Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:58 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
So Suella has been criticised for describing the arrival of 1000's of illegal migrants on UK beaches as an invasion

to be honest i think that's a good description of what is going on

anyone agree with me or do you all think she went too far

better still M can you set up a poll ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:49 pm 

Plenty of people have criticised the use of the word "invasion" but I haven't heard any of them offer an alternative word.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:40 pm 

I don’t think invasion is too strong a word.

I just think too many people spend too much time searching the internet desperate to find things to be offended by.

I think they are commonly called sad f***ers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:06 am 

Not a word I would use to describe what's going on, but in the grand scheme of things there's surely things in the world more deserving of the term Nazi than what Suella Braverman said, which is how the wilder fringe have been characterising her :-s

But, as Sussex alludes, it's offence mongering and hyperbole by people who have little sense of proportion, or at least that's how they look. But, of course, a lot of it is performative politics and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Funny thing is, though, that Braverman should have known what the reaction would be to using such an inflammatory term, so she either used it deliberately to stoke tensions, or she's a tad lacking in self-awareness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:50 am 

StuartW wrote:
Not a word I would use to describe what's going on,

There you go, another one saying they wouldn't use "that word" without saying what word they would use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:46 pm 

NO...it's not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:47 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I don’t think invasion is too strong a word.

I just think too many people spend too much time searching the internet desperate to find things to be offended by.

I think they are commonly called sad f***ers.

Spot on =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:22 pm 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Not a word I would use to describe what's going on,

There you go, another one saying they wouldn't use "that word" without saying what word they would use.

'Influx' wouldn't go down too well either, but it's slightly less harsh than invasion.

Or how about 'incursion'? Which means the same as invasion, but again I don't think it would be the open goal for the virtue signallers that 'invasion' represents.

I'm sure there are plenty other words that a click on a thesaurus would suggest, but can't be bothered looking.

But how about she said something like 'mass movement of people' rather than 'invasion'? Less of a hostage to fortune for the lefties, and less likely to grate with the vast swathe of middle ground voters, who may not like what's going on in the Channel, but they don't like the way Braverman is getting the extremes of the left and right worked up.

Problem is, the people who tend to make most noise are towards the left and right rather than the moderate centre, who tend to keep their heads down, but are ultimately the ones who win and lose elections.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:24 pm 

so far this year 40000 have crossed the channel

in 1066 two armies invaded Great Britain the Vikings who were defeated at Stamford bridge by Harold had 9000 and the Normans who defeated Harold at the battle of Hastings had 7000

that's less than half the number so in terms of sheer numbers that's twice as many and if what you read on the internet has any substance much of it is being used as cover to bring in Albanian drug gangs to wreak havoc with a wave of crime

so that suggests to me that this is in fact an invading army of sorts from Albania

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:02 am 

edders23 wrote:

I read somewhere the other day that the total number of people entering illegally is much the same as other years only the method of entry has changed. More come on boats now where as previously they came in the back of lorries.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:59 am 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

I read somewhere the other day that the total number of people entering illegally is much the same as other years only the method of entry has changed. More come on boats now where as previously they came in the back of lorries.

It's still 40000 too many and they expect to get given housing ,money and food when 100's of thousands of British born people can't afford to feed themselves

It is not our fault people in far flung reaches of the world have too many children and economic hardship ensues but the expectation is that we will take in the excess and if it continues at some point the country will go bankrupt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:20 am 

Actually the number quoted was nearer 70,000 for all entry points.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:33 pm 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

It's still 40000 too many and they expect to get given housing ,money and food when 100's of thousands of British born people can't afford to feed themselves

It is not our fault people in far flung reaches of the world have too many children and economic hardship ensues but the expectation is that we will take in the excess and if it continues at some point the country will go bankrupt

The Tories have already bankrupted the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:43 pm 

heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

The Tories have already bankrupted the UK.
as did Tony Blair before them :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:08 pm 

Quote "The size of the foreign-born population in the UK increased from about 5.3 million in 2004 to over 9.5 million in 2021"

How many is too many, the above is too many.