why these places dont ask for a fare increase every year? why wait 2 years?

As for fuel.....someone better tell the T&G its going down.

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

I wonder why these places dont ask for a fare increase every year? why wait 2 years?

As for fuel.....someone better tell the T&G its going down.

regards

CC

Two years ago Diesel was about 80p a litre?

Two months ago Diesel was 130p a litre.

It is about 115p a litre now.

To be fair to the Bristol boys, is that therefore still an increase on two years ago? even though it has gone down in the last few weeks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm 

What percentage did the licensing fees rise by :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:15 pm 

I know what you mean Jimbo,

Oct 08 113.9

Oct 07 99.8

Oct 06 92.1

But why did the local trade wait 24 months?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:02 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Three letters.

T & G :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Three letters.

T & G :sad:

Is & a letter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:07 pm 

grandad wrote:
Is & a letter?

Yes.