Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

Britons abroad for longer than 15 years denied vote in general election
The decision has been branded unjust and unfair, particularly to those living in Europe.

Up to 3 million Britons living overseas are to be denied a vote in the general election, the Cabinet Office has confirmed.
In a letter sent to the New Europeans campaign group on Friday, the Cabinet Office said that “unfortunately” British citizens who had lived abroad for longer than 15 years would not be entitled to vote on 8 June.
The letter has prompted a furious reaction from Britons living abroad, and in Europe in particular, with campaign groups accusing the Conservatives of breaking yet another promise.
Nathan Lappin of the constitution group in the Cabinet Office told New Europeans that “there is no sufficient time to change the relevant primary and secondary legislation to enfranchise all British expats, scrapping the 15-year time limit, ahead of the dissolution of parliament before the general election.”
::Detailed coverage on snap General Election
The decision has been branded unjust and unfair, particularly to those living in Europe who will face life-changing challenges post-Brexit.
“The people most affected by the referendum were not allowed to vote in it, simply because they exercised their right to live in another country,” said Dave Spokes, one of the founders of the support group Expat Citizen Rights in EU. “Now it seems they will miss out again as their government has repeatedly failed to honour repeated promises to repeal this unjust and unfair rule.
“These people spent their lives working in the UK and many still pay taxes there. It is quite disgraceful that any government can so disregard so many of its citizens.”
Last October the government promised to scrap the current 15-year time limit as part of a bid to strengthen ties with emigrants following the decision to leave the EU.

The plans followed a court battle spearheaded by second world war veteran Harry Shindler, who fought in the the Battle of Anzio in Italy in 1944. The 95-year-old, who moved to Italy to be near his grandson in 1982, has been unable to vote in the UK since 1997 but cannot vote in Italy either.

As recently as February, constitution minister Chris Skidmore assured Shindler and others the government was on track, telling them “their stake in our country must be respected”.
In a written answer on the topic to New Europeans founder Roger Casale, Skidmore promised “this government will not deny them the opportunity to have their say in the country is governed”. He also revealed that government estimated “a further 3 million British citizens resident overseas will be enfranchised”.
Samia Badani, director of New Europeans, said the decision not to expedite legislation was devastating for Britons desperate to have a say on their own futures in Europe but it was not too late to get them on the electoral register. “The time for legislation is now. When there is a will, there is a way,” she said.
Badani said: “We are very disappointed – this is another broken promise. We have been campaigning for the removal of the 15-year rule – which is very arbitrary – for years. We were promised that at the next general election all UK citizens could vote, but it now looks like a double-whammy: they couldn’t vote in the referendum and now can’t vote in the next general election.”
The New Europeans group is demanding that the government rethinks its position. It also wants a commitment from the government and the electoral commission that it would urgently target overseas residents who are eligible to register for the vote. It believes tens of thousands of Britons abroad still have time to register, as the last time this happened more than 70,000 new voters were found.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm 

I think that it is quite right that people who live permanently overseas should not be allowed to vote here. What constituency would they be voting in?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:31 pm 

ANOTHER BROKEN PROMISE FROM THE FOOKIN TORY VERMIN......................ANYONE SURPRISED #-o

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 pm 

People generally move abroad because they are not happy in the country that they are living in = fair enough! Then the cheeky sods want a say in the country that they left behind :roll: no no no no no.

If you leave.......you leave, period.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 pm 

Quote:
People generally move abroad because they are not happy in the country that they are living in

FFS

If I moved abroad it would be nothing to do with being unhappy with government - it would be about being unhappy with the weather - even I don't blame the govt for that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 pm 

grandad wrote:
I think that it is quite right that people who live permanently overseas should not be allowed to vote here. What constituency would they be voting in?

I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 pm 

captain cab wrote:
FFS

If I moved abroad it would be nothing to do with being unhappy with government - it would be about being unhappy with the weather - even I don't blame the govt for that

You could just move South, but still stay in the Country CC. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
People generally move abroad because they are not happy in the country that they are living in

FFS

Try reading the post PROPERLY #-o I said "people move abroad because they are not happy with the COUNTRY that they are living in". It could be for a multitude of reasons (usually the weather being the prime suspect)..........I NEVER mentioned/blamed the GOVERNMENT. Having said that; If you leave (for whatever reason), then you should have NO say in the running of the country. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am 

Quite right too..these folk have turned their back on Britain to live a cheaper life elsewhere and to avoid the Taxation of the UK...no Tax no Say.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 am 

cabby john wrote:
People generally move abroad because they are not happy in the country that they are living in = fair enough! Then the cheeky sods want a say in the country that they left behind :roll: no no no no no.

If you leave.......you leave, period.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:33 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
whilst I understand what you are saying most of these people still have family friends and possibly even property and investments in the UK I can understand why they would want a vote

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 pm 

edders23 wrote:
whilst I understand what you are saying most of these people still have family friends and possibly even property and investments in the UK I can understand why they would want a vote

Its called.........Having the penny,the bun.......and eating it =;

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 pm 

edders23 wrote:

maybe you can understand them wanting a vote but you vote in the constituency that you live in. If you live abroad and have done for some time, you don't have a constituency to vote in so how can you have a vote? Or do we have a special constituency just for ex pats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

maybe you can understand them wanting a vote but you vote in the constituency that you live in. If you live abroad and have done for some time, you don't have a constituency to vote in so how can you have a vote? Or do we have a special constituency just for ex pats.

how about the constituency of their birth ?

by the way you misunderstood my post I'm not saying they should get a vote just that I understand why they would want one

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 am 

grandad wrote:

I agree 100%