Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:41 pm 

Classic cars in bid for hire licences

COUNCILLORS will decide whether an old fire engine and ambulance, a stretch limo and two classic Rolls Royces can be used as hire vehicles for special occasions.

A report to the Teignbridge regulatory and appeals committee points out there has been a rapid growth in the use of unusual vehicles for private hire.

They were largely unregulated, but now the government has decided the exemption posed a significant safety risk and should now be licensed.

The vehicles have to meet certain criteria for the safety of the public, and the committee on Wednesday will adjudicate on whether to grant or refuse licences for the private hire of the five vehicles.

The report adds the vehicles could not meet some of the council's technical requirements for such vehicles.

But the applicants had requested the vehicles should be considered on an individual basis.

The applications are by Philip Street, of Ogwell, for two Rolls Royce Shadow IIs, one 30 years old, and the other registered 28 years ago, and by Hummer 4U Ltd, of Newton Abbot, for a 1995 pink Ford Lincoln stretched limousine, a 22-year-old former Dodge fire engine and a 1996 former Chevrolet ambulance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm 

here i can plate "speciality" vehicles (aimed at rollers/etc) at the same price as a standard PH/HC plate

the LO has to inspect the vehicle to ascertain it is "of exceptional condition in bodywork and interior" before purchase (advised)

not sure about fire engines, i thouht they were all driven by dennis...

a guy here has a "special" plate on his horse drawn carriage for rides round the town

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:20 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
here i can plate "speciality" vehicles (aimed at rollers/etc) at the same price as a standard PH/HC plate

the LO has to inspect the vehicle to ascertain it is "of exceptional condition in bodywork and interior" before purchase (advised)

a guy here has a "special" plate on his horse drawn carriage for rides round the town

You also have a stretched limousine in your area on a special events plate. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:43 pm 

captain cab wrote:
The applications are by Philip Street, of Ogwell, for two Rolls Royce Shadow IIs, one 30 years old, and the other registered 28 years ago, and by Hummer 4U Ltd, of Newton Abbot, for a 1995 pink Ford Lincoln stretched limousine, a 22-year-old former Dodge fire engine and a 1996 former Chevrolet ambulance.

I wonder if any of those vehicles have been used illegally since January 2008. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

You also have a stretched limousine in your area on a special events plate. :wink:

fair play to him if its plated and hes badged

just the other 10,000 to be done now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:39 am 

For the record, my plate numbers are 01 & 02 and they aint on old "ROLLERS"

This 'special events' came about due to the LA refusal to grant me an exemption on displaying P H plates (as most LA's are happy to do) on my Limo & Chrysler Voyager.

IMO, granting a special events licence to a horse and carriage makes a mockery of the Licensing.

To quote my special events vehicle conditions of licence:

Vehicle Type:
"Special Event Vehicles must be, in the opinion of the Licensing Officer, of such quality and character as to be considered a "luxury" vehicle"

So now a horse & carriage is a luxury vehicle :?: :oops: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:09 am 

steve select wrote:
For the record, my plate numbers are 01 & 02 and they aint on old "ROLLERS"

mines a 55 plate and it aint a transit...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

do you follow the scholars? our lad did work experience there

(work is an alien concept to him)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:13 am 

steve select wrote:
So now a horse & carriage is a luxury vehicle :?: :oops: :roll: