Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm 

Ban councillors from making money from planning system in their area, Labour's Hilary Benn tells Eric Pickles

Councillors should be banned from making money from the planning system in their local areas, Labour has told Local Government secretary Eric Pickles.

Hilary Benn, Mr Pickles’ Labour’s shadow, said that Mr Pickles had a duty to ban the “lobbying for reward” culture among councillors.

Labour intervened after The Daily Telegraph disclosed how councillors had been setting up consultancies to advise developers how to win planning permissions.

Mr Benn praised The Daily Telegraph for highlighting the loophole and called on the Government to stop the practice.

The paper disclosed today how councillors across England were offering themselves for hire to property developers who are hoping to take advantage of relaxed planning laws which come into effect within weeks.

Mr Benn said: “The Telegraph’s investigation has highlighted a loophole in the current system which seems to allow councillors to get paid to lobby for or advise on planning decisions in their own authorities.

“No-one is saying that councillors can’t work in lobbying at all, especially those who spend their lives advocating for worthy causes, but I will be writing to Eric Pickles to urge him to act immediately to ban any councillor from taking on paid consultancy for clients seeking to influence the local authority on which they serve.

“This is the rule that Parliament already works to, which bans lobbying for reward, and the same rule against paid advocacy should apply to all locally elected representatives.”

The Telegraph disclosed how local government politicians were trading on their inside knowledge of the planning system to receive fees of up to £20,000 for advice on how to get developments approved.

Despite apparently creating the potential for a conflict of interest, it is not illegal for councillors to work as paid consultants.

Councils are expected to face an increase in applications for building when new planning laws take effect at the end of this month. One lobbying company boasted to potential clients that it employs councillors who sit on local authority committees.

The investigation also found that councillors who have set up their own consultancy services are offering to help push through planning applications.

All the councillors named in the investigation said their activities had been appropriately declared.

Letter to Local Government secretary Eric Pickles from Shadow Local Government secretary Hilary Benn

Rt Hon Eric Pickles
Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
Eland House
Bressenden Place
LONDON SW1E 5DU

11 March 2013

Re: Councillors who are paid to lobby on planning matters

I am writing following the report in today's Daily Telegraph about councillors who run or are paid by consultancies to advise developers about planning applications.

I think this highlights a particular loophole in the current system which seems to allow councillors to get paid to lobby for or advise on planning decisions in their own authority. I am not saying that being a councillor should not in itself preclude you from working in lobbying at all, including advising on planning applications going to other authorities, provided their interest is publicly declared.

However, I hope you will agree with me that it is not right for a councillor to take on paid consultancy for clients seeking to influence the local authority on which they serve. It is a clear conflict of interest and the rules need to be tightened to stop it happening.

In doing so we should follow the example of Parliament where we already have a rule which bans lobbying for reward. I think the same rule against paid advocacy in their own authority should apply to all locally elected representatives, and I would therefore urge you to take action immediately to bring in a similar rule for local government.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ckles.html

'If I can’t get planning, nobody will' says Devon councillor and planning consultant

East Devon Conservative councillor Graham Brown told undercover Telegraph reporters how he could help overseas investors secure planning approval for large developments around the UK.

“If I can’t get planning, nobody will," Graham Brown told undercover reporters last month.

The East Devon Conservative councillor runs a planning consultancy and, although, he is not directly involved in planning decisions, he was clear about what benefits he could bring to a group of overseas investors trying to secure planning approval for large developments around the UK.

“I know, without trying to be clever, I know more than most of the councillors and I know more than most of the officers,” he said."I don't come cheap," the planning consultant added, stating that he was normally paid £80 an hour or between £1000 and £20,000 for a project.

His fees would vary “depending on the viability of the scheme, if we get it, like if I turned a greenfield into a housing estate and I’m earning a developer two or three million, then I ain’t doing it for peanuts… Especially if I’m the difference between winning it and losing it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ltant.html

TDO reported this at the time;

Ex-councillor jailed over bribery

A former Portsmouth city councillor has been jailed for a year after being found guilty of accepting a bribe.

Jeremy Baker, 47, from Cosham, was convicted of accepting £500 for making sure a planning decision for a property developer got through.

A secret film of the incident was shown to jurors at Winchester Crown Court during Baker's trial.

He was convicted of a corruption charge but cleared of another. They related to his time on the planning committee.

Estate agent David Maunder made the recording in an agreement with a property developer who felt he was poorly treated by planners, jurors were told.

The developer felt aggrieved about the planning committee's dealings over his three properties in London Road, St Helens Parade and Kingston Parade, the court heard.

On one occasion, Mr Maunder said to Baker, "right I've got a little something for you" before counting £500 out on the table, jurors were told.

Baker, who was cleared of taking a £250 bribe, was jailed for a year on Thursday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 275826.stm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm 

Bob Bibby and Jim Taylor held in Bury Council bribery probe

Two Conservative councillors are among five men who have been arrested as part of a corruption investigation in Greater Manchester.

Bury Council's former leader Councillor Bob Bibby and Councillor Jim Taylor were among five men held regarding allegations two councillors were bribed over a planning application in Bury.

Police said five men aged between 45 and 69 were arrested on suspicion of corruption in a public office.

They have been bailed until April.

The force's Serious Crime Division executed warrants at addresses in Greater Manchester and Lancashire on Tuesday.

Police made the arrests in Altrincham, Greater Manchester; Kersal, Salford; Didsbury, Manchester and Bacup in Lancashire.

Officers also seized computers and documents from Bury Town Hall.

Bury Divisional Commander Ch Supt Jon Rush said: "I recognise this operation will cause some disruption at the council.

"However, the council is co-operating with the investigation and we intend to keep disruption to a minimum."

A council spokesman said: "We are currently assisting police with their ongoing investigation so would be inappropriate to comment further."

Mr Bibby represents the Church ward and was first elected to the council in 1999. Mr Taylor represents the North Manor ward.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-16836597

Wind farm developers 'offered bribes' to authorities in Lincolnshire

Wind farm developers have been accused of "offering bribes" to planning authorities across Lincolnshire.

Conservative county councillor Stephen Williams made the attack on turbine applicants at a meeting of the overview and scrutiny committee at Lincolnshire County Council.

Councillor Williams said: "Wind farm applicants are offering money to parish councils and planning committees in Lincolnshire in order to have their applications approved.

"They are bribes – it is as simple as that. It needs to stop immediately.

"The people of Lincolnshire don't want any more wind turbines so why is this happening?"

Meanwhile Colin Davie, chairman of the environmental scrutiny committee, added: "I also understand this is the case.

"Any planning authority that has accepted bribes and gone against the wishes of the thousands of residents should lose their jobs.

"They should not be surprised if at the next election if the people of this county decide to sack them."

Lincolnshire's landscape currently has 75 onshore turbines, with dozens more in the pipeline.

The allegations came weeks after the council published the results of a survey into its stance against more wind farms.

The results claimed 89 per cent of people supported the county council's policy.

The council pledged to stop the "unrestrained invasion" of wind turbines across the country in June last year when the executive, led by Martin Hill, moved to resist new wind farm developments.

Around 4,000 people completed the survey.

The Lincolnshire Echo also ran an online poll last month – with 76 per cent saying no to further wind farm developments in the county.

Read more: http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Win ... z2NFjnMpbi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:25 pm 

Quote:
Labour intervened after The Daily Telegraph disclosed how councillors had been setting up consultancies to advise developers how to win planning permissions.

For that read "tell them how much to put in brown envelopes and who to give them to"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 pm 

AND HOW MANY ON HERE ACTUALLY VOTE IN LOCAL ELECTIONS :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:36 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
AND HOW MANY ON HERE ACTUALLY VOTE IN LOCAL ELECTIONS :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Not anymore - I couldn't bring myself to vote for any political party that endorses what Israel has done to the Palestinians.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 am 

captain cab wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Not anymore - I couldn't bring myself to vote for any political party that endorses what Israel has done to the Palestinians.

And thereby open the door to this shytte control your petulance and partake or endure more of this , by the way always supported the Palestinians cause, and you do that by being involveld NOT declining a right millions died for you to have MUG :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
trotskys twin wrote:

Always and my vote goes to the Independants who are desperately trying to stand up for this town in the face of the grotsville oppressors !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:09 pm 
edders23 wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Always and my vote goes to the Independants who are desperately trying to stand up for this town in the face of the grotsville oppressors !

Are any Councillors ever independent? they run with the hounds or the hare...generally the Johnny no mates of politics-a vote for them is generally only a token that's never to go anywhere-a protest vote akin to one for Screaming Lord Sutch Bless him...a shot across the bow effective perhaps years ago but lost in the hype of today's cut throat politics!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Not convinced the BNP are that too pro Israel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Gobby wrote:
edders23 wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Are any Councillors ever independent? they run with the hounds or the hare...generally the Johnny no mates of politics-a vote for them is generally only a token that's never to go anywhere-a protest vote akin to one for Screaming Lord Sutch Bless him...a shot across the bow effective perhaps years ago but lost in the hype of today's cut throat politics!

Actually they control the town council but the tories and labour seem to manage to get their supporters out when it is the district council seats up for grabs

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:

And thereby open the door to this shytte control your petulance and partake or endure more of this , by the way always supported the Palestinians cause, and you do that by being involveld NOT declining a right millions died for you to have MUG :D

Well - I cant see me voting Tory - because they aren't very nice people.

The Liberals can all go jump in a dry dock.

And Labour got us involved in more wars than any other government since WW2.

As for UKIP - they're OK - but their stance on Europe is all wrong. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:03 pm 

I don't know a whole lot about town planning/planning applications but I do know that our authority has just started to charge for advice prior to planning applications. I don't know who will provide the advice, whether it will be Councillors or employees. I could be wrong but I suspect they are trying to plug a gap in their funding :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 pm 

captain cab wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Respect Party ! Get george running the country :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:24 am 

blackpool wrote:
captain cab wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Respect Party ! Get george running the country :D

I better quantify that statement, and I know TT will see this as a cop out because ultimately the member of the political party has sway - besides what people think - read stupid white men by Michael Moore, the following is just as true in this country;

*Take over your local Democratic Party. In most counties the local Democratic Party is ran by just a few people, 'cause most citizens would never think of showing up. Go the next county or town Party meeting, and bring ten friends. In most cases your bunch will constitute a majority. Use the rules and the state party by-laws (which can often be found on the Web) and seize control.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 pm 

captain cab wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Get it right yokel that was NEW LABOUR SCUM :evil: :evil: :evil:

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE