Taxi Driver Online
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/

minimum wage
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35181
Page 1 of 1

Author:  grandad [ Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  minimum wage

With both the Tories and Labour saying they are going to increase the minimum wage to at least £10.00 per hour, how many Councils will agree to increase fares to enable drivers to actually earn that much?
The increase is just short of 22 %.

Author:  StuartW [ Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

grandad wrote:
With both the Tories and Labour saying they are going to increase the minimum wage to at least £10.00 per hour, how many Councils will agree to increase fares to enable drivers to actually earn that much?
The increase is just short of 22 %.


So what would be the required fare level, then?

Whereabouts on the PHTM tables, approximately?

https://www.phtm.co.uk/newspaper/taxi-f ... gue-tables

Author:  Sussex [ Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

grandad wrote:
With both the Tories and Labour saying they are going to increase the minimum wage to at least £10.00 per hour, how many Councils will agree to increase fares to enable drivers to actually earn that much?
The increase is just short of 22 %.

Be interesting to see how councils refuse to raise fares to ensure, at the very least, that taxi drivers earn the minimum wage.

Author:  edders23 [ Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

FFFFFFFFFFForget the PHTM tables they are useless and incorrect

there used to be an AA formula for calculating vehicle operating costs which was far more accurate

The thing above all else is we are self employed therefore we do NOT have fixed hours so the hourly rate of NMW doesn't apply

the calculation should be 35 x 10.00 = 350 minus tax and national insurance which would be approx £3100 assuming standard tax code which = £15100

so assuming a conservative 48 hours that is £6.05 per hour plus vehicle operating costs which would probably approximately £3 an hour

So £9.00 an hour over 48 hours or about £7.25 based on a 60 hour working week

Now to test how bad or good you lot are at maths spot the deliberate mistake :badgrin: :badgrin:

Author:  Sussex [ Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

Quote:
The thing above all else is we are self employed therefore we do NOT have fixed hours so the hourly rate of NMW doesn't apply

Some will say, and IMO for good reason, that many of those on circuits are not self employed.

But are you saying we should base our finances on working 70/80 hours a week?

Author:  grandad [ Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

edders23 wrote:
FFFFFFFFFFForget the PHTM tables they are useless and incorrect

there used to be an AA formula for calculating vehicle operating costs which was far more accurate

The thing above all else is we are self employed therefore we do NOT have fixed hours so the hourly rate of NMW doesn't apply

the calculation should be 35 x 10.00 = 350 minus tax and national insurance which would be approx £3100 assuming standard tax code which = £15100

so assuming a conservative 48 hours that is £6.05 per hour plus vehicle operating costs which would probably approximately £3 an hour

So £9.00 an hour over 48 hours or about £7.25 based on a 60 hour working week

Now to test how bad or good you lot are at maths spot the deliberate mistake :badgrin: :badgrin:
Standard tax code is 1250L or £12,500 per year.

Author:  edders23 [ Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
The thing above all else is we are self employed therefore we do NOT have fixed hours so the hourly rate of NMW doesn't apply

Some will say, and IMO for good reason, that many of those on circuits are not self employed.

But are you saying we should base our finances on working 70/80 hours a week?



If you read my post I was suggesting a 48 hour week to base the calculations on :wink: or 60 if you are a grafter

Author:  Sussex [ Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

Quote:
If you read my post I was suggesting a 48 hour week to base the calculations on :wink: or 60 if you are a grafter

I do get where you are coming from, but why should our trade have to work 48 hours to get what the government says is the minimum for working 37 hours a week?

Author:  edders23 [ Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
If you read my post I was suggesting a 48 hour week to base the calculations on :wink: or 60 if you are a grafter

I do get where you are coming from, but why should our trade have to work 48 hours to get what the government says is the minimum for working 37 hours a week?



because for us work has peaks and troughs we have to be available at times when customers need us and 48 is the level set by the working time directive is it not

it's not as if we work in an office where there is a pile of stuff waiting on your desk and you crack on with it

Author:  Sussex [ Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: minimum wage

Quote:
because for us work has peaks and troughs we have to be available at times when customers need us and 48 is the level set by the working time directive is it not

It's the maximum, not the normal. That's 37 hours (ish).

Thing is most of us work more than 48 anyway, as most of us have too.

That's my point, we shouldn't have to.

Our trade is far too cheap during unsocial hours. Punters moan about Uber's surge, but it does the trick.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/