Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:09 pm 

toots wrote:
We've been allowed in the bus lanes for years and nobody ever mentioned how much it was going to cost to let us use them. Can we stop this them and us with HC & Private Hire it's beginning to get on me tit. Apart from how I get my work will somebody explain the difference in my job to that of a HC.

Youd get my Vote for Prime Minister Toots........ =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:00 pm 

toots wrote:
Apart from how I get my work will somebody explain the difference in my job to that of a HC.

Apart from you not being allowed to ply for hire.

Apart from you not being allowed to stand for hire.

Apart from your fares not being regulated.

Apart from you being regulated by conditions. and

Apart from HC being regulated by byelaws.

Apart from your work having to come via an operator.

Apart from the customers contract with PH being with the Operator whereas the customers contract with Hc is with the driver.

Yep quite similar :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:23 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
Apart from how I get my work will somebody explain the difference in my job to that of a HC.

Apart from the customers contract with PH being with the Operator whereas the customers contract with Hc is with the driver.

CC

As I said "Apart from HOW I get my work" which takes out:-

Apart from you not being allowed to stand for hire

Apart from your work having to come via an operator, which incidently so does some of the work for Hackneys.
That leaves:-

Apart from your fares not being regulated. Well not by the LA but by the company I work for, but, regulated all the same.

Apart from HC being regulated by byelaws. At the end of the day we're both regulated one way or t'other

Apart from the customers contract with PH being with the Operator whereas the customers contract with Hc is with the driver. For what it's worth!! If I had an accident they wouldn't be suing the Company I work for they'll be suing me

Anyway my job is to taxi people from A to B. What's yours? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:33 pm 

toots wrote:

Sit outside shops and steal work from private hire :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:39 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Sit outside shops and steal work from private hire :wink:

CC

You're soooooooo bad. But hey who cares I don't work days :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:41 pm 

toots wrote:

If you look outside the window I think you'll find you should be at work :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 pm 

toots wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

CC

As I said "Apart from HOW I get my work" which takes out:-

Apart from you not being allowed to stand for hire

Apart from your work having to come via an operator, which incidently so does some of the work for Hackneys.
That leaves:-

Apart from your fares not being regulated. Well not by the LA but by the company I work for, but, regulated all the same.

Apart from HC being regulated by byelaws. At the end of the day we're both regulated one way or t'other

Apart from the customers contract with PH being with the Operator whereas the customers contract with Hc is with the driver. For what it's worth!! If I had an accident they wouldn't be suing the Company I work for they'll be suing me

Tell him toots....

the Jobs the Exact same, its moving people by car for reward, only the method of approach is Different..some like to sit in a Taxi and Wait...others Like to sit at home and wait. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

If you look outside the window I think you'll find you should be at work :lol:

CC

Not yet it's too early. The problem I have is there are approx. 80+ HC's that work our PH system and they won't dissappear off the system until midnight and I hate sitting around doing nothing, the town just isn't big enough for all it's taxis. I shall be out at midnight after CSI :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:50 pm 

toots wrote:

Not yet it's too early. The problem I have is there are approx. 80+ HC's that work our PH system and they won't dissappear off the system until midnight and I hate sitting around doing nothing, the town just isn't big enough for all it's taxis. I shall be out at midnight after CSI :wink:

Do PH not get priority on a PH system?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:48 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Do PH not get priority on a PH system?

CC

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I wish!! They pay less settle than us but get the same opportunities at the work that we do, go figure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:46 am 

Swindon bus lanes 'won't be abused by cabbies'

PLANS to allow taxis and private hire vehicles to use bus lanes will be closely monitored to ensure that the system is not abused.

This is the message from cabinet member for highways, transport and strategic planning, Coun Peter Greenhalgh (Con, Freshbrook and Grange Park).

At last week’s cabinet meeting Swindon Council agreed to approve the use of bus lanes by licensed taxis and private hire vehicles.

But, during the discussion, concerns were raised over how the scheme would be enforced and if cyclists would be inconvenienced as a result.

Coun Greenhalgh has made clear that any complaints from cyclists and any other road user will be taken very seriously.

He said: “We will be monitoring the situation and any complaints that we receive and looking at those on an individual basis.

“Any concerns that are expressed and any evidence that road users are not showing respect for each other will be taken very seriously.”

Coun Greenhalgh stressed that he was keen to encourage respect among road users, and involve them in enforcement of road safety.

He said: “What I would like to see is road users engaging with police.

“Everyone, whether it’s a cyclist stopping at a red light or a motorist showing concern for other road users, plays a part in keeping our roads safe.”

At a scrutiny meeting on Monday, Lib Dem leader Stan Pajak repeated his concerns that a similar scheme in Bristol had not worked as well as organisers had hoped.

He added that the measures would be a danger to cyclists.

Coun David Glaholm, (Independent, Penhill), who has long supported the scheme, also spoke to request special signage for private hire vehicles to distinguish them from other road users.

Coun Greenhalgh has spoken about the possibility of introducing other similar schemes in the future, including high vehicle occupancy lanes, which he believes would encourage people to car share.