Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 pm 

Huhne and Pryce given eight months

Chris Huhne, the disgraced former minister, and his ex-wife Vicky Pryce, one of Britain’s leading economists, have both been sentenced to eight months in jail for perverting the course of justice.

Huhne, who almost won his challenge to be leader of the Liberal Democrat party, for months spent thousands of pounds trying to get the case thrown out. He pleaded guilty at the last minute, as his trial was due to start.

Pryce underwent two jury trials and used the defence of marital coercion to explain why she had taken speeding penalty points on behalf of Huhne so he could avoid a driving ban in 2003.

Both arrived at Southwark Crown Court on Monday afternoon surrounded by their lawyers.

Pryce, dressed in black, was handed a long-stemmed red rose by a well wisher. Four protesters with banners saying “Support Vicky Pryce” stood outside the court, which was surrounded by photographers and camera crews.

The case laid bare the bitterness of the couple’s marriage break-up after Huhne’s decision in 2010 to leave Pryce for political aide Carina Trimingham.

The trial heard that after the break up of her marriage Pryce co-operated with journalists from The Sunday Times and Mail on Sunday in 2011 to bring stories about Huhne’s speeding points into the public domain in an effort to “destroy” her husband who, by then, was a cabinet minister in the coalition government.

Pryce told the jury that in May 2003 her “overbearing” husband had summoned her at their home and told her to sign the speeding form. She told the jury that his “threatening attitude” made it clear the “consequences for me would be quite significant”.

However, prosecutors told the court that Pryce was not the sort of woman to be intimidated by Huhne and had the “dual objective” to “destroy Mr Huhne but protect her reputation” and had conducted a “very sophisticated and manipulative campaign”.

Throughout the case, Pryce had been painted as a high-flyer who had become the first female chief economic adviser to the Department of Trade and Industry “playing quite an important part in running the country”.

Perverting the course of justice technically carries a maximum prison sentence of life but convictions of between one and three years are commonplace.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9fcbc470-8a50 ... z2NFtCy7Xr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:14 pm 

Yet the bankers and the murdochs of this country walk away with fat pockets :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Yet the bankers and the murdochs of this country walk away with fat pockets :roll: :roll:

I was trying to find the case of an Asian chap - he received a far harsher sentence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm 

5 months
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oints.html

8 months
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... -30904633/

1 month
http://www.roadsupervisors.net/shz.news.htm

12 months for licensed driver
http://www.edinburghtaxi.co.uk/cab-driv ... t-to-jail/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:28 pm 

There really is no guidlines anymore though is there ? In the last riots people were getting time for all sort s of what would usually be trivial crimes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31 pm 

blackpool wrote:
There really is no guidlines anymore though is there ? In the last riots people were getting time for all sort s of what would usually be trivial crimes.

Yes, but I'm guessing a percentage of his prison time will be due to the fact he lied when he was first accused - he didn't come clean until the last minute - the justice system doesn't really like that kind of thing. If that's the case I'd say his sentence was lenient - as you say - considering what the rioters got - very lenient indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 pm 

captain cab wrote:
blackpool wrote:

Yes, but I'm guessing a percentage of his prison time will be due to the fact he lied when he was first accused - he didn't come clean until the last minute - the justice system doesn't really like that kind of thing. If that's the case I'd say his sentence was lenient - as you say - considering what the rioters got - very lenient indeed.

Yes it was the lying in the first place,arrogant. Pretty ironic that his father made a fortune from speed cameras :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:01 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I'm glad she went down as well though because i can't help feeling that she is far from the innocent victim of coercion she doesn't strike me as the sort of woman that allows her husband to bully her. I suspect this was all about her getting revenge on hubby for ditching her not out of a sense of guilt for what she had done

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:30 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I'm glad she went down as well though because i can't help feeling that she is far from the innocent victim of coercion she doesn't strike me as the sort of woman that allows her husband to bully her. I suspect this was all about her getting revenge on hubby for ditching her not out of a sense of guilt for what she had done

I don't know about the first part but I suspect the later half of you comment is quite true, something about a woman scorned :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 am 

2011 England riots

Trials and sentencing

As of 1 September 2011, the BBC report that official Ministry of Justice figures show that of the 1,566 people that have appeared before magistrates on charges connected with the disorder, that 1,027 had been in London, 190 in Greater Manchester, 132 in the West Midlands, 67 in Merseyside and 64 in Nottingham.[256]

Sentences of four years in a Young Offender Institution were given to two men who promoted riots via Facebook. The proposed events in Northwich and Warrington were not attended by any other people.[257][258] These sentences were affirmed on appeal by the Court of Appeal. Giving the judgment of the court, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Judge, sitting with Sir John Thomas and Lord Justice Leveson, stated that there is "an overwhelming obligation on sentencing courts to do what they can to ensure the protection of the public", that "the imposition of severe sentences, intended to provide both punishment and deterrence, must follow" and that "[t]hose who deliberately participate in disturbances of this magnitude, causing injury and damage and fear to even the most stout-hearted of citizens, and who individually commit further crimes during the course of the riots are committing aggravated crimes". The appeals were dismissed.[259]

On 25 April 2012, the Court of Appeal (Lord Judge CJ, Openshaw & Irwin JJ) increased the sentence imposed by the Crown Court at Inner London on Adam Ahmadzai from four years detention to seven years detention for offences of violent disorder, robbery, burglary and criminal damage committed during the riots on 8 August 2011, after a reference from Attorney General, Dominic Grieve QC.[260][261] The Lord Chief Justice stated that the offences were of the "greatest possible seriousness".[262]

A woman who had not taken part in the riots received five months for receiving a pair of stolen shorts. The sentence was later reduced on appeal.[263] Manchester police used Twitter to celebrate the five month sentence; they later apologised and removed the tweet.[264] A teenager was freed when prosecutors found evidence he had been wrongly charged with arson. While in prison, his own flat was burned down.[265][266] The detaining of under-18s without criminal records was criticised by UNICEF in October 2011 for possibly breaching the 1989 UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.[267] In August 2012, 1292 rioters were handed over a custodial sentence totalling 1800 years at 16.8 months on an average.[268]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 am 

captain cab wrote:
2011 England riots

Trials and sentencing

As of 1 September 2011, the BBC report that official Ministry of Justice figures show that of the 1,566 people that have appeared before magistrates on charges connected with the disorder, that 1,027 had been in London, 190 in Greater Manchester, 132 in the West Midlands, 67 in Merseyside and 64 in Nottingham.[256]

Sentences of four years in a Young Offender Institution were given to two men who promoted riots via Facebook. The proposed events in Northwich and Warrington were not attended by any other people.[257][258] These sentences were affirmed on appeal by the Court of Appeal. Giving the judgment of the court, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Judge, sitting with Sir John Thomas and Lord Justice Leveson, stated that there is "an overwhelming obligation on sentencing courts to do what they can to ensure the protection of the public", that "the imposition of severe sentences, intended to provide both punishment and deterrence, must follow" and that "[t]hose who deliberately participate in disturbances of this magnitude, causing injury and damage and fear to even the most stout-hearted of citizens, and who individually commit further crimes during the course of the riots are committing aggravated crimes". The appeals were dismissed.[259]

On 25 April 2012, the Court of Appeal (Lord Judge CJ, Openshaw & Irwin JJ) increased the sentence imposed by the Crown Court at Inner London on Adam Ahmadzai from four years detention to seven years detention for offences of violent disorder, robbery, burglary and criminal damage committed during the riots on 8 August 2011, after a reference from Attorney General, Dominic Grieve QC.[260][261] The Lord Chief Justice stated that the offences were of the "greatest possible seriousness".[262]

A woman who had not taken part in the riots received five months for receiving a pair of stolen shorts. The sentence was later reduced on appeal.[263] Manchester police used Twitter to celebrate the five month sentence; they later apologised and removed the tweet.[264] A teenager was freed when prosecutors found evidence he had been wrongly charged with arson. While in prison, his own flat was burned down.[265][266] The detaining of under-18s without criminal records was criticised by UNICEF in October 2011 for possibly breaching the 1989 UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.[267] In August 2012, 1292 rioters were handed over a custodial sentence totalling 1800 years at 16.8 months on an average.[268]

Yes good old British CAPITALIST justice mind when you meet some of the NURDS that sit in the Bench no wonder :evil: :evil: as for these 2 dummies good riddance, and as blackpool points the Banksters walk free ffs

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE