Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bedroom Tax
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

toots wrote:
Quote:
The changes will only affect council tenants and housing association tenants. If you rent a property from a private landlord you will not be affected.

Surely this is discriminating if true :?

It isn't true. It will not apply to private landlord tenants, because it ALREADY applies to them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I suppose it boils down to the question who is more deserving of a three bedroom house.

The couple who's children have all moved out, or the couple with loads of kids living in B&B.

How many one bedroom homes are available for them to move to? And who owns them?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm 

jimbo wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:
The changes will only affect council tenants and housing association tenants. If you rent a property from a private landlord you will not be affected.

Surely this is discriminating if true :?

It isn't true. It will not apply to private landlord tenants, because it ALREADY applies to them.

Does it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:02 pm 

toots wrote:

Does it?

either Jimbo is pointing out what the website article states - or he owns property and rents it out. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Does it?

either Jimbo is pointing out what the website article states - or he owns property and rents it out. :roll:

What website?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 pm 

toots wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Does it?

What website?

http://www.gladstonebrookes.co.uk/blog/ ... explained/

that one :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 pm 

That doesn't say anything more than what you've already printed :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 pm 

toots wrote:

Has your PC got a google search facility?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:59 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Has your PC got a google search facility?

Of course but I'm not the one that said it, all I wanted to know was whether it was true because I don't believe it is :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am 

Daily Mirror today the 7th March a full breakdown of this despicable scheme 400 000 DISABLED will lose £650 a year off :evil: their already starvation level benefits, some one please post the article up TT :evil:

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am 

toots wrote:

Of course but I'm not the one that said it, all I wanted to know was whether it was true because I don't believe it is :roll:

so what your saying is you cant be ars*d to google it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 am 

trotskys twin wrote:
Daily Mirror today the 7th March a full breakdown of this despicable scheme 400 000 DISABLED will lose £650 a year off :evil: their already starvation level benefits, some one please post the article up TT :evil:

found this in the morning star comrade :shock:

What the bedroom tax means for the most vulnerable

On April 1 the bedroom tax will hit families across Britain, slashing the housing benefit of anyone deemed to have more space than they need.

When people in my constituency told me of the effect the bedroom tax will have on them I was shocked. A woman on employment and support allowance (ESA), who had to stop working owing to a chronic health condition, told me that when the tax hits she will be left with just £18 to live on. The figure isn't unusual.

I decided to see if I could survive on just £18 for a week. The figure's not arbitrary. Of £71.70 ESA the woman in question had to pay £10 a week for electricity, £20 for heating, £6 for water rates and £4 for bus fares.

The bedroom tax will take another £10. That leaves £23, but we calculated that around £5 needs to be set aside. There are all the non-food items you need to buy - soap, washing powder, washing-up liquid, toothpaste, loo roll - from time to time, and the woman tried to save £50 a year in case she needed clothes or shoes, or the iron breaks.

This leaves £18.

I took up the challenge for a week. It was extremely unpleasant.

I found myself waking up in the middle of the night absolutely ravenous, having to make cups of tea and eat biscuits.

I had a headache for five days that week and I was completely lethargic and exhausted by 4pm. I found it impossible to imagine looking for a job on so little food, let alone taking part in a workfare programme.

On £18 I had porridge for breakfast every morning, as I usually do, but whereas I usually make porridge with milk instead I had to use water.

I had to eat the same food over and over and over again. Single people are hit particularly hard, because cheap food comes in big packs. I made a stew at the beginning of the week, and I ate the same food four nights a week. Pasta featured twice. I had baked potatoes. I had eggs on six occasions.

It was completely impossible to have fish as well as meat - that was out of the question. It was also impossible to have five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

Tory Health Minister Anna Soubry recently criticised people on low incomes for being obese. But how can you expect someone to control their weight when they can't afford five fruit and veg per day and have to resort to filling up on biscuits?

And on the Sunday I ran out of food.

There was literally nothing left to eat that night. If ministers are happy with the notion that 660,000 of our fellow citizens are literally not going to have enough to eat by the end of the week they have no conception of the suffering about to be imposed on members of constituencies up and down the country.

Ministers have been very free and easy in talking about alternatives, such as the fact that people can move.

In my constituency more than 1,000 people will be affected by the bedroom tax, but there are fewer than 100 smaller properties to which they could move.

It is not possible for all these people to increase the number of hours they work, as seven people are chasing every job. People are in part-time work because they cannot get full-time work.

Of course some individuals or couples have properties that are larger than they need, but so-called under-occupancy is in one part of the country and overcrowding is in another.

It simply is not credible to suggest that all the large, over-occupying families in London will move up to Durham, particularly given that the unemployment rate there is more than 9 per cent. What would they be moving to?

I made a video diary of my week, so I got a lot of feedback from people affected by this policy.

"Yes, this is the reality of our lives," I heard. People are not able to get by properly now but are going to be £10 a week worse off from April.

It wasn't the first time I've done an experiment like this. In 2006 when Labour were in power I lived on what young people received at the lowest rate of income support. It was difficult, but I didn't starve.

In 2006 £21 a week was left for food for those people. That would be equivalent to £28 now. The Tories will have shaved more than a third from the money the poorest people in the country rely on for food.

Government ministers also constantly refer to how discretionary housing benefits can solve the problems created by the bedroom tax.

In Durham £5 million of income will be taken out of people's pockets and out of the local economy.

The size of the discretionary fund is half a million pounds, so once again there is a huge gap between actual need and the resources being given to people to deal with it.

The bedroom tax is a fundamental attack on the poorest people in this country. People are going to lose between £500 and £1,000 over the course of next year, through no fault of their own.

But the really disgusting thing is that on the same day that the bedroom tax is being introduced millionaires are being given a tax cut that will be worth £1,000 - not over the year as a whole, but every single week.
•Helen Goodman is Labour MP for Bishop Auckland and shadow minister for culture, media and sport. You can watch videos from her week living on £18 at www.youtube.com/user/HelenGoodmanMP.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:07 am 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

so what your saying is you cant be ars*d to google it :lol:

If I make a statement and somebody wants me to back it up then it's only right that I should or admit that I made it up, unless of course I can't be ars*d to google it and point them in the right direction. Either way it's not really for me to google because I never made the first statement I just asked if it was true :wink: Now I get to read the above too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:16 am 

trotskys twin wrote:

More Tory shame: 400,000 disabled people lose £650 a year to bedroom tax
6 Mar 2013 21:37

More than 400,000 people with a disability are set to lose more than £650 a year when the measure comes into force in April

Blast: Ed Miliband at PMQs

David Cameron’s hated bedroom tax will leave hundreds of thousands of disabled people worse off.

More than 400,000 people with a disability are set to lose more than £650 a year when the measure comes into force in April.

Ed Miliband seized on the figures in a clash at PM’s questions. The Labour leader said disabled people will lose £306million.

He added: “He pulls out all the stops to defend the bankers and their bonuses but he’s got nothing to say to disabled people who have been hit by his bedroom tax.

“He stands up for the wrong people – it’s no wonder his backbenchers and the country think he’s totally out of touch.”

From April anyone in social housing with a spare room will lose 14% of their housing benefit or 25% if they have two or more rooms.

Government figures showed 420,000 disabled people will be an average of £14 a week worse off.

But it has set aside just £25million to help disabled people affected – the equivalent of £1.14 in help.

As a result, victims of tax, which Mr Cameron calls the spare room subsidy, will lose £668 a year.

The Daily Mirror revealed today how in Newcastle 7,000 people have an “extra” room but there are only 50 one-bed flats to move to.
Government thinks we don't matter

Home fears: Rose and Lorraine

A SPECIALLY adapted area for an autistic teen will be classed a “spare room,” leaving her mum £15-a-week worse off.

The council spent £10,000 giving Rose Homayon-Jones, 19, her own bathroom, bedroom and safe room.

Mum Lorraine, 52, of Blackburn, Lancs, who can’t work as she is her daughter’s full-time carer, will either have to make savings or move into a smaller house – which the council would still have to adapt.

She said: “This is very scary. I’m trying to look happy for the kids but I’m very worried.

“Before the election, David Cameron said he would put carers’ needs at the heart of every policy issue.

“I am just so upset. It’s not about the money. I will find it because I can’t move.

It’s the assumption if you live in social housing you don’t matter.

“This is someone in Whitehall who thinks they know better than medical experts.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be ... le-1747829

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 am 

The mirror has missed blaming the lib dems - they are complicit - indeed more so!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next