Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
so two major resignations but may gets her plan approved but much to the annoyance of the Americans and at the risk of Bo Jo the clown challenging her leadership

the question is which would be the least worse option a faustian pact with the EU or no deal which would be Bo-Jo's result

neither of which would be quite what people voted for especially as the May scenario might involve the setting up of migrant camps in the Uk and loads of additional immigrants which would appease the EU as it would be taking their biggest problem off their hands

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 am 

edders23 wrote:
the May scenario might involve the setting up of migrant camps in the Uk and loads of additional immigrants which would appease the EU as it would be taking their biggest problem off their hands

Explain?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 pm 

There was always going to be a price we have to pay for leaving the EU.

Thankfully I and the majority of those that voted believe it was a price worth paying.

So leave without a deal, work on existing World Trade rates, and let's deal with the rest of the world, and bring some of the best of rest of the world here to work with us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
the May scenario might involve the setting up of migrant camps in the Uk and loads of additional immigrants which would appease the EU as it would be taking their biggest problem off their hands

Explain?

I believe we have been asked as part of the deal to accept one of the new migrant camps to be set up to deal with the migrant crisis. Although I did read it on huffington post which is not the most reliable news site

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:19 am 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Explain?

I believe we have been asked as part of the deal to accept one of the new migrant camps to be set up to deal with the migrant crisis. Although I did read it on huffington post which is not the most reliable news site

There is no mention of this in any official documents and if it were the case then I think the news on the tele would have picked it up by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 am 

Sussex wrote:
There was always going to be a price we have to pay for leaving the EU.

Thankfully I and the majority of those that voted believe it was a price worth paying.

So leave without a deal, work on existing World Trade rates, and let's deal with the rest of the world, and bring some of the best of rest of the world here to work with us.

The big problem of leaving on WTO terms is the border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Leaving without a deal would mean a hard border and that is something that neither side is willing to accept because of the good Friday agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:39 pm 

as the saying goes where there's a will there's a way I don't think either side has the will to create something new but workable such as a virtual hard border so we are stuck with something that suits Northern Ireland but NOT the rest of the UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 pm 

grandad wrote:
The big problem of leaving on WTO terms is the border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Leaving without a deal would mean a hard border and that is something that neither side is willing to accept because of the good Friday agreement.

I see the Irish border as a red herring.

Very easily sorted.

We simply say we are not going to charge any duty to any products that come across that border.

If the EU wants to charge us the other way, then so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

I see the Irish border as a red herring.

Very easily sorted.

We simply say we are not going to charge any duty to any products that come across that border.

If the EU wants to charge us the other way, then so be it.

So good go from France to the republic and straight into the uk without any checking or duties. That could be goods from virtually anywhere in the world. Straight over the border between the 2 Irelands and across the sea to liverpool. Yep, that sounds like the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 pm 

grandad wrote:
So good go from France to the republic and straight into the uk without any checking or duties. That could be goods from virtually anywhere in the world. Straight over the border between the 2 Irelands and across the sea to liverpool. Yep, that sounds like the answer.

Surely a world without duty is the answer.

Taking into account it is us, the people, that pay those duties.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm 

Just cut the ties and tell the EU to eff off, we don't need them they need us. It's a bankrupt organisation pillaging money from other EU countries to spend as they please. The sooner we stop sucking the tit of the EU the better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:08 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
Just cut the ties and tell the EU to eff off, we don't need them they need us. It's a bankrupt organisation pillaging money from other EU countries to spend as they please. The sooner we stop sucking the tit of the EU the better.

If it wasn't for the Irish border I would tend to agree with you. And don't forget that I was a remainer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 pm 

grandad wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

If it wasn't for the Irish border I would tend to agree with you. And don't forget that I was a remainer.

I don't see the problem with the Irish border, if it means putting a hard border back in to place go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
grandad wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

I don't see the problem with the Irish border, if it means putting a hard border back in to place go for it.

That would inevitably lead to a return to the violence of the 70s and 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:29 pm 

grandad wrote:
That would inevitably lead to a return to the violence of the 70s and 80s.

Let them have it, it's no good to us, it's just a money pit.